PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Exclusive Stainless 10/22s from the 80's

luvsasmith
April 22, 2009, 10:43 PM
Walmart exclusive Ruger 10/22 with stainless barrel and action and laminated stock. Anyone remember these? Just curious what you riflers might think of them. I'm more of a handgun guy myself but I think they were beautiful guns.

Flumph
April 22, 2009, 10:55 PM
They still make a stainless bbl/action with a laminated wood stock. Bad pic, but i have one:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x68/sandcrab2/photo4.jpg

I love mine. Have yet to fire it though.

stokesj19
April 22, 2009, 11:49 PM
I do love the look of that gun. Something about the stainless.

CajunBass
April 23, 2009, 04:36 AM
This one isn't from the 80's but from 1995. It's a pretty good shooting little gun. It's got a 3x9x40 Simmons scope on it now that I need to sight in.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/001-1.jpg

Pahoo
April 23, 2009, 10:45 AM
The one I remember is a black laminated international with SS barrel and silver reciever. It came with a black Ruger sling. Other than that, they were pretty much the same as any other 10/22 and yes they were/are very nice looking. I prefer the older ones to the recent issue especially when they started using more plastic. They use the term synthetic and the truth is that that they are all made of a plastic resin with different qualities but still plastic. :barf:

Be Safe !!!

thinkingman
April 23, 2009, 11:03 AM
To get a stainless receiver, you need to contact an aftermarket supplier, like Volquartsen.
I don't know if Ruger ever made stainless receivers.
Current is aluminium

Pahoo
April 23, 2009, 11:15 AM
Although listed, I don't think that luvsasmith ment that in the strictest sense. The only Ruger steel I have seen is on the upper reiciver housing of the 10/22 Mag. and internals as well as internals of the trigger groups. Now they are silver plastic.

Be Safe !!!

Gewehr98
April 23, 2009, 01:44 PM
Those are factory stainless barrels, with silver-finished aluminum receivers.

Volquartsen is the source of 10/22 receivers machined from stainless steel.

I've seen folks just bead-blast the finish off their 10/22s to match the aftermarket stainless heavy barrels, and put on a coat of clear enamel to protect those receivers from corrosion.

Kreyzhorse
April 23, 2009, 01:47 PM
I bought a gray laminated stock / stainless 10/22 from Wally. Great little .22 and still a very nice looking gun. Have no idea if it's a Walmart exclusive or not, but bought it in early 1990s.

luvsasmith
April 24, 2009, 07:35 PM
To get a stainless receiver, you need to contact an aftermarket supplier, like Volquartsen.
Current is aluminum.

It is with shame and a lowered chin that I tell you I did not know Ruger didn't make stainless recievers. (Even as aforementioned rifle sits in my collection.)

:o

luvsasmith
April 24, 2009, 07:37 PM
I love mine. Have yet to fire it though.

Mine is over 20 years old and it has never been shot either. You are in good (well, decent anyway :D) company.

L_Killkenny
April 24, 2009, 08:42 PM
I have one from the early 90's. It's been thru hell:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii178/L_Killkenny/IMG_1608.jpg

I don't believe they had em in the 80's but I could be wrong.

LK

luvsasmith
April 25, 2009, 10:44 AM
They had them in the 80's.

Flumph
April 25, 2009, 02:53 PM
Don't knock on the plastic.

It's actually very high strength material, equivalent to aluminum. I think it might actually outperform aluminum.

All the stress-bearing and mechanically functional components (reciever, hammer, sear, disconnector, bolt, etc) are still steel. Nothing is wrong with plastic as long as it's not crappy plastic.

In fact, some bulletproof vests are plastic. Plastic can be molded at very high speeds, unlike aluminum which must be machined.

And, as far as i know, the recievers have always been aluminum.