PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Saiga 7.62x39?

blackdog_507
April 1, 2009, 06:55 PM
I'm really wanting to buy a semi-auto rifle. I've posted a couple other threads about AR's vs Ruger Mini's. As I've stated in some of my previous posts, I don't need this rifle for anything, except for long range defense if all society goes to hell in a hand basket. I just want to have a semi-auto rifle for fun, for very occasional plinking. I just don't know if I can justify spending over $500 on a mini (that would be used with no bells or whistles) or a grand on an AR. Is the Saiga junk or can it be used for my OCCAISIONAL plinking purposes? Is it accurate? Also does it take 30 rounders? Is it easy to mount a scope? Any info on these things would be appreciated!! Thanks alot!

kymasabe
April 1, 2009, 08:33 PM
First of all, I'm a big Saiga fan, do own and have owned quite a few, I think they're one of the best bargains out right now. They used to be a great deal but recent events have driven up the cost.
OK, to answer some of your questions:
Junk? No.
Occasional plinking? If you want to but I know members over at the Saiga forum who have thousands and thousands of rounds thru their Saiga's without any worries of wearing it out. I just sold my '99 converted Saiga that was well worn for $650.
Accurate? A new Saiga comes with a certificate that states it's accruacy as tested at the factory. Most of mine claim around 3" group at 100 yards. Some buyers are better, some worse. Keep in mind it is an AK style rifle/receiver/bolt, not inherently the most accurate platform to build on.
It was never designed to be a tack driver, was meant to hit a man-sized target out to 300 yards. If you keep the limitations of the gun in mind and your expectations realistic, you won't be disappointed.
30-round mags? Yup, buy the SureFire mags and you'll be fine. Stay away from the ProMags as many are reporting problems with them.
Or...you could go to www.DinzagArms.com and buy a bullet guide, file down the mag catch slightly and use any old standard AK mag that you want, 5-round thru 40-round and 75-round drums.
Easy to mount a scope? Super easy. It has the rail on the left side of the receiver to mount a russian scope mount to. Kalinka Optics has lots of options and mount/scope combo's, there are piles of combos on eBay and there is one seller on eBay that ships from Russia that sells a GREAT low-mount russian mount that really hugs the top of the receiver, is called the BP-02, though, if you look at the mount will look like it says bn-02.
DPH Arms sells a nice aluminum Beryl rail that mounts differently but is easy to install and you can mount optics to as well. They're also developing a low-mount rear sight for their rail too if you're into irons instead of optics.

Go to the Dinzag sight, there is tons of information about the gun, lots of parts, lots of conversion parts too, and conversion tutorials.
The gun is decent in it's stock condition. Most find the trigger is too gritty, the stock is too hollow and the gun feels unbalanced in factory condition. Most of us convert our Saiga's back to a more traditional look, in our garages, in about three hours, with basic hand tools. Is actually very simple.

Good luck.

Technosavant
April 1, 2009, 08:56 PM
The Saiga is a slightly modified AK action (sporter stock and trigger moved rearward a couple inches). I've never read one single bad word about them- buy with confidence.

aeonrevolution
April 2, 2009, 01:29 AM
Yeah buy with confidence.

My buddy recently got one and it hasn't misfired or jammed once yet.

I remember when we took out his new Saiga and my new Golani/Galil copy and my Golani ****ing jammed every third round :mad:

MAX100
April 2, 2009, 01:58 AM
Saiga is well made but why buy an AK style rifle that needs to be converted to the way you want it when you can get a good standard AK47 that is ready to rock and roll.

GC

nero
April 2, 2009, 05:20 AM
I have a 16.3" one in .223 that I put a Mojo MicroClick rear sight on, and I'm very happy with it.

nero

bobn
April 2, 2009, 06:29 AM
i had one and i could not get used to the wierd stock to reciever configuration. or the weight bias. however they function perfectly and are definately more accuarate then other rifles at that price point. i sold off the 1200 rounds of ammo and the gun just last week. for a change i didnt get hosed on the deal with all the ammo shortages, lol. bobn

blackdog_507
April 2, 2009, 07:56 AM
Saiga is well made but why buy an AK style rifle that needs to be converted to the way you want it when you can get a good standard AK47 that is ready to rock and roll.

What do you mean "needs to be converted"????

KLRANGL
April 2, 2009, 08:45 AM

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm

Because you end up spending less money for a superior product.

Magnum Wheel Man
April 2, 2009, 09:11 AM
"plinking" is a pretty generic term... my buddy has one, & while he does like the rifle, he is very disapointed with the accuracy... 3" at a 100 yards is maybe a good average...

what we notice with these types of rifles, is, if you adjust the sights to hit spot on with a cold barrel, & you shoot 2-3 shots at paper, you accuracy is likely about MOA... but as the barrel heats up, the group begins to "string" it's the nature of the design... folks that get really angry about lack accuracy, are often sighting after the barrel is hot, then come back the next day, with the barrel cold, & find the sights way off, or sight in with the barrel cold, then empty a 20-30 round magazine, only to discover thier shots are 4"-5" off point of aim after the barrel heated up...

the design, is not going to be as accurate as an AR platform, but if 4" groups are good enough for you, they are very rugged, they are also a very good value, & interestingly are also available as .410, 20ga, & 12 ga shotguns as well

chris in va
April 2, 2009, 10:51 AM
My 2yo Saiga has been flawless. I converted it last year and it has become one of my favorite rifles.

