PDA

View Full Version : Double barrel side by side single trigger for around $1000.00 or less.

broncobob
March 27, 2009, 06:15 PM
I would like to know if there is a double barrel side by side,with a single
trigger,shell ejectors, barrel selector,new for A $1000.00 or less,more than
likely a import,japan or some place.If anyone knows of such A jewel,the info
would be greatly appreciated.

oneounceload
March 27, 2009, 07:21 PM
You might be able to find a quality Spanish or Italian USED one at your price. A used SKB would also fit into that category....Not too sure what new ones would be out there, but I would question the quality

zippy13
March 28, 2009, 01:43 AM
Broncobob

You didn't mention what you're planning to do with your new SxS: HD, range, upland or blind? If you are going to have ejectors, you'll probably want them to be selective. Some lower cost shotguns have "dumb" or "common" ejectors that throw out both shells if they've been shot or not. IMHO, dumb ejectors are worse than no ejectors. If you don't really need them, why pay for them?
A common lift-on-opening extractor, without ejection, is the simplest and least costly design. If you find a gun meeting your needs within budget, I suspect it will come from a place less developed than Japan.

darkgael
March 28, 2009, 06:26 AM
Remington's Spartan line (imported from Russia) offers two SXSs , SPR 210 and SPR 220, that are well within your budget. You will hear differing opinions about them. Some people find them very serviceable, others think that they are junk.
I have had one of the originals (before Remington) for about 15 years. It works.
Pete

PS at 9pm - Just took a closer look at the Spartans. Double triggers. My mistake. Sorry 'bout that. The original Baikal Ish-43, which I have, has a single trigger and a barrel selector. It's a functional utility field gun.
Pete

broncobob
March 28, 2009, 07:06 PM
You folks have been A tremendous amount of help.Zippi 13,you're right I didn't say what the gun would be used for.Well to be truthful I'm a dedicated pheasant hunter,so that's what the gun would be used for.While I have your
attention,I ran across an article about Browning SXS, whats your opinion
on that as far as A worth while gun?

Waterengineer
March 28, 2009, 07:46 PM
If you can find a BSS for your $1K budget let me know, I doubt you can.

Other than that a BSS is a great gun, great build quality. But heavy, IMHO.

I cannot think of a $1K SxS with one trigger and barrel selector. Most inexpensive SxS's with one trigger shoot the right barrel first then the left barrel.

They have to cut corners for cost somewhere.

Why do you want one trigger? Two triggers, choose your choke.

Why does it have to be new. There are a ton of really good used guns around.

If you can move your budget upward 20-40 percent you will be opening up lots more possibilities. To be blunt SxS's are expensive.

Given your budget, here are a few ideas (but I think most will be two triggers and used)

1. Ithaca
2. Ted Williams (Sears)
3. Western Field (Montgomery Wards)
4. Stevens
5. Fox
6. LeFever
7. Huglu
8. CZ
9. Weatherby
10. Remington SPR (Huglu)
11. Hunter Arms
12. Smith
13. Mossberg (model 90, I think)
14. SKB

Personally, if I were looking for a pheasant gun, I'd be lookin' for a 16 bore.

OK, there is my brain dump. With your list of requirements and budget, good luck. Let is know what you get.

zippy13
March 28, 2009, 07:58 PM
As Waterengineer said, the Browning SxS you mentioned is the type B-SS and they came in several models depending on the bells and whistles added. They're from the Miroku works (of Citori fame) in Japan, and they were discontinued over 20-years ago. I did a quick look in a used gun list, and they are generally about twice your budget, or more. There were a few at around $1K, but they're the single non-selective trigger model. Could you live with non-selective trigger?
An older Japanese B-SS might be preferable to a new Russian or Turkish gun for the same money. I have no idea about the parts availability for the B-SS.

Waterengineer
March 28, 2009, 08:09 PM
Zippy is on the mark. I know where there is a BSS 12 bore, 26-inch, fixed chokes for sale with not so great bluing for $1400. It's OK but I wouldn't own it or I already would.

OK I'll say it again. 16 bore = pheasants.

Waterengineer
March 28, 2009, 08:15 PM
Here is a dandy

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=125822333

oneounceload
March 28, 2009, 08:17 PM
For around that budget, right now, there are some sweet Belgian Browning O/U superposeds in 12 and 16 for about 1500 or so - which would be awesome on phez......

AMT8951
March 29, 2009, 08:33 AM
I just purchased a Remington Spartan SPR220, from Buds Guns for $368. Thus far I'm very happy with it. The action is pretty stiff, but hopefully it will loosen up a bit with use. The trigger isn't fantastic either (a bit heavy) . However, it has selective ejectors, a single trigger, screw in chokes, and a barrel selector. So far, I've only busted clays with it, but it seems to come up well, shoot well, and is reliable. Can't wait to go phesant hunting with it. I do not have much experience with SxS's but, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Hope this helps.