PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92F/FS

fowlman61
April 17, 2009, 10:26 PM
I have been wanting to buy a Beretta 92FS for some time now. I can buy new 92FS models that are made in the USA for about $600.00. Today I ran across a 92F Beretta that is in really good condition. This particular model is made in Italy. I can buy it for $500.00. I wanted to find out the difference in the 92F and the 92FS as well as the difference in the ones made in the USA verses the ones made in Italy. I've always heard that the Italian made models are tighter fitting and harder to find. I was hoping someone with more Beretta experience than myself, could tell me which would be a better investment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HorseSoldier
April 17, 2009, 10:38 PM
The F doesn't have the redesign to keep a separating slide from coming back into your face -- shouldn't make any difference whatsoever as long as you don't plan on feeding it nothing but +P ammo (and even then probably wouldn't matter).

txstang84
April 18, 2009, 05:19 AM
Never heard of the slide coming back in your face issue with Berettas...I have however split the barrel above the locking block on my PT99 from shooting too many hot handloads. Won't do that again...

jmr40
April 18, 2009, 05:54 AM
Back in the mid to late 80's shortly after the military adopted the Beretta they had a few slides break while firing some hot military ammo. A few soldiers were injured when the slide hit them in the face. Beretta made improvements to the gun and I have not heard of any issues in years. If it has ever happened to a civilian shooter I have not heard of it.

I do not have a Beretta currently but have had 3 over the years including 1 made in Italy, and have shot others. Over all I like the gun. It fits me well enough although some think the grip is too large. In my experience the quality seems to vary from one gun to another depending on when it was made rather than where. The best shooter I had was a beater I picked up in a pawn shop for $250. Almost no finish left on it but it had the best trigger and was the most accurate. The Itailian made version had the worst trigger and I shot it the worst of the 3, although it was the best finished.

If you like the Beretta get one. You could do a lolt worse in a handgun.

shurshot
April 18, 2009, 06:28 AM
Yes, what was that quote in the late 80's... "You are not a Navy Seal, until you have tasted Italian steel"?

Or something like that, refering to the slide coming apart and hitting men in the teeth (although this was on a few guns w/over 100,000 rounds of +P or something like that through them.. My 92FS is solid, and I have no fear of it coming apart.