PDA

View Full Version : WTH? Mouseguns?

SundownRider
April 16, 2009, 09:50 PM
Have a situation here. I have shot Cowboy guns for years, never shooting anything less than a .40 caliber gun. I have owned .40 S&W guns for several years, my current gun being a full size SIG P226. I am now shooting IDPA, and my preferred caliber is .40.
I picked up a Walther PPK not too long ago, and began reloading for it. Since that time, I have purchased a Browning BDA in .380, a Third Model Smith and Wesson break top in .38 S&W, and am now considering a Baby Browning in .25 ACP and a Ruger LCP.
I have owned .45 ACP's and 44 magnums and enjoyed both.
But I am getting smaller guns in smaller calibers.

Is this something that comes with age? (I turned 40 last month)

6x6pinz
April 16, 2009, 10:17 PM
A little of it is age and the rest is just becoming man enough to know that the smaller calibers work just as well in the hands of a skilled shooter.

Welcome to the dark side:)

Wildalaska
April 16, 2009, 10:38 PM
You are more secure in your masculinity ;)

WildyoudontneedabiggunsubstituteAlaska TM

hoytinak
April 16, 2009, 11:46 PM
As stated in another thread: :cool:

After you have carried for many years, you will realize the meth crazed, 300 lb. zombie biker is really not after you at all-and that a small, comfortable gun is all that is necessary.

fast-eddie
April 17, 2009, 05:52 AM
All I been carrying is a PT 22 lately, fits in my pocket and I'm dead on with it. I bought it for my girlfriend, but she hasn't shown any interest. I hope my grips come in soon, the ones that came on it are pink. A mans man uses pink grips. ;)

Kreyzhorse
April 17, 2009, 06:53 AM
I prefer a .45 or a .357 for carry, but, I also realized that some times a mouse gun will go places the bigger guns won't go. My main carry of late has been a .380 Ruger LCP and I'm not troubled by that at all. :)

It's okay, come to the Mouse Side!

KyJim
April 17, 2009, 08:31 AM
With maturity comes wisdom. :) I prefer bigger calibers like .45 acp but also often carry smaller calibers and smaller guns, especially in warmer weather where lighter clothing makes concealment harder. I have even been known to carry a .25 acp on rare occasion.

I just got a Ruger LCP so I could retire my Colt Mustang (both are .380s) as a summer, pocket-carry pistol. This is something I can't do with my 1911s.

The Great Mahoo
April 17, 2009, 09:20 AM
Mouseguns are great. While I beleive its better to have a bigger gun, its just not practical to tote around bulky and heavy guns you will most-likely never need. As long as you are poficient with it, feel safe with it, and are happy with it, by all means carry a mouse gun; they are much more comfortable and a lot easier to always have with you.

tirod
April 17, 2009, 09:47 AM
Mouse guns work better for deep concealed carry. I just don't think I can CCW a G19 in a shoulder holster under a work shirt well - but a LCP in a Kangaroo, much more likely.

Some employers don't want to know as much as even need to know. Mouseguns offer the alternative to nothing at all. It beats English Leather.

Microgunner
April 17, 2009, 10:09 AM
Is this something that comes with age? (I turned 40 last month)

Yep....and this is what you'll be craving eventually.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/Microgunner/peashooter.jpg

SundownRider
April 17, 2009, 11:06 AM
LOL!
I'm hoping my non-alcoholic fatty liver disease will kill me before then.

a7mmnut
April 17, 2009, 11:27 AM
+1 for either a PT22 or NAA mini.

-7-

David Armstrong
April 17, 2009, 11:45 AM
As we grow older some of us come to the realization that of all the things that will make a difference in a gunfight, caliber is usually at the bottom of the list.

Chesster
April 17, 2009, 12:49 PM
Welcome to mousegunning. I have a baby Browning, but might I suggest a Beretta 950, 950B, or 950BS in the 6.35mm Browning caliber? 8 shots, easier to hold on to, tip up bbl, and wonderfully reliable little guns.

Microgunner
April 17, 2009, 01:00 PM
in the 6.35mm Browning caliber?

aka .25ACP

christcorp
April 17, 2009, 03:22 PM
While my #1 carry gun is my Sig P220 45acp; it isn't always practical. A lot of my carrying is done with a Walther PPK 32auto; and more recently, an FEG AP-MBP 32 auto (Walther Clone) - Because my wife likes the Walther 32 auto and won't give it up.

