PDA

View Full Version : No More MilSurp Ammo Cans?

Matt VDW
April 5, 2000, 03:59 PM
I recall reading sometime in the last couple of years that the US military had been ordered to stop selling its used ammo cans. The cans were to be crushed and sold as scrap rather than sold intact.

Is this true? It seems like a stupid thing to do, but then again, look at who's in the White House. :( I've also noticed that the supply of 5.56mm and 7.62mm ammo cans for sale seems to have diminished while prices have risen.

Alan B
April 5, 2000, 04:15 PM
The guy who had the contract for all the surplus cans From Lake City sells at the KC gun shows and left the business because they are crushing the cans now. Where they were around a dollar apiece now they are getting a penny a pound.

I am ready for Bill to go work on the Clinton Presidential library and adult bookstore myself

Danger Dave
April 6, 2000, 06:45 AM
I thought they had converted to plastic disposable packaging about 10 yrs ago.

The story I heard was that the military was re-using the old cans until they were no longer useful, then destroying them. A cost-saving move. I think it started prior to the Clinton Admininstration.

Matt VDW
April 6, 2000, 07:14 AM
I don't know what sort of packaging is in use now but I know from first hand experience that the steel ammo cans were still around in 1994. Considering the abuse that those cans take and the extra volume that would be required for plastic containers, I'll bet they're still in use.

By the way, part of the reason I'm interested in this is a news report I heard about expiration dates for prescription drugs. Apparently most drugs will last well beyond the expiration dates printed on the bottles if they're stored in a cool, dry location. A little light bulb lit over my head as I realized that Uncle Sam could help the senior citizens save millions of dollars by distributing surplus ammo cans to use for drug storage. The drugs would stay fresh longer so the poor, victimized seniors wouldn't have to shell out so much to the pharmaceutical companies for replacements.

If we could just get the AARP behind this we'd be back to $3 ammo cans at every gun show in no time. ;)

dZ
April 6, 2000, 07:54 AM
i bought 2 cans at a show last weekend & i asked the guy about this. He said some bases are separating the cans from the lids and you have to buy a pallet of each. He also said some Bases are flantening the cans & scraping them.

Buy some fer yer kids sake!

dZ

PDshooter
April 7, 2000, 12:11 AM
Hi Guys, I"am in the Illinois Guard.We go to range fire at least once, a year. All the ammo we draw is sealed cans. And all must be turned in on Sunday I have not heard of topic? before