PDA

View Full Version : COLT vs H&K

essohbe
March 22, 2009, 11:01 PM
Well, I am looking to purchase an AR-15 for my next rifle. I really like what Colt has done but have better (yet probably misplaced) expectations for the civiliian version of the HK (MR556) coming out in "late 2009" (so says their website).

With the HK being better engineered to the Colt design, I'm not going to be jumping out of swamps of rubbing the gun into the sand so that pretty much eliminates the need for the better engineering. I don't think the HKs are as modular as the Colts either.

Also, I've never shot an HK so I still need to test it out but maybe someone here already has and if I could get your input it would be appreciated, like maybe how do they handle up against the Colt rifles?

Thanks!

Hind_MI24
March 23, 2009, 02:34 AM
HK any day.

Colt is to guns what Fender is to guitars . Sacrificed quality because they can ride on their name.

alberich
March 23, 2009, 06:09 AM
I'd go for that HK without a second thought, it's not only about quality, but the HK 416 design is improved and uses a piston. If you are interested in more info on that topics, I linked an article and SOCOM test video to some other thread, it was named like M4 in 7.62x39 IIRC.

RT
March 23, 2009, 07:56 AM
Hk for the cool factor and the bragging rights.. if you can actually get your hands on one.
I am happy with my DI rifles, but if I were to buy a piston AR it would probably be a LMT or LWRC, maybe even a XCR . Or I might just go all out and buy a FN SCAR?

KChen986
March 23, 2009, 08:03 AM
The general consensus is that piston ARs are generally not necessary unless you run a suppressor or an SBR. Most modern ARs with 14.5" of barrel or more will run reliably.

If you're waiting for an HK, I'd suggest you find a retailer who's willing to take pre-orders. New, highly anticipated rifles are generally scarce, and people will usually scalp em' for twice the price.

Also, I'd suggest considering if possibly paying 1.5x more is worth the HK name and the piston. (Price is unconfirmed at this moment, but i remember reading the price point in the mid 2ks or 3ks).

To my knowledge, Piston ARs have a little harsher recoil (but it's a .223...I mean come one, how harsh can recoil be?).

essohbe
March 23, 2009, 08:14 AM
Yea, and then there's the whole price thing too... I still like the HKs but it's a bit impractical fo me to pay so much. I'll see what developes.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Bartholomew Roberts
March 23, 2009, 08:15 AM
Shoehorning a gas piston into an AR15 is a difficult-task engineering wise and you end up making some tradeoffs. H&K has done it well; but the result is a heavier foreend and a taller upper receiver rail. Modularity wise, the HK416 is similar to the AR15 except for any accessory relying on the top rail (sights, optic mounts) and fewer rail systems (different rail system and different height). You can actually use AR15 accessories on the top rail of an HK416, they will just be a bit off.

For what it is worth, Colt also makes a gas piston version (and offered it to the Army over ten years ago), though I haven't seen any available for sale. They showed their Colt LE1020 semi-auto only gas piston at SHOT 2006.

If you are just comparing gas piston to direct impingement then the search function will reveal several discussions on that comparison.

Bosshoff
March 23, 2009, 11:00 PM
I'd go full poser.

lipadj46
March 23, 2009, 11:11 PM
I would take a piston gas system any day over DI even if it does make the forend heavier. I know the AR has been proven and is a good solid battle rifle but gas pistons are just a more robust reliable design IMO.

Kmar40
March 23, 2009, 11:50 PM
With the HK being better engineered to the Colt design,Get what you want, but HK doesn't necessarily equal "better engineered", see VP70 and those crappy AR mags that don't work in anything. As a general rule, I don't buy anything from a company that despises me (civilian shooters).

Bartholomew Roberts
March 24, 2009, 09:22 AM
I know the AR has been proven and is a good solid battle rifle but gas pistons are just a more robust reliable design IMO.

You know, I might be willing to concede that point if we were talking about a rifle that had been engineered from the start to be a gas piston rifle, though even then the difference is pretty minimal. However, when you start trying to keep the same parts/layout as an AR15 but totally redesign the gas system, that is a substantial engineering challenge and there are no shortage of AR gas piston designs that are not as reliable and robust as the direct impingement system they are replacing.

Key shear, carrier tilt, bolt lugs dragging the chamber extension - these are all problems caused by trying to make a rifle designed around direct impingement into a gas piston rifle. Some manufacturers have dealt with this better than others; but all of them have to engineer around these issues and still fit everything in the original AR dimensions. Which is one reason why you so often find companies with successful gas piston designs (HK for example) stretching those dimensions just a bit for extra room (such as the taller than normal upper receiver).

The big weakness in direct impingement comes when you change the dwell time by shortening or lengthing the barrel without changing the gas port. Shortening the barrel is OK up to about 10.5" and then you start to hit a wall where the time necessary to extract and the size of the gas port leave less and less room for error. The other extreme is when you add a suppressor - which effectively increases the dwell time significantly without changing the gas port size or location. With longer gas systems, you have a little bit of tolerance but in the shorter gas systems the effect is more pronounced. So shorties, suppressors, and especially shorties with suppressors, and there is a good role for a gas piston.

Otherwise, let's look at the recent Army sand tests (6,000 rounds in sandstorm conditions, quick field clean every 600 rounds, full clean every 1,200 rounds) to quantify that "more robust and reliable" number. The difference between the M4 (last place finisher) and the first place finisher was 1% more reliability in some very extreme conditions. The difference between the HK416 and the M4 was even less. So if you aren't going to be firing three times your basic infantry load without cleaning or lube in a sandstorm of talcum-powder like sand, are you even going to notice the reliability differences between a Colt LE6920 (semi 16" M4) and an HK MR556 (semi 16" HK416)?

