PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Super Shadow

klcmschlesinger
March 23, 2009, 08:19 AM
I have been watching for a rifle that suits a purpose for a 2010 hunt, and hunts beyond, and I stumbled on a CDNN deal that I was wanting some opinion on. It is a Winchester Super Shadow in 7mm WSM. $389 with a scope (I will use that scope for something else and put my Burris on the gun). I have shot a Model 70 in 7mm Mag and liked it, my uncles. Anyone have any comments on the Super Shadow or on the 7mm WSM? I have read about and see ballistics on the 7mm WSM but haven't talked to anyone with practical experience. I am a handloader so ammo cost is not a huge concern.
Thanks.

HuntAndFish
March 23, 2009, 10:54 PM
We've talked about the Super Shadow before and the consensus seems to be that it's a good gun if you blue loctite the action screws to keep them tight. Some have this issue and some don't.

Yithian
March 24, 2009, 12:00 AM
Well, as you can probably guess, they don't make the S.Shadow any longer.
CDNN has nearly all the overstock. The owner does his business that way.
At some point, if his sales warrant it, he will drop his price again. (It is nearly the same price as last year, and the year before.)
The deciding factor is out of our hands. At some point he will find another great deal on quantities of items, and want to make room for them. (as he did for the Steyr Pro Hunters and Win S.Shadows ... he finds sellers with huge quantities of items, offers to buy all of them at huge discount, and then is [almost always] the only supplier with any left)
Walmart sold all of their overstock, to average Joe customers like you and I, at somewhere about an average of $200 each. (So, I'm not sure where CDNN got his stock from.)

I guess my point is... If you, and everyone else, held off on purchasing one from CDNN, he will eventually drop his prices too.
But if you wait, you run the risk of missing out on a rifle now, since not all buyers read these forums.

It is still a good deal on a rifle. Replace the glass soon and try your hardest to keep that pencil barrel cool. And, replace that thin stock.
7mmWSM is one of the better calibers, too.