PDA

View Full Version : I am going to purchase my first hand gun.

SM1
April 9, 2009, 11:11 PM
At first I was sold on the Ruger P95. I liked the way it looked and I liked the price. The reviews for this weapon was good but the availability is terrible.
I looked around and found other options that I liked but the price was too much for a hobby that I might get bored with within a year.
I have found the Hi Point C-9. The price is great and I think I have found a dealer. I don't want a weapon for protection. I just want a new hobby.
My question is ? Should I buy the C-9 new, or buy something else used ? I know the resale value of either will be nothing, but with something used I could be getting someone elses headache with a new C-9 I could voice my opion on a new product.
I am leaning towards the new C-9, but I'm not sure. Can anyone give any good advice ?

Chesster
April 9, 2009, 11:19 PM
Welcome to the forum. I would run from the Hi Point. Me, I'd look for a good used Ruger, Smith, Springfield, Glock, CZ etc.... depending on amount you want to spend.

Other option, go to a rental range and try diff. guns. If you get bored there, maybe guns are not your hobby.

Coins anyone????

Rinspeed
April 9, 2009, 11:29 PM
The Ruger is a good solid choice although a tad blocky. Stay away from the Hi-Point is good advice. If you can still find a Sig P6 floating around they are another top notch pistol. They were going for $300-350 used.

Chesster
April 9, 2009, 11:32 PM
jeffg is right about the surplused Sig P6. It only hold 8 but is a super bargain for the price

pilpens
April 9, 2009, 11:35 PM
Never owned a high point pistol but have shot one. It was not fun.
Do not get a Jennings pistol. Had a .22 that broke after 30+ rounds.

Look at:
1. used 3rd Generation S&W (59xx).
2. surplus CZ 82
3. surplus Sig p6
4. S&W 99 SA/DA

check out CDNN, aim surplus, centerfiresystems.com sites

I have a P6 - accurate, good size for range and carry.
I have a Walther P99 - almost the same as S&W 99, good ergonomics, accurate.

cguedr
April 9, 2009, 11:38 PM
I'm newer to shooting as well, and although I really got into it, I know that you may not. With that said, if you really have no idea whether or not you'll like it, and really don't want to spend much, a Hi Point would be the way to go in that price range. I'd stay away from Cobra, Jiminez, and the like. My friend's had a Hi Point for about 2 years now and hasn't had any problems what-so-ever. Again, if that's the price range you're comfortable spending in, go with the Hi Point because it is a much better quality pistol than others priced comparably.

I will add, however, that shooting was much more pleasurable when I was able to try out some higher quality pistols.

Rinspeed
April 9, 2009, 11:44 PM
The are several P6s on gunbroker, here is one of them.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126533228

Rinspeed
April 9, 2009, 11:52 PM
Here's another for $350, I think you would be hard pressed to find a better pistol for this kind of money.

http://www.gundealeronline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SIGP225USED

Chesster
April 9, 2009, 11:56 PM
Here's another for $350

STOP, STOP, STOP.....I already have two. I will not buy another of these super bargain pistols.

chadwick76
April 9, 2009, 11:59 PM
honestly, i have the availabilty to shoot over 30 different kinds of pistols. I will have to say, with what you are looking for you have to go GLOCK!! I have shot over 7 different versions of the gun and they all shoot very nicely, and you can find one in the $400's range. also, you will be buying a better quality gun. good luck!

NWCP
April 10, 2009, 12:25 AM
If this is a 'hobby' that you may become bored with in a year, or so why look for a centerfire pistol? Why not pick up a reasonably priced .22LR semi-auto? The ammunition is much cheaper to purchase and currently much easier to locate than 9mm. It would be easier on the pocketbook and easier to learn with IMHO. Both of those factors might keep you more interested in the shooting sports longer than a year. You can always move up to a 9mm, 40 S&W, or 45ACP as you become more proficient and your interest in shooting grows. Go with something having a 5.5" barrel, or longer and plan on spending $300-$350. A Browning Buckmark Camper would be a good place to start your new 'hobby'. It will run you a little less than the other Browning models and yet give you great accuracy and reliability for your money. I own many pistols in a variety of calibers and after all these years I still take one of several .22LR pistols, or revolvers to the range. I never get tired of plinking with the little rimfires.

Distortion
April 10, 2009, 12:38 AM
Check out the best nines (http://www.best9mm.com/) site.

pilpens
April 10, 2009, 03:41 AM
yes, why not a .22 - Browning Buckmark. Cheap to feed.

