PDA

View Full Version : Is a Colt 6920 worth...

Servo77
April 16, 2009, 06:50 PM
the $350 more I would have to pay to get one over the Smith & Wesson M&P 15?

RT
April 16, 2009, 08:31 PM
I guess it depends on what you are planning to use the gun for. Do you need/ want 4150 barrel steel, MPI and HPT barrels, 1/7 twist, H buffer, FA BCG and a Pony on the lower?

Chui
April 16, 2009, 08:33 PM
Yes. I think so.

Icopy1
April 17, 2009, 06:52 AM
Below is a link to a comprehensive comparison chart of the popular M4 type rifles. You can see for yourself how the 6920 compares to SW.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

B. Lahey
April 17, 2009, 06:58 AM
Yep, but if you talk to Wildalaska you can get one for less than most dealers are selling S&Ws for.:)

Servo77
April 17, 2009, 12:20 PM
I got in touch with WilAlaska via email and he has a couple. I am jsut trying to figure out if I want the Colt, save the money and get a s&w, or buy a sig 556....

decisions, decisions....

precision_shooter
April 17, 2009, 01:21 PM
It's not worth it to me, but to each his own. I prefer a Rock River over all others. But that is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

Dobe
April 17, 2009, 01:58 PM
It was worth it to me. I also have 3 Bushmasters.

ClarkEMyers
April 17, 2009, 05:21 PM
It is to me and I bought from Ken WildAlaska - for many such a decision is likely as much emotional as logical so go with your own feelings. To repeat it was for me.

thinkingman
April 17, 2009, 06:55 PM
You can always sell a Colt for more than it's worth...Maybe not for SW.

If you just want to shoot, buy SW and spend the diff on ammo, optics....

If you want to impress people, get the Colt.

If you really want to impress, get RRA or WhiteOak Armament....they'll know you didn't just follow the crowd.

mrray13
April 17, 2009, 06:59 PM
the only thing the sig has going for it is the piston. i handled one thinking i might trade my armalite in on it. it's not a bad rifle by any means, but other then the piston, all you are getting is the name, IMHO.

everything else has already been said.

45_Shooter
April 17, 2009, 07:03 PM
I picked up a new 6920 about a year ago for $1350, and if the price were any higher I probably wouldn't have bought it. I still feel the same way even with all the AR madness going on, I currently have a brand new S&W M&P15OR on layaway for $900, and right now it looks like most of the Colts are almost double that.

Is a Colt worth more than a S&W? Yes, almost definitely. How much more is your call; for only $350 difference I might be tempted to go Colt, but the S&W's are easily my second choice.

Lloyd Smale
April 18, 2009, 06:51 AM
buying a colt is like buying a harley was 5 years ago. They cost a bit more but they hold there value better then anything and they are made with top shelf parts. In my opinion there worth 350 more then a smith but not double.

Johnny Guest
April 18, 2009, 10:13 PM
I'd pay the extra for the Colt.

chadwick76
April 19, 2009, 08:51 AM
i have an older a-1 that was my first ar, and it's great! however, since the first one i have never purchased/built another colt. they are too pricy for what they are, and quality control has diminished a bit in the last 5 years. go rock river, s&w, or even stag arms.

RT
April 19, 2009, 09:14 AM
Chadwick
I am interested in reading any references/ evidence that Colt's CQ has fallen recently.

Barber2678
April 19, 2009, 11:20 AM
Get the Colt! In two years you will wish you had bought two more of them and that $350 extra will be long forgotten.

45_Shooter
April 19, 2009, 10:33 PM
since the first one i have never purchased/built another colt. they are too pricy for what they are, and quality control has diminished a bit in the last 5 years.

You do realize that the 6920 is designed and specifically manufactured for and marketed to law enforcement by a separate entity (Colt Defense) from standard civilian models (Colt Mfg.) right? Their QC for these models has never been in question that I know of, as these lines are also the same as run for government contracts and when producing weapons for those contracts they are continually audited by government inspectors.

Colt also individually proof tests the most components of any AR manufacturer to my knowledge, as well as using what is recognized as the most highly regarded components and manufacturing methods available (i.e. M16 bolt carrier, 4150 barrel steel, parkerizing under the FSB, properly staking the gas key, etc.)