PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Games

georgiaboy47
April 5, 2009, 07:12 PM
I was just curious what kind of shooting games ya'll do? They probably all help with shooting, but I'm just curious what people do to break up the monotony of just shooting.

Crankylove
April 7, 2009, 11:01 PM
the monotony of just shooting

There is no such thing.

I can shoot all day long at nothing in particular.......pick a rock, a dirt mound, etc. I take cans and clay targets with me to plink at, and also shoot at bowling balls, watermelons, water jugs, empty shotgun shells, and the unlucky non-game animal that crosses my path. I don't really "need" to make a game out of it to keep from getting bored, I enjoy the time I spend shooting, whether I shoot 500 rounds, or 50. If I start getting bored, or am just not into that day, I go home, and head back out another day.

georgiaboy47
April 8, 2009, 04:16 PM
Well shooting at paper targets all the time does get repetitive, and shooting other types of targets or doing fun drills takes away from that. Yes, it does help out in getting groups tighter, and many other things, but there are "games" or drills that take away just throwing lead on paper shot after shot, and get the shooter engaged more actively in the range time. While it's not boring necessarily, it does take away from valuable range time. I guess what I mean from shooting games, is something that challenges the shooter and maybe a partner against each other or something. Make it competitive in some way, but not a competition game. I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's what i mean.

Hellbilly5000
April 8, 2009, 07:04 PM
My father my wife and myself have one where we set a soda can down range and take turns all useing the same weapon 1 shot at a time to see who hits it first

Enoy21
April 10, 2009, 01:20 PM
I haven't done any with my Glock since I don't really have a suitable non residential area to do so ( Even though I have a neighbors land permission , I don't want to disturb other neighbors ).

But I know with the pellet gun as a kid , and when training my daughter with a pellet gun the 16oz-2liter bottle shaken up nice and tight waa always fun to watch the explosion on contact.

I would imagine now , anything that goes "BOOM" on impact would be fun for me.

grymster2007
April 10, 2009, 04:14 PM
We used to line up with pellet guns, everyone would pitch in a buck and we'd shoot at an empty soda can, stuck on a branch not too far downrange. You miss, you're out. Last one to hit gets the pot. I lost a lot of money doing this. :)

lmccrock
April 11, 2009, 05:06 PM
It depends on what kind of range is available. Frangible (e.g., clays) and reactive (plates or cans) targets are fun, but not all ranges allow them. When I shot at an indoor range, I put up 4 small paper targets on the backer (paper plates are ok), and went around in a circle as fast as possible. That range allowed "timed rapid fire" which was exceptional; generally, novice shooters trying to go fast shoot the lights out (literally) so most ranges forbid it.

Lee

rjrivero
April 11, 2009, 05:54 PM
Reactive targets are the most fun. A box of crackers from the dollar store give my daughter some good plinking time, and the birds and other critters get to clean up the mess when we leave the Gun Club. No need to pick up can pieces and other target trash when we're done.

freakintoguns
April 11, 2009, 07:45 PM
we usually end shooting sessions with .22 rifle shoots, set up abunch of clays in different place for about half amile down river ( we shoot by a little stream) and then walk down shooting the targets, everyone puts 10-20 bux in the pot and whoever gets the most targets wins the pot. also do it with handguns. also toss old skoal cans in the air and try to hit em with handguns and shotguns ( were a good 45-50 miles away from civilazation) even tried it using a Ar a couple times!

ar15chase
April 11, 2009, 08:05 PM
Me and my shooting buddy like to set up our spent casings and see who can hit one 1st with our 9mm's. It is a challenge even from several feet. By the way we arent setting them on the ground we elevate them on a wooden plank. No worry about ricochet.