Keep in mind however that 7.62x39 might become a rarity depending on the political climate and importation rulings. Currently the American offerings run about $16/20, while Wolf (at least at my local shop) is $8/20.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4610/imgp1936.jpg (http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp1936.jpg)

blackdog_507
April 2, 2009, 11:50 AM

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm

Quote:

Because you end up spending less money for a superior product.

So if I were to pony up a little and buy an AK would I be getting similar results as far as accuracy, dependability, etc? I know they're the same platform, but I guess what I'm asking is if the Saiga is as well made as an AK, or is an AK is as well made as a Saiga?

Delaware_Dan
April 2, 2009, 12:35 PM
Another big fan here, I bought mine about 5 years ago for $209. Ah the good ole' days. I would reccomend them highly.

Technosavant
April 2, 2009, 12:59 PM
I guess what I'm asking is if the Saiga is as well made as an AK, or is an AK is as well made as a Saiga?

The Saigas are made in the Izhmash factory in Russia. They make the real AKs for Russia and others, they just export them to the US under the Saiga name in a sporter configuration. You could say that the other AKs on the market aspire to that level of quality.

In other words, the Saigas are as high quality as you're going to find. The sporter config is a result of our import laws, but conversions aren't all that difficult if you have the desire. I've seen 7.62x39 Saigas for less than $400, even in this climate. The Romanian AKs aren't even going that low at the moment, and the Saiga is far better- you'd need to drop $800 or more on a Arsenal or similar AK in order to get the same quality.

seanie
April 2, 2009, 02:10 PM
I have a 16" .223 and have never once had a problem with it. I've heard some people complain about trigger slap, but it's never been a problem for me. The only thing I've ever done to modify mine was add a scope mount. I've never shot the 7.62, but I love my .223.

blackdog_507
April 2, 2009, 08:08 PM
.... I think I'm just about convinced that I'm going to be buying a Saiga. I have no need for anything more expensive. To be honest, I may shoot this thing 6 or 8 times a year. I just can't justify dropping lots of coin on a gun, and it sounds like the Saiga is a good gun for a good price. I'm actually pretty excited about this thing. What will it cost me to "convert it" shoud I feel the need? I know nothing about gunsmithing, so lets assume I have to pay someone to do it? And what about the Tapco pistol grip systems that just bolt right on??

chris in va
April 2, 2009, 09:11 PM
My conversion was very basic. Bullet guide, trigger group, grip, buttstock. All told it ran about $150 in parts, mostly from Dinzag and K-var.

You won't need any 'gunsmithing' skills, just use a Dremel, some punches and a vise. Follow directions, easy. Took me about half a day.

All you're really doing is extracting the Saiga trigger linkage and installing a much better G2 Tapco group from Dinzag. His bullet guide is great, and the kit includes the tap and drill bit. You can play around with the other parts, just be SURE they are made in USA, otherwise you'll run into 922 compliance issues. Don't get the stuff that says 'Bulgarian' or 'Made in Israel'.

RedneckFur
April 2, 2009, 09:25 PM
I did a Saiga conversion last year, and I'm very pleased with the results. I can hold a 3.5 inch group at 100 yards with my cheap red dot sight. It fires any ammo I run through it.

And if you build one from a sporter, you get to learn all the in's and out's of the AK platform in the process. It is a beautifully simple rifle, and very easy to work on.

mcraig8377
April 2, 2009, 09:27 PM
GREAT GUN WISH I HAD NEVER SOLD MINE! alot better than alot of the other 762 junk i have seen!

alberich
April 3, 2009, 01:06 AM
Buy CZ 858 instead. Beats Saigas in every aspect.

seanie
April 3, 2009, 02:13 AM
In what way are they supposed to be better? I'm not trying to start any arguments or anything, I've just never heard of them. After googling I couldn't find a whole lot of info about them.

alberich
April 3, 2009, 02:26 PM
CZ 858 is in principle a Sa vz. 58 assault rifle with blocked FA ability. The overal finish of the weapon is better, system is better, and the consistency is better.:)

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=96

Crosshair
April 3, 2009, 06:30 PM
The Siagas are good rifles. I have one in 7.62x39, one in .308, and one in .223. I bought the adapter that was being sold here a few months ago that will convert the .223 to take AR mags and installed it. Works 100% Still finishing up putting on the new stock so no photo.

Here is my converted 7.62x39. I actually prefer the 20 round mags and not the 30 that is in it. I consider it a designated marksman type setup. 300 yard chest targets are boring with this gun. (300 yards is the second chevron on the POSP.) I need to try it at longer ranges.

http://gra.midco.net/5937/GunPhotos/BAW_Saiga_Small.jpg

I also love the POSP scopes. The Galil handguard is great too.

blackdog_507
April 3, 2009, 11:19 PM
Ok, so I like the converted Saiga's, but what about the Tapco pistol grip stocks that just bolt right on? what's the difference between that and actually converting the rifle???