PDA

View Full Version : bushmaster m4 or bushmaster 16 inch heavy barrel carbine

mcraig8377
March 27, 2009, 10:05 PM
what would you pick? the bushmaster m4 type in 16 inch or the bushmaster 16 inch heavy barrel carbine both are the a3 removeable handle/telestock/newer meaning the 2008/2009 version.

armedtotheteeth
March 27, 2009, 10:22 PM
uhm, the 20 inch A3. Or better yet, the Predator. Accuracy trumps tacticoolness any day.

mcraig8377
March 28, 2009, 12:00 AM
dont want a 20 inch have a more effective weapon for that!

Rifleman 173
March 28, 2009, 12:10 AM
For moving around and tactical work, the M-4 type carbine can't be beat. I love mine and so do about 6 other guys who keep trying to con me out of it. I put a simple, cheap Tasco 2X red dot scope on mine and a flashlight with a forward lower grip for tactical work. If I don't keep it glued to my body at the range, the other guys kid me about taking home with them. That's how much they like MY Bushmaster M-4 clone.

LateNightFlight
March 28, 2009, 01:02 AM
Accuracy trumps tacticoolness any day.

+1 And I think the way to get there is with a free floated, 16" heavy. My almost stock Bushy flat top carbine is surprisingly accurate for what it is, inch and a half to 2" groups fairly typical, but I often have thoughts of a heavy 16" in a free float tube to make it more of what I want. (I have a 24" CMMG SS bull that shoots no better than the Bushy, and it's cumbersome.)

Aim for a trigger upgrade. Stock Bushmaster triggers are crapola, and I didn't put 50 rounds through the gun before I swapped out the trigger for a drop in Timney trigger. That's all I'd change... I'd get the trigger, and their 16" bull barrel with a free float tube.

armedtotheteeth
March 28, 2009, 08:49 AM
yes, Bushmaster triggers are crappola. The one that came on my bushy is in coffee can somewhere. A timmney 3 pound single stage sits in its place. far more better. Anything is better than the stock bushy trigger.

KyJim
March 28, 2009, 12:56 PM
I think you need to consider what you want to use it for. If you want a short to medium range gun for plinking and defensive purposes, a lighter weight barrel makes sense so long as you don't then weigh it down with five pounds of attachments.

Alleykat
March 28, 2009, 04:34 PM
For moving around and tactical work, the M-4 type carbine can't be beat

I'm just not THAT into "moving around and tactical work." How much "tactical" work do you do with your M-4?? I do shoot a heavy-barreled Bushy Shorty. Free-floated the barrel using a DPMS free-float tube. Currently using a two-stage RRA NM trigger, which I don't like as much as the JP trigger/hammer that I'm now using in a recent varmint AR build.

I just don't "get" all that Ramboesque hanging crap off of ARs, just to have something to post pics of on forums like this! Can't imagine anything more uncomfortable to handle than a four-rail handguard. Can't imagine using a vertical grip for my purposes.

HiBC
March 28, 2009, 04:35 PM
Depends on your use.'

For myself,it is a target/plinking/varmint gun,and the sub MOA accuracy of my 16 H-bar free float gives me what I want.

In the short term,if I had to defend myself with it,it would be fine.

I'm not a veteran,and will leave discussing the other aspects of using the M-4 to those with experience..

Mine has a round tube rifle length forend.I slid about a 7 in lennghth of the Pachmeter rubber forend sleeve over it,so there is a cushioned rubber section to use on a rest.I can attach a short Harris bipod if I choose,but I don't use it much.

My brother borrowed it,and without drilling holes or anything,attached a shrt rail for a frend grip.I was skeptical,
But actually,offhand,it works like a palm rest on an old schuetzen rifle

And Prone,with a 20 rd mag,I can use it with my fist on the ground in sort of a Hawkins position that is good for PD's(but use a tarp,PD towns have PD droppings on the ground,then there is bubonic plague)

I have the RRA trigger,as the modular ones weren't out yet.Its good.

I put a 14" swan sleeve on my flattop and moved the scope forward so eye relief is right with the stock one click out in most positions.All the way short,I put the buttstock just right of my sternum,under my eye.With the 2.5-8 on lowest power,,I can shoot on the move,two eyes open.

mcraig8377
March 28, 2009, 04:35 PM
just to let you know im looking for accuracy and all around performance in the long run. for some reason the 16 inch heavy barrel carbines are more expensive here. i looked in bushmasters magazine and it says that the m4 version should cost more money. is it maybe that bushmaster is not making as many of the 16 inch heavy barrel carbines?