PDA

View Full Version : Is author Robin Cook an anti?

Darthmaum
April 1, 2000, 02:50 AM
Disclaimer: I want to say that Robin Cook is not my usual author to read. I much prefer Clancy, Cussler, Eddings and George RR Martin.

Anyways, my Mom passed on a recent Robin Cook novel called Vector. Having finally read all 15 or so of the other books my husband has been pestering me to read, I sat down and read it.

Aside from the miniscule plot, and the fact that Mr. Cook knows nothing about weapons (A full auto M1? Pahleeze...) I was very disappointed (to say the least) with the anti-gun stance one of the main characters took. In addition, the antagonists in the novel were an extreme right-wing, Neo-Nazi Militia, who were portrayed as gun-totin' 2nd amendment spoutin' wackos who were anti-gubmit, anti-IRS etc., bent on destruction.

The overall tone of the book was definitely anti-gun. One of the main characters berates another character for stating "Guns don't kill people...people kill people."

I am curious: Does anyone know if Robin Cook is anti-gun in the real world? I've read a few of his other books, and none that I remember have ever taken one side or the other.

Sorry fer the rambling, my Actifed is kicking in and I can't think worth a darn! (but then agin, I never can...) I really hate it when I know what I want to say, but can't verbalize it, so to speak. :)

------------------
"Liberty or death, What we so proudly hail... Once you provoke Her, rattling of Her tail- Never begins it, NEVER- But once engaged never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage. DON'T TREAD ON ME!!

"Many's the men who've battled foe
many the number slain,
many the lads have fallen though
Scotland shall rise again."

Victor Romen
April 1, 2000, 03:49 AM
I don't know about the authors politics, but I don't doubt the conclusion you came to (their probably an anti). However I just wanted to clear some things up about the M1 he was talking about. There is, from what I can tell, 3 different M1's:
M1 Garand (pretty sure all versions were semi-auto only)
M1 Carbine (M1 was semi-auto, but M2 and M3 versions were select fire, which might lead to some confusion)
M1A/M14 (there are select fire versions of the M14, but I don't know if any of the M1A's were select fire)
So he could have been wrong or right depending on which one he was talking about. I'm also no expert on these rifles (closet I've come to shooting any of these is a Mini-14, which are a lot of fun by the way) so if anybody has any other information on these rifles please correct me if I got anything wrong.

[This message has been edited by Victor Romen (edited April 01, 2000).]

jeffelkins
April 1, 2000, 06:50 PM
I've read quite a few of Cook's novels and guns don't stick out in my memory as playing a big part. I forget the title of last one I read (it concerned the meat-packing industry) but the physician-hero (Cook is a physician) had a horror of handguns and zero technical knowledge or gunhandling abilities. He did manage to whack a BG if I remember correctly :)

Darthmaum
April 1, 2000, 07:33 PM
Victor,
Given Mr. Cooks' other ignoramous(sp?) statements about firearms in the novel, I just assumed he was referring to the M1 Garand, although you're right, he could have been referring to the M14 or the others you mentioned.

I had this vision in my head of one of the skinheads mowin' someone down with that big heavy Garand, w/ cases flying everywhere! :)