MarCon9
April 11, 2009, 09:37 PM
I like to make targets of bad guy #1 Then practice with all types of weapons moving from tree to bush and shooting on the run or Quick shot. Rocks knives pistols or shotguns . kind of realistic. It's amazing how many times we can miss. Practice is the key marcon9

jdscholer
April 11, 2009, 10:29 PM
I like to stretch out the distance. I've got a 14" gong that we shoot at out to about 100 yds; sometimes further. After doing this for awhile, 25 yards is no longer the slightest problem for any handgun that I own, including my Jennings J-22. (POS by most standards).

The gong gives a very satisfying CLANGGGG when you hit it, and you don't have to walk back and forth to check your results.

It may not be very scientific, but you can pretty much compare how hard various cartridges and loads hit by the way the gong reacts. (I wouldn't want to get hit by any of them.)

So far I'm best with my Colt Woodsman, often shooting 80% at 100 yards.

On our Memorial Day Weekend camp out we have an elimination shoot-off. There is anywhere from 25 to 50 shooters at the start. Shooters step up to the line and get two shots (if needed) to ring the gong. Everyone who is successful gets another crack ten yards further back. Those who miss are out. We keep going, ten yards each time, and folks start dropping pretty fast about 50 or 60 yards out. (we're all amateurs with varying skill and equipment. All handguns, no scopes allowed). The contest is usually won at 100-120 yards, depending on the wind and such.

When it comes to informal and fun competition, this is the best we've come up with yet.:) jd

kirkcdl
April 12, 2009, 09:06 AM
Potatoes or apples at ~25ft,2 shooters,we alternate shots until it's gone.What makes it interesting is when one hits the target,it moves or explodes and gets smaller,meaning the other shooter must adjust POA,really helps with practicing follow-up shots...We do this on a fairly steep hillside,so gravity is also a motion factor...

Chuck Dye
April 12, 2009, 10:05 AM
"Golf."

Where it can be done, mark two parallel lines and move golf balls from the near to the far line. Scoring can be by time or round count. All the usual safety and clean-up considerations apply.

Cut small logs into chunks with length roughly equal to diameter, make them more visible with water soluble poster paint or flour slurry, scatter them around a small valley. When you walk the rim and slopes of the valley you get shots of random range and elevation, great practice for hunting. When your cleanup efforts miss some targets, the targets will eventually rot away.

jdscholer
April 12, 2009, 10:19 AM
All the usual safety and clean-up considerations apply.

Yeah Guys, lets not forget that where ever we shoot, the mess we leave brands us as a bunch of --- choose expletive.

In my area, which is pretty wide open, I have seen formerly good shooting spots closed off to everyone because of bullet riddled appliances, broken bottles, cans, and empty shells and boxes. Some of our fellow "gun enthusiasts" are pigs, and need to be policed or picked up after. :mad: jd

freakintoguns
April 12, 2009, 04:56 PM
agreeed JD we usually take a box of contractor bags with us and clean up. we also scavenge old brass and shotshells to someday use to reload. when we have aenough ammo we attempt to reduce the old applinces to piles of rubble thats easier to truck out. BTW maytag firdges dont stand up well to full auto AKs. :D

