PDA

View Full Version : Chinese and USA magazines in Mak 90 legality

jpazz
April 12, 2009, 07:31 PM
Hello,

I'm new here, so please pardon my innocence. I have recently purchased a MAK 90. There are discussions of AK style weapons all over the internet, but the ones on this site seem to be the best informed. My MAK 90 is as originally imported, i.e., with all Chinese parts. I find the laws regarding these rifles to be confusing. I'd like to purchase two additional ten round magazines for this rifle.
Would using USA made magazines in this unmodified MAK be legal?
A different , but related question is, can anyone recommend a source or sources for Chinese made magazines for this rifle?

Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

John

rdebert
April 12, 2009, 09:15 PM
Mine came with a 5 round and a 30 round magazine in the box. The Mak-90 was configured so that they could get around the laws at the time (MAK = modified AK). As imported in original un-modified condition including the thumbhole stock .. 30 round magazines are legal. As I understand it. The only so called "evil feature" the Mak-90 has when in original configuration is the removable magazine and therefore the law and requirements are met. If the original cofiguration has been changed .. such as installing a pistol grip stock .. then compliance issues come into play/are necessary.