Hellbilly5000
April 10, 2009, 09:19 AM
I am going to tell you the same thing i tell everyone. Go to a range rent and and shoot a wide variety of weapons of different calibers. Find one you shoot accurately that fits your hand and and you can control when you pull the trigger. then go buy that one. If you cant find it new then buy used. Shoot what your comfortable shooting. There is no sense in buying a weapon you dont like to shoot or that you cant shoot accurately (thats why i had to sell a H&K that I had, the wife couldent use it)

SW40F
April 10, 2009, 09:40 AM
...the price was too much for a hobby that I might get bored with within a year. First, let me way Welcome!

Do try to find a range near you (if possible) that rents guns, and spend your first shooting $$ trying out different guns that you can just hand back to the counter person when you are done. If you really like the gun, ask them how much to buy it, or a new gun of the same model!

Then, if you have not yet taken a class, do take one (or more) NRA classes, particularly if you can also rent a gun for the class. You will get instruction, hear different opinions and may get some good advice.

...Should I buy the C-9 new, or buy something else used ? ...with something used I could be getting someone else's headache

The gun has to fit YOUR hand, work well for YOU and be something YOU are proud to own.

Buying used can be risky, but if you buy from someone who will back up the purchase with a satisfaction guarantee or warranty, even if it is for only 30 days, you will have a chance to discover flaws and let the seller make it right. Discuss this with the seller before you buy.

Good luck, and good hunting.

DanThaMan
April 10, 2009, 01:20 PM
Understand that you can find good and bad reviews for every gun every made. You really have to develop your own opinion and analyze the pros and cons of each gun you consider. Personally, I dislike the ruger p95. It's a bit on the heavy side when compared to the beautifully designed Ruger SR9 or a Glock. Something that I can't get past is that the slide rails of the P95 are polymer! Glock and the SR9 both have steel rails for the slide which proved much longer lasting security and stability for the slide. Both the SR9 and the Glock can shoot 3 inch groups (@ 25 yards) after thousands of rounds (I can only personally couch for the glock 17, however reliable sources have told me the SR9 can match the glock). Both the Glock and SR9 are amazingly reliable, both are priced nicely, etc...

I would STRONGLY recommend a Glock 17, 19, or a Ruger SR9.

recoilguy
April 10, 2009, 01:59 PM
If you want an affordable fun to shoot gun DanthaMan is right. SR-9 or Glock. I own an SR-9 have had it for a few weeks now. I really enjoy shooting it.

375 bucks of fun.

RCG

SM1
April 11, 2009, 08:09 PM
I made this post on 09/APR/09. I asked a question and many people answered. I would like to say, Thanks to each and everyone of you for your advice. I would like to give a special thanks to user "NWCP". NWCP's advice made me look at lower caliber pistols in the .22 range. Today (11/APR/09) I bought a Smith and Wesson 22A-1 at Gander Mountain for $249.99.
I thought the weapon would cost more and I also thought there was a waiting period (KY). There was a waiting period that lasted all of the time that it took me and my son to find the air soft stuff he wanted.
I didn't buy ammo, and I have not fired it yet. I am looking into firing ranges and looking at advice for ammo for this weapon. All of your opions are welcome.
Thanks for your time, SM1

B.N.Real
April 11, 2009, 08:17 PM
Wait,get a great quality handgun.

Just visit your local stores that sell used guns and new guns (gun stores,pawn shops and major sporting goods stores).

Keep your money ready and buy when you see a great quality handgun.

If you really must have a handgun now,a Hi Point will do the job.

But of you want a gun you want to shoot a long time and run alot of rounds through,get something else.

Have patience,you and handguns will be around a long time.

spyderdude
April 11, 2009, 09:01 PM
If a Hi-Point is all your budget will allow, by all means go for it. It beats being unarmed. My first handgun ever was the Hi-Point .40 cal pistol, and it never once malfunctioned during the 200 rounds I put through it. I then sold it and bought the C9 that you're asking about. It also never malfunctioned, and was surprisingly accurate. That is when I discovered the 9mm was one of my favorite pistol rounds. Other people will tell you to get a better quality gun, but I understand for some people that is just not possible. If you can manage to save, a S&W Sigma can be had for 300 dollars or less. If you save 100-150 dollars more that will put you into a Ruger P series or used Glock.

NWCP
April 12, 2009, 01:17 AM
Try CCI Standard Velocity .22LR for your new pistol. Remember to clean it and lube it properly before taking it to the range. A good friend of mine has the same pistol and hers likes the CCI Std Velocity ammo. Enjoy your new firearm. It's something you can teach your boy to shoot when he's old enough if he has the interest.

Shane Tuttle
April 12, 2009, 01:26 AM
I'd try a sampling of everything to be honest. Most .22s are a bit picky on what will run reliably.

It was a wise choice to start with a .22. There's nothing wrong with starting out with one. You can concentrate on the fundamentals of shooting without breaking the bank and recoil won't cause you to form bad habits.