PDA

View Full Version : Getting into the world of Bolt Action

IMightBeWrong
March 29, 2009, 07:30 PM
Trying to decide on a rifle in .308 Win with a bolt action, but I'm so green I don't know where to start other than that the Remington 700 made a good impact on me. I've had a bit of experience with the Rem, some with a Nagant, and some with a Mauser K98. Love the older rifles, and love the Rem, but I don't know what to pick up. I want something with some quality and accuracy that I won't want to sell for quite some time. Any suggestions?

sholling
March 29, 2009, 08:02 PM
It would help a lot if we knew what you were going to use it for. For example a hunting rifle is light for easy carry but the barrel heats up too fast to really be a good choice for target shooting.On the other hand a varmint or tactical rifle are too heavy to be much fun to carry in the boonies.

Good quality bargain (<$500) hunting rifles include Howa and Weatherby Vanguard.
Top notch ~$500-600 hunting rifles include Tikka, Savage and many others.

On the heavy side tactical and varmint side both Tikka and Savage make very accurate rifles.

dr.charlemagne@gmail
March 29, 2009, 08:27 PM
this question is asked every 2-4 days. I myself asked it anyway a week or two ago. search "308 bolt action" for a wealth of knowledgable discussion.

Dr. Strangelove
March 29, 2009, 08:52 PM
Get thee to the gun store and fondle some rifles! Savage and Ruger make excellent products that are a very good value. I have a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag that has amazed me with it's accuracy, as well as a Ruger Model 77 in .308 that is a great gun, though not as accurate as the Savage. I also have a custom .270 on a Mauser action I had built 20 years ago, it is more accurate than the Ruger or the Savage, but for my needs, I wouldn't do it again. ($$$$) Any of the three mentioned are more than capable of doing what I need a rifle to do, which is hunting and casual range shooting.

It would be hard to go wrong with any of today's production guns, just go to a well-stocked store or two and spend some time with the rifles that strike your fancy. Asking an internet board to pick a rifle for you is like asking one to pick your wife, I happen to like chunky blue eyed brunettes, you may like skinny blondes, but they're all the same in the dark....:)

IMightBeWrong
March 29, 2009, 09:11 PM
Just looking for suggestions. I'm looking for a target shooter, not a hunting rifle. I'll look for other threads on the topic, but I'd still like to get some ideas for things to look at.

If it helps, I'm a huge Glock fan for the following reasons:

Price
Weight
Simplicity

A rifle with good accuracy that has strong points in these areas as well would be great.

mcraig8377
March 29, 2009, 11:45 PM
i have a savage that is a good rifle but honestly it cant compare to my remington 700. there is a reason for the cheaper price on the savages! i think theres just so many people that own them because they are cheaper is the reason you here them being hyped up!

stlcardinalfan
March 30, 2009, 01:06 AM
If you are going to get a bolt action in .30 caliber get a .30-06. The .308 was developed as a replacement cartridge for the .30-06 because it would cycle better in semi autos. I really see no reason to get a bolt gun in .308. The only short action guns I have are semi autos. Any time there is a short and a long action available for any caliber I always get the long action if it's going to be a turnbolt. Unless the long action choice is a horrible cartridge.

hardhit
March 30, 2009, 02:00 AM
The Tikka T3 Super Varmint or tactical
This is an excellent rifle, with a clean heavy barrel in MOA trim.

It comes in blued or stainless bead-blasted finish and,
Comes in tactical dress as well all black.

The only thing I don’t like, is the plastic magazine but considering what you get I can live with it for now.

Tikka T3 Super Varmint
Small 204 Ruger, 222 Rem, 223 Rem
Medium 22-250 Rem, 243 Win, 260 Rem, 7 mm-08 Rem, 308 Win
Short Magnum 270 WSM, 300 WSM
Std. Long 25-06 Rem, 6.5x55 SE, 270 Win, 30-06 Sprg, 9.3x62
Std. Magnum 7 mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag

dmazur
March 30, 2009, 10:15 PM
I'm looking for a target shooter, not a hunting rifle.

OK, here you go -

Savage 12 F/TR (http://www.savagearms.com/12FTR.htm)

I had a target rifle built on a MRC 1999 action in .30-06, but if I'd known about the Savage F/TR I might not have gone that route...