PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun scope for Marlin 30-30 rifle??? Parallax.

cje1980
March 30, 2009, 07:07 PM
I've been shopping for scopes for my recently acquired Marlin 336 in 30-30. I came across what looks to be a really good deal at Natchez. A Weaver classic 4x32 shotgun scope for $80. Most Weaver Classic scopes tend to be upwards of $150. I decided to pull the trigger(pardon the pun) on this scope. I was looking for something compact and light, with not too much magnification. It seemed to fit the bill.

My question is, does this type of scope suit this rifle? I'm mainly concerned with the parallax setting, which I'm sure must be 50 or 75 yards compared to the 100 yard setting of a conventional rifle scope. Would this cause any problems at the maximum ranges of the 30-30? I've heard varying opinions about parallax. It doesn't seem like I would have a problem given the lower power of the scope and that I wouldn't be shooting past 200 yards with this rifle. What do you think?

Below is a link of the scope I purchased. Is this a good scope? Good deal?

Thanks.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SN849421&prodTitle=Weaver%20Riflescopes%20Classic%20Shot%20Gun%20Scope%204X32%20Rifle%20Scope%20Black%20Matte%20Dual%20X%20Reticle

sholling
March 30, 2009, 07:22 PM
I own two of those. Really good scopes for a 22 because of both the quality of the scope and the fact that they are set to be parallax free at 50yds. But it wouldn't be my first choice for a 30-30 unless all of your shooting will be inside of 75yds. I'd be tempted to go with a Weaver V3 (http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=SN849400&prodTitle=Weaver%20Hunting%20Riflescopes%20Classic%20V3%20Series%201%203X20%20Dual%20X%20Reticle%20Matte) instead. 1x will be ideal for close-in in thick brush and 3x will take you out well past the 200yds that I'd be willing to take a shot with a 30-30.

Trajectory:
Cartridge Type.............Bullet....... 100yds 150yds 200yds 250yds 300yds 400yds 500yds
Remington® Express®...150gr SP...+1.6"... zero ...-4.3"...-12.1"...-24"... -64.2"... -133"

cje1980
March 30, 2009, 07:32 PM
Why would you not recommend it for a 30-30?

sholling
March 30, 2009, 07:46 PM
I've updated my post with ballistic information for the 30-30. You'll likely be taking shots out to 150-200yds. To be completely honest I haven't taken a shot much past 60yds with that scope so I really can't say if it's worth worrying its usefulness at 150yds or not. Maybe it'll do what you need just fine. I just think the V3 would be a better choice for that rifle. But that's your call.

One other thing to be aware of. The Weaver shotgun scope has a ton of eye relief. You may need to mount it up to 1/2" further forward than the V3 - make sure you have room.

cje1980
March 30, 2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks scholling. The eye relief was stated as 3.5". I was actually thinking of using the XS scope mount system that allows the scope to be mounted further forward and putting a ghost ring where the rear scope mount holes are.

What is the reticle like on that scope? Is this a legit high quality Weaver scope?

kymasabe
March 30, 2009, 07:54 PM
I'm curious to see what everyone recommends because I just bought a '78 Glenfield .30-30 with a WesternField 4-12x40 AO scope on it.
Talk about overkill !!! I've got the scope cranked down to 4x and it's plenty.
Too bad it's so darn huge.

Huntergirl
March 30, 2009, 08:08 PM
I used a Bushnell Trophy shotgun scope to take a bison at 82 yds, clean one shot kill, with my Marlin 45-70. Real question is what is your intended shot range for your 30-30? If it is within 100yds, I think you'll do fine. Beyond that, parrallax will figure in. I just got a Weaver 1.5x4.5 scope for my Marlin 35Rem, and will sight it in when the snow stops blowing. Some of those older low power Weaver rifle scopes will do better. They last forever. I also have a Burris Short mag scope as a back up.

cje1980
March 30, 2009, 08:29 PM
Does anybody know how much parallax error is possible at 200 yards with a scope set up for 50 yards? Is this the only issue with using a shotgun scope on a 30-30?

L_Killkenny
March 30, 2009, 08:35 PM
First, don't take for granted that your new "shotgun" scope will be set parallax free for 50 or 75 yards. Many slug gun hunters today are using sabot slugs that are good for 200 yard range and 100 yard zeros and many of the shotgun scopes are following suite and setting their parallax at 100 yards.

Also, truth be known, parallax is rarely a problem in a hunting gun. Many high power scopes are set at 100 yards and hunters don't seem to have any problems dropping critters at 300. Parallax mess ups of 1" left/right/up/down aren't gonna hurt ya one bit. Heck for years if you wanted a scope with any quality for a rimfire you went with a high power scope. Again, never seemed to hurt.

Put it on and go shooting.