Superhouse 15
April 12, 2009, 05:22 PM
We have loaded up a 30 round magazine in .30 carbine and tried to see who could move a bowling pin the farthest with it. In honor of Easter, try the Easter Egg Hunt, sniper style with partially hidden eggs at unknown distances, good for shooter and even a spotter. Try poker hands by stapling a deck of cards up and shooting for a best hand. Range dictated by the type of gun. If you get inventive, you can make a target that falls when hit in the vitals, but not with peripheral hits. I made one with those little inflated bags that come in packages to cushion them. Each was about the size of the A zone of a target. You can also put them in the head, chest, or pelvis of the target to encourage alternative shot placement. When I posted for reactive target ideas, I got tons of cool responses. Try covering your cardboard target with an old T shirt, you won't be able to easily see the bullet holes to adjust your fire. hang a golf ball by a rubber band or a long string. The wind will make for a challenging target. I saw on one of the gun shows on TV a target on a little remote controlled car kind of thing. Shouldn't be too hard to reproduce at home with a little help from Wal Mart or Radio Shack. Saw one where two baloons were tied on a little car. Sniper was told what color baloon to shoot, moving car and wind made for a challenge, and sometimes the baloons crossed, instant no shoot. I'd like to try it with .22s and open sights. Try buying the paper Tyvek coveralls at the paint store. You can fill them up with baloons and hang them in the wind. Seeing which baloon pops leaves no doubt if you had a good hit and it's a 3D target. A little work on them internets will get you pictures of guns, cameras, Ipods, cans of Coke, cell phones, lighters, badges, etc. you can also make copies of your hands open and closed as fists. Cut out these pictures and paste them on paper targets for instant no shoots. (Disclaimer) Never make these copies at work when no one is around and you are bored and want to abuse the work copier. A trip to the dollar store can get you toy guns, cameras, and etc for the same purpose. You could ignore the warning and try all those trick shots on that "Impossible Shots" show...

seanie
April 12, 2009, 11:52 PM
My buddies and I are big fans of going shot for shot on adjacent lanes. It's almost like playing a game of horse. Or we just use police silhouettes and tally up our scores. If we're at a plinking pit, it becomes a game of "I bet I can hit that (blank)." It keeps everything competitive, and keeps us from burning through ammo too quick.

hogdogs
April 13, 2009, 11:26 AM
I likes me a good game of "gun golf"... the trick is to "accidentally" hit yer buddy's ball when he ain't lookin... when he gets up off the gound and quits talkin' with a high pitch... he won't be shootin so good tryin' to keep an eye on you while aiming at the golf ball...
when he gets up off the gound and quits talkin' with a high pitch... he won't be shootin so good tryin' to keep an eye on you while aiming at the golf ball...
Okay that part was just wrong.... I really meant to hit his golf ball and make sure it is a "hook or slice" shot...
Brent

JAYBIRD78
April 19, 2009, 05:41 AM
The "golf" game is used with .22s like mentioned above.

The cheap soda cans with a rifle are fun also. I also have used half gallon milk/juice containers filled with water for rifle shots out at 200 yards and beyond.

I just wish more people would clean up their messes. :(

Dingoboyx
April 19, 2009, 05:55 AM
We have 'soda can races'.... similar to gun golf. W use the 50 meter range, put a can for each person at about 5 meters, the first can to the 50 m line wins.... if you get your can there first with less than your 6 or 10 shots (revolver or SA) you can use your last rounds to upset anyone elses strategy :D like trying to knock their can off course. (have to be careful you dont help them get over the line by accident):eek::D

lottem
April 19, 2009, 09:17 AM
Midway sells a target they call a Bird Board. It is basically a target backer board and plastic hooks to hang clay pigeons on. We like to see how many times we can shoot holes in the center of the clay pigeons without breaking the pigeon. Once the pigeon breakes we like to shoot at the fragments that still hang on the board.

2003flht
April 24, 2009, 08:42 AM
i like the golf ball game. but we will also set up several golf balls 150 yards out on a wooden saw horse. with my savage 10fp-le1 .308 we try to hit the golf ball right near the bottom and see how high we can pop so suckers up! its amazing how high they will fly.

I also bring down 11x17 sheets of paper with Billiard balls printed on them. #1 through 9. And play a little 9 ball at 30 feet.

Balloons on strings are fun too.... especially when its windy out.

Kermit
April 27, 2009, 12:11 PM
We use to buy old bowling pins -- hang them w/ twine or rope on a tree branch or stand & try & keep it swinging.

