PDA

View Full Version : Private Firearms Sale?

CANIS
April 6, 2000, 04:53 PM
In Texas (or other states for that matter) Do you have to go through an FFL to sell a handgun privately to an individual? I just thought I'd check since it's been awhile since I've bought or sold anything other than through a dealer.

Thank you very much!

Chris Canis

alan
April 6, 2000, 05:31 PM
Personally, I would check with a good source for such information, perhaps the state attorney general's office.

People posting to discussion sites might mean well, but might also be WRONG. Your friends could be right, though they could be wrong too, and YOU could have a large problem, relying on someone's WRONG GUESS.

bruels
April 6, 2000, 05:36 PM
In California, all private tranactions must go through a FFL, are subject to background check of the purchaser, and subject to a ten day waiting period. If the purchaser is prohibited from taking delivery, a background check must be made on the seller to ensure he/she is not a "prohibited" person.

Persons retrieving their firearms from pawn shops must also undergo a background check as if they were purchasing the firearm.

USMCGrunt
April 6, 2000, 05:49 PM
Here in ND where fortunatley we still have a lot of our 2nd Ammendment rights on the state level, you give the seller the money, the seller gives you the gun. No paperwork is involved at all on any cash and carry transactions. Yeah, we may have cold winters, no Bay Watch babes in bikini's running around, and a farm economy that is the worst in 50 years, but at least we have pretty decent gun ownership rights. :)

Greg G
April 6, 2000, 06:16 PM
Chris,
You don't have to go through an FFL on a private sale here in Texas. I have done a lot of private transactions at gunshows in the DFW area. You do need to be sure the individual you are selling to is a Texas resident and is 21 years old or over. If you are selling one, get as much info on the buyer as possible especially if you purchased the gun through a dealer. If the gun ever gets used in a crime and they trace it to you, you can tell them who you transfered it to.

CANIS
April 6, 2000, 06:24 PM
Thanks folks! I feel confident that the purchaser of my firearm is a respectable individual. That new P32 is MINE come Saturday!!!

Chris Canis