BTW, 2-7 and 1.5-4 are better lever gun scopes. 4x sucks in tight timber on a moving target.

cje1980
March 30, 2009, 08:51 PM
L Kilkenny, it would seem that parallax shouldn't be a problem within the effective range of the 30-30. I've also read that parallax is more of a problem on high magnification scopes and shooting past 500 yards. I've read conflicting reports about parallax. Some say its really no big deal while others say its significant. The main reason I got this scope because it seemed like a rare opportunity to get a high quality scope for dirt-cheap. I can't really get any specs on what the parallax setting is since the model is discontinued by Weaver. Schollen has the scope and says the parallax is at 50 yards, so I'll take his word for it. I figure most of my shoots will be inside 150 yards with a rare 200 yard shot thrown in.

Can anybody comment on the Weaver Classic line of scopes? Are they high quality scopes?

sholling
March 30, 2009, 09:49 PM
Does anybody know how much parallax error is possible at 200 yards with a scope set up for 50 yards?
No but it shouldn't be much. Parallax is a bigger issue up close than way out there. If I think about it I'll drag one outside tomorrow and see how the focus looks at 200yds. It's actually a darn good little scope and I recommend them to people all the time.

Parallax explained (http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html)

First, don't take for granted that your new "shotgun" scope will be set parallax free for 50 or 75 yards. Many slug gun hunters today are using sabot slugs that are good for 200 yard range and 100 yard zeros and many of the shotgun scopes are following suite and setting their parallax at 100 yards.
I own two of those Weaver shotgun scopes - they are set for 50yds. I could be wrong but I believe that Leupold was using 75yds. Simmons, Tasco and BSA and others could be using anything.

cje1980
March 30, 2009, 10:21 PM
scholling, I would love to hear about your findings if you get time to check out the focus at 200 yards. I have a feeling that it will turn out fine but I just worry since it was kind of an impulse buy.

So do you think the scope is a high quality scope? Do you know where it was made? What is the reticle like?

Thanks, for your input on this matter.

sholling
March 30, 2009, 10:29 PM
The scope is made in Japan and rumored to be manufactured by LOW (good stuff), and in my opinion is on the same level as a Burris Fullfield II or a Nikon Buckmaster. The reticle is a normal Weaver Dual-X reticle like this (http://www.swfa.com/pc-5162-860-weaver-4x38-classic-k4-series-rifle-scope.aspx) one.You did good!

taylo
March 30, 2009, 10:58 PM
L Kilkenny - I like your way of thinking.

I think Parallex is an issue when a hunter may have to do something in a hurry and a much bigger deal on high power scopes. There are MANY people who are taking to set power scopes - like yours, and on a variety of rifles. It can't be that big of an issue.

I am heavily leaning toward getting a set-up like yours but I think I want a straight 2 on mine. I will be using it in Northern Idaho for whitetails and it is thick as thick up there. 50 yards is a long shot.

Swampghost
March 31, 2009, 06:59 PM
I put a Simmons 1.5-5 X 32 shotgun scope on one of my 1894's. Zeroed @ 100 yds. it put together close and sometimes touching holes. @ 200 yds. it was 14" low but the grouping was spreading to 3". I didn't notice any problem with parallax but the scope started coming unglued (the recticle started rotating).

The gunshop did replace the scope, remounted and bore-sighted for free. I have 145 rds. through it with no problems so far.

cje1980
March 31, 2009, 08:17 PM
Swampghost, 3" groups at 200 yards with a levergun is mighty impressive. It sounds like a shotgun scope would not be a big problem at those distances then. I know that parallax doesn't begin to be a problem until past 500 yards with a 100 yard parallax setting but wasn't sure how a scope set at 50 yards would respond. I figure it would have problems beyond 200-250 yards but am not sure if there is a linear relationship between differen parallax settings. The reason why I got the scope is because it was really cheap, light, compact and I anticipate at doing a lot of shooting anywhere from about 50-200 yards. Definitely no long shots with this rifle.

sholling
March 31, 2009, 09:13 PM
I took my Weaver shotgun scope out at 7pm and it's pretty good at a guestimated 200yds. Plenty bright to.

Swampghost
March 31, 2009, 09:54 PM
cje, My son and I were just fooling around at the range. Down at the 200 yd. end they have pipes that go through the 100 yd. berm. If you miss the pipes, they throw you out for the day. The .44 Mag was behaving really well @ 100 so it was shot last just in case. Didn't hit the pipe but hit the target below the one that I was aiming for. Shoot-N-See targets and son manning the spotting scope. That's how I was able to measure the 14" drop.

As to leverguns and accuracy. Hand me my 336 in 30-30 with the Nikon 3X9 and that group will tighten up considerably.

I consider levers as light, close, fast action rifles even though I can operate a bolt at about the same speed, never timed it. They can be accurate too within their range.