PDA

View Full Version : Colt 45 AP 1911-Govt model

LindaR
March 31, 2009, 10:32 AM
Opinions needed: Wanted 1911 gold cup, too expensive and can't find anyway or a Kimber 1911, hard to find and expensive. Guns in California are in limited supply as is ammo (unless at a gun show). I found the above named gun, new at known dealer. What's the opinion? :rolleyes: Thanks Beretta Lady Linda R

hdawson228
March 31, 2009, 11:11 AM
You might want to compare to the Springfield Armory 1911.:cool:

parrothead2581
March 31, 2009, 12:40 PM
Typically, excellent quality, fit and finish and customer service. Resale is typically high.

Which model was it exactly? Colt makes several Government models. http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/pistols.asp

CDH
March 31, 2009, 04:37 PM
The main thing the Gold Cup gives you is an adjustable rear sight which may not be that important to you.

I've got the O1091 (Government in stainless) and it's fine piece. Price is right (got it from Bud's) and the fit and finish is great.

powerboatr
March 31, 2009, 05:04 PM
when we went looking for a great colt, without breaking the bank i found a never fired 1967 WWII com. model
it has a very light trigger, smooth action, is a bit sensitive to ammo being just right.
but operates smoother than most kimbers i have tried and is buitl very tight tolerance wise
we run between 100-200 rounds through her everyweek
i did put pac grips on it so i wouldnt destroy the nice wooden grips
this puppy sat in a store since 1967 on display, its brother is still there....waiting for me to bring the family back together.

hunter11
March 31, 2009, 05:14 PM
Grab it fast as you can before it gets away. Dan

Auto426
March 31, 2009, 05:22 PM
My guess is that she is talking about a new Series 80 Government Model, since she is in California and any handgun that is not drop safe is not approved for sale.

The basic 1991 was Colts version of a low budget 1911. As the number suggests, it came out in 1991 and was Colt's attempt to break into the low buck 1911 market. At first they were all parkerized and came with plastic triggers and mainspring housings. Over the years Colt has upgraded them a few times. They now feature aluminum triggers, have either a polished blue or stainless finish, and come with higher profile 3 dot sights.

Colt's and their 1991's are pretty highly regarded in the 1911 world. They feature better quality internal parts and barrels than most other manufacturers in their price bracket. They also hold their value really well. You pay a little more for the pony, but he does his job and keeps the value high. The newer guns also have reputation for being very reliable. The only real complaints it seems people have now-a-days are cosmetic issues, since Colt does a lot of the work on their guns by hand rather than with CNC mills.

If the price is right (between $750-$850) I say go for it. I plan on purchasing a Stainless 1991 in the near future, I'm just working on saving up the money right now.

KyJim
March 31, 2009, 09:56 PM
I cannot recommend Kimbers. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346055

The Colt Government model is a fine gun and you can upgrade it as time and money permits. However, you might want to try to find a Springfield Loaded Model or one of Smith and Wesson's 1911s. I do not know if either is approved for California.