PDA

View Full Version : Sight Paint

chicagojoe
April 13, 2009, 05:33 PM
I don't know if this has been discussed, but i went to the range with my new Ruger LCP and trying to find the front sight was really tough, is there any recommendations or advice on painting the front sight with a paint that will make the sight easier to see. Which paint is good, i know there are a few on-line companies that sell their line, any advice? By the way i shot pretty good with the LCP, i didn't like the long trigger pull, but a nice 380 to shoot, alot of fun. Thanks.:rolleyes:

Chris_B
April 13, 2009, 05:52 PM
I use the Birchwood-Casey touch-up sight pens that come in a two pack. One is bright while, the other fluorescent green

Paint front and rear sights white, let it dry, paint the rear one again with the green.

orchidhunter
April 13, 2009, 06:01 PM
Testors #1367, it's a model paint, orange in color. Make sure that the sight is oil free, before painting. orchidhunter

chris in va
April 13, 2009, 11:53 PM
Ironically I've found that fluorescent spraypaint used for marking...stuff...has worked better than the Testors or dedicated sight paint.

It's extremely vibrant and isn't rubbery like the other stuff, so doesn't seem to be peeling off. I just sprayed some in a cup, then used a toothpick to fill the dot.

rosierugber
April 14, 2009, 06:27 AM
Bright white nail polish. You can find this product in your wife's drawer.

drail
April 14, 2009, 06:33 AM
Testor's model paint. Yellow shows up the best in low light and doesn't glare in direct sunlight like flourescent colors can. I use a toothpick to apply a small dot on the front blade.

blume357
April 14, 2009, 06:38 AM
good stuff.

The Great Mahoo
April 14, 2009, 08:03 AM
I use the Birchwood-Casey touch-up sight pens that come in a two pack. One is bright while, the other fluorescent green

Paint front and rear sights white, let it dry, paint the rear one again with the green.
I use the same stuff, though application varies a bit.

Kreyzhorse
April 14, 2009, 10:51 AM

Great stuff if you can find it. I used the white/orange combo on my LCP and it really helps pick up the front sight.

MK11
April 14, 2009, 10:55 AM
I'll nominate the white nail polish too. I just bought a set of BrightSights dedicated sight paints and I'm extremely underwhelmed. White is the only color you can even begin to pick up quickly, the reds, greens, oranges and yellows aren't too impressive.

M1911
April 14, 2009, 11:32 AM
Go to a model shop or artist supply store and buy a small bottle of paint in the color of your choice.

midiwall
April 14, 2009, 11:57 AM
Another vote for white nail polish, with an add-on of a couple of coats of clear over it.

Use a degreaser on the sight first otherwise the polish will run. Apply with a toothpick so that it'll flow where it wants to and you wont get brush lines.

Prop up the gun on the barrel, let it dry good (about 30min) then hit it with some clear. Dry, repeat the clear, dry, shoot!

recoilguy
April 14, 2009, 01:26 PM
Great ideas I can find white nail polish at home I am sure.

RCG

Chesster
April 14, 2009, 07:56 PM
I use "Tequila Sunrise" color nail polish.

chicagojoe
April 14, 2009, 08:45 PM
Thank's to all, my wife did have white nail polish and it looks good, the front sight is much easier to acquire!!:rolleyes:

WESHOOT2
April 15, 2009, 08:25 AM
Brightsights bottles suck.

Testors offers a 6-pack of fluorescent colors, and they hold up well.

(To properly mix the paint, drop three BBs into the bottle before agitating.)

BUT, there is this thing called "NITESITERS", and they are SO worth testing....(or you won't know what you're missing...).

Pahoo
April 15, 2009, 10:46 AM
Wal-Mart and others, sells an appliance touch up paint that is used to touch up scratches on refrigerators and such. It is very tough an reasonably priced. Come with its own applicator brush. If you are going to apply any fluorescent colors, it will show brighter over a base coat of the white.

Be Safe !!!