SigSauerIsBetter
April 27, 2009, 12:31 PM
GeorgiaBoy,

Here is a site with about 20 or so different drills:
http://www.kuci.org/~dany/firearms/all_drills.html#drills

This is a PDF that I found a couple of months ago, has 40+ drills:
http://www.firearmz.net/HandgunDrills.pdf

If you have a RangeLog (http://www.RangeLog.com) membership, we already have the drills from both resources the site so that when we roll-out our "friends" feature. It would allow you to open the "BILL DRILL" and see other members scores and your friends scores (anyone who selects "publish my scorecard to public". Should be available in the next 30 days.

Happy Shooting!

Manage Firearms Usage Online @ www.rangelog.com (http://www.rangelog.com)

Willie Lowman
April 27, 2009, 07:07 PM
I bought a PACT timer and my friends and I play a game I call the shotgun relay.

Shooting stations are set up with 4 pop cans set about 10 yards from where the shooter will stand. At each shooting station there is a box with 4 birdshot shells in it.

At the buzzer the shooter loads the gun, shoots the 4 cans, runs to the next shooting staion (usually 20 yards away), loads the gun, shoots the 4 cans, etc.

I use 3x3 landscaping posts to elevate some of the cans.

5 second penalty for missing a can.

SigSauerIsBetter
April 30, 2009, 05:10 PM
Anyone have good carbine drills?

Willie Lowman
May 1, 2009, 11:28 AM
and when training my daughter with a pellet gun the 16oz-2liter bottle shaken up nice and tight waa always fun to watch the explosion on contact.

I have become a mild legend at the local wal-mart check-lanes.

Once a month, in the summer, I go through with 6-10 24packs of Sam's Choice Cola and one 20 ounce of Mtn. Dew. They used to ask me why I had one Dew and all that cola. I told them I didn't drink the cola...

Now when I do that, someone always asks "Are you the guy that shoots this stuff" Guilty as charged.

YARDDOG(1)
May 3, 2009, 05:37 PM
There is no games in shooting gun... :mad: / Now thats of my chest there is compatition, Matches & other fun safe things to shoot But to call em Games No No STAY ARMED & SAFE Y/D :D

fatboy02
May 4, 2009, 06:00 PM
Winter months we like to use frozen blocks of Ice as reactive targets add some food coloring for the long distance stuff and icecubes are great for the .22 rifles at a distance. Pistols are fun with frozen blocks too.

We also made a J channel run for clay pigons a spring loaded pin hooked to a string will release one at a time and roll down the j channel to shoot a moveing target.

Hellbilly5000
May 4, 2009, 06:54 PM
Also for those of you that play golf. Grab a driver (or any other club besides a putter) and start hitting golf balls. Have a buddy about 7 to 10 feet to your left or right and a few feet in front of you (which ever side you tend to hit to) and let him shoot them out of the sky

Glenn E. Meyer
May 6, 2009, 10:53 AM
Please specify where and with what firearm you use to do this.

Without a shotgun's limited range with small shot - this could be extremely dangerous as you are shooting at an upward angle and rifle and pistol round go a long way.

grymster2007
May 6, 2009, 12:15 PM
Also for those of you that play golf. Should we let faster players play through?

SemperFly
May 6, 2009, 05:54 PM
We take a chunk of cardboard and two decks of cards. Line the cards up in rows and then take turns at shots to see who gets the best poker hand. Throwing an ante into the pot is recommended and winner takes the pot.

davlandrum
May 7, 2009, 11:23 AM
Helium balloons are fun. I got to do this last weekend. They bob and weave in the slightest breeze, making it a real challenge with your carry pistol.

firsttimefirearms123
May 8, 2009, 03:51 AM
Here is an online drill search - by handgun or rifle:

http://www.rangelog.com/Resources/SearchforDrills/tabid/485/Default.aspx

Does anyone know of any good drills to help prepare for competing in an IPSC tournament?

m&p45acp10+1
May 10, 2009, 07:08 PM
My brother and I take 2 decks of cards, a stapler and cardboard. shuffle one deck a few times to mix the cards up, then in rows of 4 across space and glue or staple to the cardboard. It works better if participants are not the ones putting them on the board. set up the board at a distance. We do 50 or 100 yards with 22lr rifles. take the other deck and shuffle it. The shooter then draws a card. they are then timed and have to shoot the matching card on the board. Set a time limit that is challenging. If you do not make the time or miss your round is over. First one to hit 5 wins the round.
This is great to help in selctive targeting under the pressure of time. it is challenging and fun, and can be played safely at a range. Last time we played quite a few others at the range joined in the game and it was quite a good time.

the rifleer
May 12, 2009, 09:33 PM
I like shooting military rifles at long range.