And those who believe that the mouse guns don't have a legitimate place and use, are suffering from "Bore Envy". Bigger ISN'T always better. And I've shot too many guns to know 1st hand that a tiny little sawed off revolver in 357 mag; or some tiny compact semi in 45acp; most of the time totally sucks. There's a reason the 45acp and 357 mag were put on frames/barrels the size they were originally. Trying to shrink it down to a pocket gun is stupid. And after you hand stops buzzing, and you hope the target you aimed at is hit, then you'll understand. Personally; having a 32/380 for a pocket gun that you are proficient with, is a better gun than a pocket model of a bigger caliber gun. There is definitely a place for the 25, 32, and 380.

I'm not a fan of the 9mm at all. It's an old military round, so it had it's niche and I respect it. But I'd never own one; at any size. The 40 is about as low on my crap list. After the FBI realized the 9mm was a very ineffective gun for day to day duty; the commissioned for the 10mm/40 in hopes of coming up with the effectiveness of the 45acp and the cartridge capacity of a 9mm. Well, that's fine for the military and police. But the average person realized that they don't need 15 rounds. Not for personal protection. So the middle calibers really don't compare. They can be argued for, but not justified. A 45acp with 7 rounds (For a semi-auto) or a 357 mag with 6 rounds (For a revolver) is perfect for the higher end. A 32auto or 380 auto is perfect on the other end when a 45 or 357 can't be carried.

Enjoy your "Mouse Gun". Don't think of it as something that comes with age. Think of it as something that comes with "Maturity and experience". Again; I'm not dogging any caliber itself. A 40s&w is obviously better than a 32 or 380. The point is, the 40 was designed to try and be an "All around gun for all occasions". No gun can do that. No matter what some people try and tell you. A Crescent Wrench might be able to remove some bolts, but it can't do it all. Neither can just 1 flathead screwdriver. Well, neither can a single gun be all things. It's better to have 3; or at least 2. A 32/380 mouse gun; a 45acp semi-auto; and a 357 mag on a 3-4" barrel revolver; can do ANYTHING you can think of. Including some hunting. The 9mm, 40sw, 10mm, 357sig, 327mag, 45gap, etc... are just attempts to either find an all-in-one caliber (That doesn't exist); or a marketing scheme designed to try and find a narrow niche market. "Actually, that's exactly what the 40sw/10mm was designed for to find a bridge between the 9mm and the 45acp. Of the list, the 9mm I can respect. I don't like it, but because of it's history (1890's) and use at the time and as a semi-auto; it had it's place. Anyway; have 2 guns. Don't try to rationalize 1 caliber as being the best all around. It doesn't exist. Except for possibly the 12 gauge shotgun; but that's a different topic. For handguns; have a big and a small. You already have a 40sw; that will work.

mrt949
April 17, 2009, 03:47 PM
Mouse Guns Roar .:D You must have a gun.

Wildalaska
April 17, 2009, 04:03 PM
it had it's place

It still does.

Wildyourexpositionwasalmostcorrectexceptforyourcommentsaboutthe9mmAlaska ™

Heepstress
April 18, 2009, 12:09 PM
I love my mousegun...Keltec P-32. Had it for about 8 years now (thanks to my Sweetie!), fired countless rounds through it, and it's still one of my favorites. It doesn't even need the fluff and buff now! ;) It's also my carry gun of choice.

fast-eddie
April 18, 2009, 12:52 PM
Mouse guns, gotta have a piece when wearing that Banana Hammock at the beach.

Kildlawyrs
May 22, 2009, 12:55 AM
Some years ago, a couple of guys at the range were making fun of my little Beretta .25 "Jetfire". The Range Master came over, inspected my gun and said to them, "A .25 may not be a cannon, but I've never known anyone one yet who could outrun one".

End of the razzing.

They may be tiny, but you sure as hell don't want to get shot by one.

Chesster
May 22, 2009, 01:16 AM
Some years ago, a couple of guys at the range were making fun of my little Beretta .25 "Jetfire".

I have 4 of these I picked up at gunshows at bargain prices over the years. All have been super reliable. I have a .22 S Minx that is not as reliable but until recently, cheap to shoot.

imthegrumpyone
May 22, 2009, 02:11 AM
"The Mouse That Roared" ;)

Kildlawyrs
May 22, 2009, 02:32 AM
Its a funny thing. Of all the semi-automatics I have, the Jetfires (I have two) have been the most reliable. I own some great larger caliber autos and they are truly good weapons, and I also know that the .25 round is not such a hot round, but then again there is something to be said for a gun that goes "Bang" every time.

All in all though, if what you want is absolute reliability, I say go for a revolver; it is the original "point and click" device.

LanceOregon
May 22, 2009, 02:54 AM
"The Mouse That Roared"

Buy a Walther PPS in .40 S&W It is truly the mouse that roars.

