PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with wolf ammo?

xraygunlover
April 21, 2009, 07:57 PM
So it seems as though the only ammo left on the shelves is wolf ammo. I've heard that the steel cases aren't good for your gun. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of ammo? Any comments about it good or bad?

David the Gnome
April 21, 2009, 08:09 PM
I've had problems out of Wolf ammo in almost every gun I've ever used it in. I don't know why and I don't believe the case material is the only contributing factor.

Webleymkv
April 21, 2009, 08:13 PM
Wolf steel-cased ammo has worked OK in all the guns I've tried it in, though they've all been Russian-designed (AK, SKS, Mosin, and Makarov). My dad tried some in his AR-15 and converted MAS 49-56 with no problems. I have had problems with Brown/Golden/Silver Bear steel and "bi-metal" cased ammo and would advise you to avoid that stuff.

Powdersmoke
April 21, 2009, 08:28 PM
I've been shooting Wolf 9mm fmj with the polymer coated steel cases in my 5" Springfield XD and my Kahr CW9 with no problems.

Bauer
April 21, 2009, 08:39 PM
Make sure you clean!

StiveC2007
April 21, 2009, 08:46 PM
it sucks dont buy for any gun especially handguns shot it out of my dads 9mm first bullet failed to fire second one stovepiped and when threw another full magazine and it started to either not feed or it kept stove piping and trust me it was the ammo cause we also shot about 5 more clips of winchester no problem at all and plus the gun was dirtiest ive ever seen a gun

djohn
April 21, 2009, 09:14 PM
I used it back about a yr ago 9mm in my glock and No failures of any kind but after about a hundred rounds the gun was fifty dirty in fact couldn't even make it through a mag with out wiping the front site.:barf:

srt 10 jimbo
April 21, 2009, 11:34 PM
All the bad things I've heard about it, never bought any. Use Umc for my Taurus pt101 and springfield XD, at the range:)

CT-Shooter
April 21, 2009, 11:35 PM
I've been shooting a lot of wolf 9mm 115gr from my glocks of late. It feeds fine, but it sure is dirty! :eek:

Willie Lowman
April 21, 2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I used to buy that crap 8-10 years ago. No more. I will sit in front of my single stage press and one at a time my bullets rather than deal with the carbon, copper, and lacquer left after that sorry excuse for ammo. (except in my AK-47)

darkgael
April 22, 2009, 04:59 AM
I started using Wolf ammo when it began to show up in this country years ago. At one point, you couldn't reload .45s for as cheap as the Wolf was selling. I bought a bunch of it. I have shot, literally, cases of their .45 ACP and 9mm Mak ammo. Maybe hard to believe but I have NEVER had a failure of any kind shooting either type of ammo. The firearms are a SA 1911, a Glock 36 and a Russian Makarov. And it hasn't hurt my guns.
As for it's being dirty.....all of my other .45 ammo uses Bullseye and the Wolf isn't any dirtier than that. Haven't bought any Wolf in a while so I don't know if it has changed. I know that the price has.
Pete

txstang84
April 22, 2009, 05:09 AM
Put 500 rounds of 9mm through my Taurus...no functional issues at all. It is very dirty though-anything you shoot it from will probably look like a coal shute after about 50 rounds, and your nose may burn a little from the burnt electrical tape smell, but it functions fine.

That bit about steel cases "hurting" your gun is at more than a little bit overblown unless you have a weapon made of something softer than the cases you're running through it. Most barrels are made of some grade of high strength steel...the cases are mild steel. There are stories of people having problems with the laquer covered cases-which is sorta kinda not really true. The funk that's generated from burning their cheap powder escapes in small amounts between the cartridge and the chamber wall due to the fact that steel casings don't expand anywhere near as much as brass; that leaves room for gases and fouling to escape in small amounts...when it fouls the chamber, extraction can be an issue. But, if you've got a clean, well-functioning firearm, you shouldn't have any issues with it.

Just try it out in small amounts first...if you have issues, or don't care for the aforementioned stink, then don't continue buying it.