I went skeet shooting with some friends an absolutely loved it. I likes it so much i went out and bought myself a shotgun to shoot clays with. Im not interested so much in competition, but simply shooting clays.

Its gotten to the point where i am trying to replicate things that tom knapp does, such as put a shell in your mouth (gun completely unloaded) throw the clay by hand, load the gun and shoot the bird. you gotta be pretty fast to do that.

then there is throw 3 clays by hand and shoot them. (3 is my current limit, tom knapp can do 9, with a benelli of course)

One thing a friend an i did was with an airgun One of us would turn around and promiss not to peek and the other would go hide a soda can in the bushes and then you had to find it an shoot it as quickly as possible. that's fun, but you spend more time hiding the can than you do shooting.

then there is the, put two soda can, one on top of the other at 50 yards and hit the top one without hitting the bottom one with a shotgun. if you aim about a foot above it you can pull it off.

Jo6pak
August 8, 2010, 03:02 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to add a few of the range games we do. Freindly competition, more for fun, but also for bragging rights

7-up
Tactical carbine or combat pistol.
Timed, Quick action drill.

Set-up
1= Take 7 boxes and mark them consecutively (1,2,3...etc) large enough to easily read from 40-66 metres. (black duct tape work great)
2= Affix a 9" balloon to the top of each box. (Balloon size can be modified to suit your personal preferences)
3= Arrange boxes between 40-60 yards (for carbines) or 15-30 yards for pistol. (You can alter the distance as you see fit.) This is meant to be a quick action game as opposed to a precision shooting drill.
4= Have the shooter turn around and mix up the boxes, Both range and order can be changed, but try to keep the ranges similar for each shooter.

Shooter up
1= The shooter starts on firing line with weapon unloaded and back turned to targets.
2= On "GO" the shooter must turnaround, insert magazine and shoot the targets in numerical order.
3= Shooting targets out of order is an automatic disqualification.

Fastest time wins

We often limit the number of rounds in a mag to 10. This helps level the field for our friends that shoot SKS, M1, 1911s, etc. It also essentially gives a time penalty for missing more than 3 times (since a reload is required.)

Ill gladly post a few more games if you guys wish.

Sgt.Saputo
August 10, 2010, 07:43 PM
I got a fun one for ya just takes a few cheap things. You need cannon fuse which is cheap and can be bought at any fireworks store (make sure to get the thick kind), firecrackers or those fireworks flares, and some plywood. Now setup a large piece of plywood downrange (distance varies with skill and firearms), take some heavy duty clear tape (the kind used for sealing boxes when you ship them) and tape the fuse and your choice of firework on the board(paper wrapped pyrodex works a bit like a flare and there's no explosion to worry about). Make sure that you put a foot a foot or so off of the board so a runner will have time to light it and get back behind the shooter (At this time rifles should be on SAFE and out of the hands of shooter because we don't want someone getting shot). On the board paint (or use a marker) a clearly visible red line, the shooter cannot load or fire his weapon until the fuse burns down to this mark. At this point the shooter loads his weapon and attempts to sever the fuse before it sets off your firework. When you miss you are out, continue until one person is left. It's always fun for everyone to throw a dollar in the pot and give the money to the winner. :D

**PLEASE**
always remember to keep your weapon unloaded until your runner gets behind you. I will not be responsible if someone is hurt due to their own stupidity.

