PDA

View Full Version : LockTite on muzzlebrake? Should I ??

kymasabe
April 12, 2009, 06:02 PM
I have a screw on flashhider that I'd like to mount on my rifle and was wondering if I should put anything on the threads before I screw it on and tighten it down. Was thinking the blue (medium strength) LockTite might be the right stuff but thought I'd better ask what, if anything, is generally used.

750pilot
April 12, 2009, 06:54 PM
i actually leave mine just a little loose.

the birdcage style flash hider on a hk91/ptr91 has a small metal spring that, unless removed, creates enough resistance to keep the flash hider from rotating even if it is not tightened down.

i read about this when i was having accuracy problems. a forum member asked me how tight the flash hider was, and it was incredibly tight. i loosened it up and problem solved!

long story short, if your flash hider has a spring on it like mine, keep it just barely loose or barely snug. it shouldn't need loctite.

if it doesn't have a spring or a jam nut, i wouldn't imagine that loctite would hurt anything. the blue stuff is a little stronger than they advertise it to be though.

WC145
April 12, 2009, 07:01 PM
I put a Levang Linear Compensator on my PLR-16. It has held quite well, not loosening up through a couple of hundred rounds. I had some concerns as I've read about brakes coming loose but so far I'm happy.

lipadj46
April 12, 2009, 07:33 PM
locktite releases with heat.

44 AMP
April 13, 2009, 02:51 AM
Made by Loctite, special for guns. Holds securely, can be unscrewed with tools (no heat needed).

Been using it for years. A little tube lasts a long time. You used to be able to get it at WalMart.....

lipadj46
April 13, 2009, 01:15 PM
Guntite like locktite degrades with heat so using it on any part of a barrel does not makes too much sense. It is great on other parts that don't get hot though. I would think there are some other ways to keep on a muzzle device that won't stay tight, a crush washer comes to mind as a possible way.