PDA

View Full Version : We need some gun brains.

Lavan
April 6, 2000, 05:59 PM
I was reading a thread on here about using handloads for carry. Concensus seemed to be that it would be a bad idea. And that makes sense. After all, a lawyer could have a field day with a jury asking in foreboding tones, "Sir, are you telling us that in your spare time, you make BULLETS at home? Bullets that you used to KILL my client?"...ad nauseum.

Wouldn't it be nice if the reloading manuals printed a suggested load for self DEFENSE.

It could be FULL of disclaimers, but still be worded so that it could be used as rebuttal to stupidity in the courts.

pack_rat
April 6, 2000, 10:02 PM
"No, Counselor. The bullets in question were factory made. Now, would you please instruct your client to stop drawing flies?"

VictorLouis
April 6, 2000, 11:00 PM
All right, here goes:
Ladies and gentlemand of the jury, the prosecutor has focused on my client's use of homemade ammunition in the defense of his life. He seems to believe that my client should have used a premium brand, just like that issued to your police,
which is paid for by your tax dollars. You see, my client visits the firing range twice a month, whereas, the police only do so twice PER YEAR. My client is responsible enough to know that he should practice with the ammunition that he carries.
You see, years ago, the police practiced with low powered .38 ammunition, which is cheap, and then loaded it for work with the FAR more powerful and expensive.357 MAGNUM. A round so powerful that it wrenches the wrist of the shooter, and can penetrate a car engine block! Was it really a surprise then, that when forced to fire their guns in-the-line-of-duty, they often missed the offender?
Quite simply, my client could not afford the use of such ammo, and to use it sparingly would have made him irresponsible like the police training of yesteryear.
Was my client less entitled to survive his attack, because he used cheaper ammo? Are your children less entitled to good meals because you can only afford to cook at home? Are you less entitled to drive your family around because you can only afford an economy car filled with low-grade unleaded?
The prosecutor has made issue of my client's so-called "Super High Powered" ammunition. And in so doing, he has admitted my client had every right to shoot, just not with the prosecutor'e 'boogie man' bullets.

FUD
April 7, 2000, 09:13 AM
VictorLouis, well put!

Erik
April 7, 2000, 11:46 AM
It is a matter of your lawer shutting the argument down. This is a lethal force issue, and fom a legal point of view cartridge A is just as lethal as cartridge B. The argument is irrelevant, and proper preparation on the part of you and you defense will resolve the issue.

Erik
April 7, 2000, 11:48 AM
I liken it to baseball bats. Legally, am I at greater risk for using an aluminum baseball bat to smack an attacker? If it is wood?