Have fun, but BE SAFE!

Sgt.Saputo
August 26, 2010, 02:55 PM
Ok so here is another one not quite as crazy as the last. Most of you don't know but I am a huge zombie fan, I love all things zombies.
You will require at least 1 friend for this. You will also need a nice big piece of wooded property with no other houses around.

You can order zombie targets online for next to nothing, or you can find zombie pictures and print them to make your own. Have your friend place targets on the sides of the trail while you stay back in the house so the locations will be unknown to you. Grab a shotgun and sidearm and head off into the woods following the trail and trying to eliminate all the targets. For added fun use water bottles filled with jelly or fake blood and tape them to the back of the target where the head is to simulate brains (the kids love this :D). It's always a blast to have the friend follow behind you with a stopwatch and see how quick you can be. You can then get fresh targets and do the same only with your friend shooting and you with the stopwatch. Have fun and be safe!

oneounceload
August 26, 2010, 03:12 PM
Try something a little humbling like sporting clays or FITASC.....:cool:

Sgt.Saputo
August 26, 2010, 04:22 PM
^ but that's much to simple......

g.willikers
August 26, 2010, 05:34 PM
And the winner is......................
Sgt, Saputo.
Zombies, shotguns and red goo.
What a great idea.
Halloween isn't too far off, either.
Might be just the thing for a fun match at the local club, too.

Sgt.Saputo
August 26, 2010, 06:48 PM
I can't take all the credit :). I have been watching hickok45 on YT for awhile now and got the idea from one of his videos, I just added what I thought would make it more fun and what I thought was lacking.

Here is a link, enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzQku-3IZLM

He's actually a real cool guy with some awesome videos.

g.willikers
August 27, 2010, 10:57 AM
Hickok's tactics could sure stand some improvement.
Maybe he needs to review those zombie documentaries more.
Forgetting to reload after each engagement, running out of ammo altogether, not using the trees for cover, making enough noise to, er, raise the dead.
If they were traveling in their usual packs, he'd be meat.
Come midnight, the score might have been Hickok - 0, Zombies - 1.

Wouldn't it be neat if the zombie targets could be attached to a bungee or something so they could come charging out of the woods?
Or on a rope and come zipping down out of the trees via gravity.
Or as a swinging target with their intended victim out in front.
And the blood and gore, fur sure.
You've opened a Pandora's box of ideas.

Sgt.Saputo
August 27, 2010, 12:03 PM
Actually I was working on some ideas for attaching targets to pulleys to simulate charging last night! I haven't really come up with any solid ways of working them, but I think a bit more and give them a try. I'll be sure to post the results :).

woodguru
September 16, 2010, 07:52 PM
My friend and I will set up cans such as 10 on each side and see who can clear theirs first, the range gets kicked further and further as we go.

I set him up big time after selling him a Ruger 10/22 target with the hammer forged barrel and a Pentax scope. I had had that rifle for ten years or more but when I got my Rem 597 I didn't need it anymore, I think the 597 is a way better rifle in many respects. I asked him if he thought he could shoot more than me of 100 cans in a "shoot as fast as you can go" type match. He got two clips from me and hadn't picked up anymore.

Meanwhile I had accrued almost 20 magazines and had tuned up most and those that weren't dead reliable were good with five or six bullets but not all the way full. Larry is a competitive little bugger and wanted to go a buck a can on the offset. I was having a tough time as he dug himself deeper and deeper with terms. I asked him if he wanted a reload clause and he said heck no, you load at your own speed.

I had 12 magazines ready to roll with CCI Geen Label target loads. We decided on about 80 yards and put a little dirt in each can so there would be no low shooting that topples three or four cans a shot if done right (I had already pulled that one on him before.

