PDA

View Full Version : Baby Eagle .40S&W or Berreta 96 Inox .40S&W?!?!?! WHAT SHOULD I DO??? PICS WITHIN!

Gunny
April 7, 2009, 09:41 PM
Hello All!!!

I want to get all of your personal opinions on both of these guns. If you've only shot one or both, I would LOVE to hear your preference and opinions! :)

I am looking at getting a .40 or for any of you that have read my posts... I NEED a .40! I like the Baby Eagle and would love to have one before Magnum Research quits importing them. However I have always had my eye on a Berreta 96 Inox since DAY ONE!

I may eventually end up having both... But I want to know what you guys and gals think before I make my first decision on one. I am looking forward to picking your MINDS!

Thanks in advance!

I have included a picture of both just for reference! Also I would like to have the Baby Eagle in a steel frame... so any opinions versus the steel and polymer frame of the eagle are MOST definitely welcome! :D

Baby Eagle .40, Steel Frame
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3203/2996332959_8a1394a566.jpg?v=0

Baby Eagle .40, Polymer
http://www.holsters.org/de_polymer.jpg

Berreta 96 Inox
http://www.gunshopfinder.com/beretta/96_Inox.jpg

daferg2
April 7, 2009, 10:12 PM
I have a polymer Baby Eagle just like the one pictured and my brother has the all metal one. Both are great and I'm not sure which one I'd pick over the other, BUT that INOX Beretta makes me drool. I'm adding that to my "must buy" list.

hardluk1
April 8, 2009, 09:21 AM
Witness or cz, eagle don't make there baby version

Delaware_Dan
April 8, 2009, 11:07 AM
The Beretta 96 is one of the softest shooting .40s I have ever handled. No hiccups whatsoever.

akr
April 8, 2009, 11:13 AM
I have a Beretta FS 96 Inox .40 S&W, and it is a very fine shooting gun, besides being nice looking. I have never shot a Baby Eagle, but I understand they are very fine guns as well.

akr
April 8, 2009, 11:16 AM
Witness or cz, eagle don't make there baby version

Huh? Say what? :confused:

jeeper01
April 8, 2009, 01:32 PM
Huh? Say what?

i believe what he means is that magnum research does not make the baby eagle. it is an Israeli made Jericho marketed in America under MR's name.

that might make parts/repairs harder to come by but i cant say for sure, interested to hear what current owners have to say about that

Andrewh
April 8, 2009, 10:25 PM
you picked clones of two guns I own.
I have the springfield p9 and the taurus pt100.
Both in 40. I actually prefer the p9 over the taurus. I picked those guns over the ones you have, due to the slide mounted safety. I actually ran back and forth at the gun show trying to decide between those guns when I bought them a while back.

If those are the ones you are going to pick from, then I would get the eagle. But that is mainly because I like the grip more. I would also get it in steel, not polymer, but I am an anti tupperware person.

You should be aware that the baby eagle will be the hardest to find holsters for, but mags should be pretty easy to get. Parts are the same as the witness line of guns, so you should be able to get replacement parts if whoever is importing it has issues.

_W_
April 9, 2009, 12:50 AM
From what I understand, Magnum Research doesn't make any of their "Eagle" guns. Desert Eagles are made by IWI. Baby Eagles are made with Tanfoglio parts that are assembled by IWI. And their Micro Eagles are made by ZVI.

The Baby Eagle is also known as the IWI Jericho 941 and are awesome guns nonetheless. However I don't think MR has the rights to them anymore. I believe Charles Daly imports them now and they actually go by the Jericho name.

ChicagoTex
April 9, 2009, 02:11 AM
The Beretta gets my vote, hands down.

That said I personally prefer my Berettas in 9mm - it just seems "right" somehow.

Father Time
April 9, 2009, 08:01 AM
Andrewh It my understanding that the springfield P9 is actualy a clone of the Awsome CZ-75 and the baby eagle/Jericho are also clones of the CZ-75. Also, the taurus is a clone of the beretta not the other way around;)

Don P
April 9, 2009, 10:37 AM
I would say out of the pistols YOU listed I would go with the Beretta.:eek:

JoeWV
April 9, 2009, 10:41 AM
I shot both of these pistols on the same day when i was looking, i ended up with the Baby Eagle, just felt better to me. It's been agreat gun.

Leejack
April 9, 2009, 10:54 AM
Both great guns, but the Beretta is just too sexy to pass up!;)

Wheel-Gunner
April 9, 2009, 10:58 AM
This one is too easy, get the Beretta!

dleewo
April 9, 2009, 11:32 AM
I have the Uzi Eagle compact polymer (picture below) and one thing I don't like about it is that it's hard to find stuff for it. For example, holster options are very limited. I'm also having a hard time finding spare magazines.

I've even contemplated selling it and getting something more "common"

http://www.derekleewo.com/images/uzieagle.jpg

Andrewh
April 9, 2009, 12:07 PM
Father Time- while that is mostly true, the CZ is slightly different.
The p9, witness and baby eagle are mostly interchangable.
I have a witness in 9mm and put the p9 slide on it so I can shoot it in 40.
Both fit the same holsters. However the cz uses a different holster but same design.

The 9mm taurus is a clone of the beretta. However taurus came out with the 40 version first. :D

Plus I hate the slide mounted safety/decocker.

The squared off trigger guard makes it very hard to find holsters for the baby eagle.

But no matter which gun you pick, pick the crossbreed supertuck for your holster.

Ben
April 9, 2009, 01:08 PM
I know it's just my opinion, but the two aren't even in the same LEAGUE. No doubt the Beretta trumps Magnum Research in ANY category. Have you actually compared to two side-by-side? Have you thought about support AFTER the purchase? Beretta is one of the OLDEST family-owned companies still in existence who has contracted to military and police agencies across the globe; and the other is famous for making gold-plated novelty .50 caliber guns.

No question.
Ben

NJgunowner
April 9, 2009, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't say the berretta trumps it in anything... except aftermarket support.

Magnum Research didn't make or design anything on the baby eagle. WHO CARES what Magnum Research is known for? The "baby eagle" is made by IWI, that's why it has a big IWI (older ones have IMI) stamped on the grip. Parts are made by Tangfoglio, assembled and tested in Israel, then sent here.

Magnum Research is just an importer, end of story. Basing buying a gun on who imports it is really just sad. It's a very well made firearm, shoots great, very reliable, and looks good doing it. It's ONLY flaw is it's nearly impossible to find aftermarket accessories or parts.

Eventually I plan to add a .22 revolver or a 9mm "something or other" and my BE .40 will be dedicated home defense gun.

Long story short, both of the choices from the original poster are good guns. I like the feel and build of the BE better, but the aftermarket is 10x better on the Berretta. So if you plan to modify it, or like accessories get the berretta.

Dragon55
April 9, 2009, 02:16 PM
on shear looks alone

Ben
April 9, 2009, 02:20 PM
:rolleyes:
FWIW, I didn't say after-market parts support which the Beretta clearly has. I said support after the purchase (from the company backing the gun). With the MagnumDesertBabyMountainEagle who are you dealing with? IWI, IMI, ZVI, Tangfoglio, Magnum Research? Who do you ship it to if it needs repair?

Ben