It is roughly the same size of your PPK, but is actually lighter in weight and is also thinner too. So it is quite easy to conceal.

Yet, instead of a measly little .380 round, you have a powerful .40 S&W.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/40pps_email.jpg

michael t
May 22, 2009, 07:06 PM
You can keep you 40 I tried one and will never own another. Like evey one else here the 380 and other mouse rounds work fine . My 380 KelTec works f as does my Bersa, PPK/S ,Colt Mustangs, Heck I have carried my 100 yr old 32 S&W top break lemon squezzer Bet no one wants shot with it either.

40S&W and lite weight don't go hand in hand .

LanceOregon
May 24, 2009, 01:59 AM
You can keep you 40 I tried one and will never own another. Like evey one else here the 380 and other mouse rounds work fine . My 380 KelTec works f as does my Bersa, PPK/S ,Colt Mustangs, Heck I have carried my 100 yr old 32 S&W top break lemon squezzer Bet no one wants shot with it either.

Michael, my comments were meant for sundownrider, who stated here that he is also a big fan of the .40 S&W, like myself. Since he is already shooting this caliber in other handguns that he owns, I wanted to mention to him that the PPS is a lighter and more compact platform that can shoot the same round.

I find your comments here to be most strange for someone who has repeatedly stated on this forum that he primarily carries a .45 Auto, and only occasionally carries a .380

40S&W and lite weight don't go hand in hand

There are other factors that affect the handling of a gun, besides just weight. You are greatly overgeneralizing in your comment here, to lump all pistols chambered in .40 S&W together.

My .40 S&W Walther PPS weighs only 1/3 of an ounce less than the Glock 23 ( 20.8 oz vs 21.15 oz ), which is one of the most widely used handguns by law enforcement in the United States today. That difference in weight is totally negligible. The .40 S&W is by far the overwhelming choice of caliber by police agencies in our country.

imthegrumpyone
May 24, 2009, 08:42 AM
LanceOregon my "mouse guns" are compact .40s not really a mouse but not a full grown rats. :rolleyes:

ejfalvo
May 24, 2009, 01:54 PM
I own an variety of caliber pistols and revelvers. Go to the range 4-5 times a month, dry fire when I get off the sofa. I live in a state where I'll never receive a CCW (no one will). I work in another state where a CCW is the "holy grail". I ride the bus/train to work at early and late hours. Bus/train terminals are not the most hospitable locations. I wanted something I could slip into my suit pocket with no second thought.

While I would be most comfortable carrying a 40 or 45, the firearms were just too large (even my XD sub-compact) to drop in my suit. I became intertested in the "mouse guns" when Ruger announced their LCP. Purchased one, shot 150 rounds thru it. Load it with Magtech defense rounds, drop it in my pocket and go to work.

From my perspective, the LCP (and others like it) fits the need I had Admittedly, in a more gun-tolerant state I'd carry one of my larger calibers, but I don't and can't.

As a wise man once said, "a hit with a 380 (22) is better than a miss with a 45", or having no gun at all.

Chesster
May 24, 2009, 03:23 PM
I guess we all have our own definition of a mousegun, but to me, it is a small, pocketable, easy to conceal, sub .380 handgun. Usually for size, I think smaller than a PPK.

Tom2
May 24, 2009, 03:37 PM
They can be fun just to mess around with. Even if you don't consider carrying them, there are some classics and collectables amongst them and they are interesting to collect, and you can shoot them if you want, unlike genuine debilitated or overly valuable true antiques.

Lashlarue
May 24, 2009, 04:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/C5Sam/002-1.jpgEasy to carry in all conditions...

johnbt
May 24, 2009, 05:04 PM
"I guess we all have our own definition of a mousegun, but to me, it is a small, pocketable, easy to conceal, sub .380 handgun."

What? No room in your definition for a 9mm Rohrbaugh?
Small, check.
Pocketable, check.
Easy to conceal, check.

My P-32 hasn't been out of the safe since I bought an R9 over a year ago. An R9 with an empty mag weighs 14.3 oz., 12.8 without the mag.

And it's not as long, not as tall and not nearly as heavy as a PPK.

John

Kildlawyrs
May 25, 2009, 03:29 PM
Lashlarue:

Is that a NAA Magnum .22? I have a NAA .22 Long Rifle mini revolver. It is a nicely made pocket pistol, but on the whole it is really too small to handle effectively, so I would not rely on it as a self defense weapon (maybe as a backup to a backup?) I do, however, sometimes carry it with a snakeload when out hiking. Fortunately, I've never had to shoot any rattlesnakes with it yet. Hope I never will...

Kildlawyrs
May 25, 2009, 07:40 PM
Slow is smoothe...
and smoothe is fast!