We start and I'm paying attention to his mag change speed, it's horrible because of the typically fussy Ruger magazine removal and insertion. Meanwhile the 597 mag drops out and free with the lightest touch, and a new one clicks home in a split second. As he's reloading his first mag after burning 20 rounds he watches me drop a mag and put my fourth one in, he's still loading as I put my fifth one in at which point I'm approaching the middle point of the line. He yells out "hey, how many friggin clips do you have?" I was laughing hard enough that it was making me miss more shots as I told him he was the one that didn't want a reloading clause. I added that he better hurry up or he was going to owe me thirty or forty bucks.

He wanted a rematch that stopped at 20 rounds for a reload, 80 yards was just enough that the difference in ammo was decisive, I had target loads that cost eight or nine bucks or so for 100 and he was using bulk whatever.

We have done the same with bolt actions, I have a CZ HM2 varmint with a 6-18x Buckmasters side focus that is sweet for cans at out to 100 yards. A .22 just won't keep up with a hit ratio at longer .22 ranges like that.

I like competitive practice like that.

woodguru
September 16, 2010, 07:55 PM
With .17HMR's we use .45 brass (unloaded) lined up at 100 yards, the .17 drills the most perfect little holes in them.

cdutton
September 16, 2010, 11:33 PM
Got a couple.

My family and I went to Lake Shasta in Cali and rented a houseboat. Naturally, all our firearms went with us. At this time, they were letting out 18" of water every few days for irrigation, so underwater trees now became above-water targets. We took turns plinking at the tree limbs (Wood chunks wood fly as a reactive target), kindof like the game H-O-R-S-E. Loser had dishes for the night.

Another one. For trap-ish, at home on property, we would trade off with two shooters simultaneously, and a puller/thrower. Each shooter stood with weapon empty, action closed (pumps allowed only, no semi's), hammer back (so you gotta use the action lock release), with a live round in the support hand. Upon acknowledgement of being ready from both shooters, the thrower would let fly one clay at the moment of their choosing. Once the birdie was released, both shooters had to load, acquire, and fire. First to hit the target won. Draws were settled with the throwing of two targets, each shooter taking the target closest to their position.

Just a bit of fun ;)

roy reali
September 17, 2010, 06:03 AM
I like to shoot at dirt clods on the side of hills at ridiculously long distances espically with rimfires. I like to have to use mortar type aiming angels and have a countable wait time for impact. Before anyone wonders about the dangers of such shooting, where I live you can touch off an atom bomb and not hurt anyone.

shredder4286
September 24, 2010, 10:55 PM
my wife and i made up a game:D we take a paper plate, and draw a bullseye about 1" in diameter, then draw a 4" circle around the bullseye. hits outside of the circle score 0 points. on the line, or inside the circle- but still outside the bullseye are worth 1 point. bullseye shots are worth 2 points. each person has a 3 round mag. she beats me about 80% of the time, but it sure is a lot of fun. :cool:

aarondhgraham
September 25, 2010, 04:59 PM
This one works well (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=466432),,,
http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/466432.jpg

Tremendous amount of fun with a couple of .22 handguns,,,
They also make them for centerfire handguns.

Any of the spinner targets is more fun than paper,,,

William Lee
October 25, 2010, 07:20 PM
Three guys, two with shotguns, one chucking clays. Shooter 1 gets a change to break the first clay. If he breaks it, he gets a point. If he misses, shooter 2 can shoot to steal the point. If Shooter 1 breaks his clay, Shooter 2 still gets a chance to shoot at the fragments, if any, in order to negate the point. Then you trade off. It's a race to 5, and the loser takes an extra shot of tequila after the guns are back in their cases.

hboy828
November 1, 2010, 07:12 AM
you know the little clay dropper hat hold like 5?
load them up with 3 clays and have 2 or 3 people have their own
first one to shoot all 3 wins

JC5503
November 4, 2010, 01:08 PM
My buddies and I like taking boot laces or any old nylon like rope and hanging them from the barbed wire fence out where we shoot. After we get them all tied up (one for each of us), we light the end that is dangling with a lighter or whatever and step back 10 or 15yds, let them burn a little and then take your .22 or whatever and try to shoot the flame out first. Whoever puts their string out first wins. When Im by myself I like to set a cinder block out around 100yds and shoot at it with my .22 it makes a cool little puff of dust and thud.