Average Joe
April 22, 2009, 04:45 PM
Great ammo, if you can find it.

Tucker 1371
April 22, 2009, 04:57 PM
I shoot what's available and what I can afford. For my 5.45x39mm SAR-2 my choices are pretty limited so Wolf is just fine there. For other guns if I can find or afford anything else I usually buy that.

golfnutrlv
April 22, 2009, 04:59 PM
I have heard that its dirty, and that it puts out a lot of lead into the air.

It is banned at my indoor range because of bullet trap concerns, I think it has something to do with the jacket on the bullet.

I don't use it for anything!!

dairycreek
April 22, 2009, 05:01 PM
So it seems as though the only ammo left on the shelves is wolf ammo. I've heard that the steel cases aren't good for your gun. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of ammo? Any comments about it good or bad?

For me it has gone bang every time. Very dirty ammo!

Stan200
April 23, 2009, 12:23 AM
Works great in all of my pistols, but it's a little dirty. I like cleaning my pistols so I don't care much.

cracked91
April 23, 2009, 01:10 AM
Ive been told by multiple gun dealers than you don't wanna use anything except golden bear in anything semi auto, everthing else is fine, but only for manual action (what else is there to call it?) rifles/pistols. Don't know about the validity, just what ive been told

earlthegoat2
April 23, 2009, 01:55 AM
I love Wolf ammo in anything. It doesnt seem to last past 100 rnds though.

And yes it shoots dirty and there is a simple solution to this:

Clean your guns.

tjhands
April 23, 2009, 07:21 AM
I've shot Wolf in many calibers and the only one that I've had trouble with is .380acp. It's never my chosen manufacturer, except in 7.62X39, but it has worked well for me

I wonder if WildAlaska has an opinion on the stuff......;)

txstang84
April 23, 2009, 08:26 AM
Ive been told by multiple gun dealers than you don't wanna use anything except golden bear in anything semi auto

...did they happen to have a table covered, or bucket filled with golden bear ammo right next to them as they said this? :rolleyes:

The golden bear ammo is the same as wolf with one exception-the steel case is copper washed instead of laquer or polymer coated. that being said, there may be some validity based the somewhat forgiving properties of copper (embedibility, conformability, etc)...but it's only a coating-not a casing. The steel from which the casings are made still do not obturate as much as brass casings.

Housezealot
April 23, 2009, 08:49 AM
I just bought some .40 wolf last week and it didn't have that laquer crap on it that wolf had in the past, it fired fine and didn't make any more mess than any other ammo would have

HippieMagic
April 23, 2009, 09:08 AM
Filthy... it works but it is so dirty it is unreal. I have never had a failure with any of it but it requires a LOT of cleaning lol. My neighbors gun froze up because he forgot to clean it right after he was done... day or so later he was beating his SKS with a hammer lol. My friend used to use it all the time on his .40 though and my neighbor uses the .45ACP a lot... There is a box of .40 beside me still. It is cheap and it performs like it... accuracy is fine.

Housezealot
April 23, 2009, 09:18 AM
hippiemagic, have you tried a new box lately?, while its not the greatest stuff in the world i think you might be suprised at how much better it is now than it was a year ago (I suppose I may have just got a lucky batch)
the box i got the other day was not even remotley as dirty as it used to be.

ilbob
April 23, 2009, 09:47 AM
I have shot wolf ammo in various calibers including 22LR, 9mm, 45ACP, and probably a few others. The 9 and 45 were steel cased.

No unusual problems noted.

The 22LR smoke smelled funny, but it shot OK and was more accurate than I am.

Webleymkv
April 23, 2009, 11:35 AM
Ive been told by multiple gun dealers than you don't wanna use anything except golden bear in anything semi auto, everthing else is fine, but only for manual action (what else is there to call it?) rifles/pistols. Don't know about the validity, just what ive been told

I've actually had more trouble with Golden Bear and Silver Bear than with Wolf. Wolf's QC actually seems to be a bit better.