PDA

View Full Version : Refurbished Stevens Model 66B

Neil2470
March 26, 2009, 05:39 PM
So I finally finished refurbishing my grandfathers Stevens Model 66B.
When my father met my mother, my grandfather had died already and my mother was in charge of taking care of his estate. Most of my grandfathers guns were pre-serial number weapons and so thinking they were illegal my mother was one by one throwing them in New Yorks east river. Luckily my father was able to save this Stevens. Unfortunately my uncle told me that my grandfather had at least two German Luger's. Unfortunately my father was too late for those and my uncle was away in the army.

When I got it it had no bolt, the stock was in really bad shape and the gun itself was a little rusty.

Here are the changes I made:

Bolt: took months to find one but finally did.

Stock: Stripped off old finish, sanded down, stained with a linseed oil/ cherry finish homemade mix.

I am contemplating having it re-blued but I think it might take away from the overall look.

But anyway here are some pictures

stlcardinalfan
March 27, 2009, 12:42 AM
You got a looooooooooooooooong ways to go before reblueing! By the way I got a Stevens exactly like it. I think mine is a 66C though or something. My Grandpa's got it for shooting raccoons.

Buzzcook
March 27, 2009, 01:24 AM
Even a WWI Luger would have a serial number. While some firearms didn't have serial numbers before WWII most of them were .22 rimfires.

Nice job on the rifle. It doen't look like it needs a re-blue.