An03ForLife
November 25, 2010, 08:26 PM
Pivot drills and speed reloading competitions ftw. Popular at work. Get the guys together and turn it into a competition. Good fun. Came second place in a speed reloading competition platoon wide at work. Fuzzy-warm feelings ensued.

Urrh

TXAZ
November 25, 2010, 08:32 PM
Another vote for Range Poker. Easy to set up, and you can wager lunch / dinner / beer (AFTER) etc on the best hand.

Achilles11B
November 29, 2010, 02:18 PM
For a new take on carbine training, especially with the AR, look no further than here...

http://www.youtube.com/user/VikingTactics

I cannot think of better CQB drills, although my times are nor remotely close to the times demonstrated on the videos. Practice, practice, practice...

younggunfreak
December 12, 2010, 07:57 PM
Hi volume squirrel hunting

Krav Maga
January 9, 2011, 01:12 PM
You know those paintball courses with all the balloons? We use similar things,just with wood and boulders.We (me and friends) go through run and gun exercises,and practice house clearing.And skeet shooting.

Boomer8404
January 12, 2011, 12:50 AM
The place where I go shooting, there is a lot of bottle, cans, small boxes and what not to shoot at.

Basically Shooting Horse w/ pistols. Two or more players. First shooter pics a target to shoot at and everybody shoots at it. Whoever hits gets a point, whoever doesnt hit gets no point. If all hit all get a point, no hits no points. If the shooter who picks the target and hits it in the round, that shooter can re-shoot the same or pick another for the next round. If the shooter who pics the target for the round misses the target and all others miss, the shooter can re-shoot at the same or pick another. If the beginning shooter picks a target for a round and misses and the next shooter in line hits hits, regardless if the shooters after he/she hits. That shooter gets to pick the next target. The games ends at whatever predetermined amount of points the shooters agree on.

Sorry if my explanation is hard to understand, I do apologize. But, the game is really fun. Also, it is a shooting game that can take some skill to master and helps to build skill too. It is a game that makes you slow down and take you time while shooting your pistol. Where I shoot, distances range from 10 to 75 yards. It really makes you take in and use/exercise the fundamentals of shooting a pistol.

cnimrod
January 12, 2011, 09:06 PM
bunch of rusty old canned goods. aim for the edge see how high you can get em to jump. even with a .22 it's a hoot

jcvibby
January 22, 2011, 05:37 PM
I like playing card games. It takes a little time to set up but it is tons of fun. Fun to put some money on it too. What I do is staple 52 cards to a small sheet of plywood. Then play take your turn to make the best five card hand. Maybe 150-200 yards and it should be a good chalange.

highvel
January 22, 2011, 09:41 PM
I like to hang golf balls with 1/8" cable about 3' long and smack em with .22's at 100 yds. or so. They are difficult to hit while they are swinging from the last shot!
Though he doesn't know it my son donates his paint balls to me and I line em up on a log or any place they wont roll and wear em out with my Browning Silhouette .22:D

BIG P
January 22, 2011, 11:36 PM
We play a long range game 1000 - 1500yrds. We have several gongs on a sand dune 1man goes to the 1500 bench the other man goes around half way bench the stations are staggered the man at 1500 is the lead shooter the other plays back up. When lead shooter pics a gong and fires the other mans job is to shoot the same gong or complete the hit the long range man had missed,on a miss shooters rotate the lead.Our gongs are the size of sewer caps.Sounds easy but it great pratice & alot of fun:D

mr renwick
January 27, 2011, 11:03 PM
We like to bet a Mcdonalds ice cream on who can hit a penny at 100yds with a 22.