IZZY
March 24, 2009, 10:05 AM
Bart,

Sounds like a field test I would love to read. Do you have a link for that?

Was the Ak a "control" in the tests???;)

Thanks.

mrray13
March 24, 2009, 10:12 AM
don't forget the sig 556..it's out now, has a 2 stage adjustable piston system and is under the $2k price tag. the three or so i've seen in my area are all around $1600...

just had to toss that one in there.

kraigwy
March 24, 2009, 10:13 AM
You know, you can rant and curse the M16 until you are blue in the face, but all the rumors don't match reality.

First, I wont to remind you, the soldiers who use the rifle, (I'm talking about end users in combat, not rear area support), were surveyed, 80% are happy with the M16/M4 System. Thats a pretty large margin. Yeah you have the 20% but you cant please everyone.

Second: The AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit) was task with coming up with a Desinated Marksman Rifle (See Shooting Times: Guide to Long Range Rifles).

The M14 worked but is suffering from lack of parts, and the requirment to train infantry troops with another weapons system.

The AMU came up with a National Match Type M16 (Using both Colt and FN Lowers). The only differance in it, and what you buy for your NRA High Power Matches is the lack of open sights on the SDM Rifles. Another big additions is the MK262 Mod 1 ammo, which, is what most load for high power matches with the ARs. Nothing more then 77 SMKs loaded in Match Brass. DM shooters are trained to hit man size targets out to 900 meters. The Rifle also fires the M855 ball, which is also good in this rifle at extended ranges. Its easier to find M855 Ball on the battle field then it is to find M118 (for the M14s).

So we can rant and rave all we want, but the M16 system is hear to stay. The army just ordered another 450K M16/M4,s that dosnt sound like a switch to the H&k to me.

You can choose what ever rifle pleases you, Personally I'd go the AR, and spend the left over funds on ammo down range. But thats just me, your milage may very.

Bartholomew Roberts
March 24, 2009, 11:47 AM
Bart,

Sounds like a field test I would love to read. Do you have a link for that?

This was the sand test requested by Senator Coburn prior to purchasing more M4s. The contestants were 10 rifles each from the M4, FN SCAR, HK XM8 and HK416. The lowest scoring contestant (the M4) was reliable 98.6% of the time in a test that was so severe that not one of the test rifles (for any brand) had safe headspace by the end of the 6,000 round test.

You can find a PowerPoint that goes into specifics of the test and results here: http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1084

You can also find discussions of this test on TFL at:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272724&highlight=M4+sand+test
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291085&highlight=M4+sand+test

Also a good piece relevant to M4 reliability here:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328678&highlight=M4+sand+test

jman841
March 24, 2009, 02:11 PM
HK with a piston (HK 416) or one of the newly released weapon systems such as the SCAR and the AUG has been rerelased this year which is an excellent weapon as well. All of them are fairly pricey however.

Wildalaska
March 24, 2009, 02:32 PM
Well lets see...a reliable, mil spec AR that is actually a combat arm design for $1575 that is available right now vs an unproven in combat pie in the sky gun (that indeed, I have on order and a waiting list on, to each his own) with a whoopeedo piston (big deal IMHO) that will sell for $2500 plus?

WildwearefromhkandyousuckAlaska ™

alberich
March 24, 2009, 05:15 PM
Wildalaska

Combat proven indeed. That's exactly why Delta force were cooperating with HK on 416 development. Obviously these ungrateful bastards issued with a superb M4 without that obsolete whoopeedo pistons were just fancying a new shiny toys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGwkHktkTxU&feature=related

Wildalaska
March 24, 2009, 05:21 PM
Delta force indeed:rolleyes:

I know..Operators......can't be a operator without an HK:rolleyes:

You can ev en load the mags backwards and they work

Let me know when a whole brigade drags 416 though the dust on a whole tour. I hav'nt had one complaint about the M4 yet.

Wildandihavethe501stboysallovertheplaceAlaska ™

Ozzieman
March 24, 2009, 05:53 PM
Having owned a 91, 93, still have a SLR-8 and have also owned several Colt AR’s and still own one, I would go with the HK.
I have not seen the MR556 but since it has the same piston system as the G36 and the SLR-8 and with the history that I have had with HK’s barrels I think it will be a very good weapon.
I have not heard anything about price and I am sure it’s going to be on the high side but I feel that with an HK the money spent will be well worth the quality returned.

Bartholomew Roberts
March 24, 2009, 08:12 PM
Obviously these ungrateful bastards issued with a superb M4 without that obsolete whoopeedo pistons were just fancying a new shiny toys.

Or maybe they had a need to use short ARs with and without suppressors, one of the areas where the gas piston does show an immediate advantage over a direct impingement rifle.

The other issue is comparing new HK416s to old M4s being used by a unit that is very, very hard on firearms due to their dedication to training/shooting. If I give you an M4 with 80,000 rounds on it that has had typical Army maintenance and any other new semi-automatic rifle, the new rifle is probably going to look pretty good - at least at first (kind of like the HK High Reliability Magazine was all the rage until it was discovered that the "High Reliability" was not also "High Longevity.")

lipadj46
March 24, 2009, 08:27 PM
Otherwise, let's look at the recent Army sand tests (6,000 rounds in sandstorm conditions, quick field clean every 600 rounds, full clean every 1,200 rounds) to quantify that "more robust and reliable" number. The difference between the M4 (last place finisher) and the first place finisher was 1% more reliability in some very extreme conditions. The difference between the HK416 and the M4 was even less.

From what I recall of the latest "dust test" was that the M4 came in last place and malfunctioned somewhere around 900 times whereas the HK malfunctioned somewhere around 120 times. They classified the M4 as performing "significantly worse" than the leading rifles.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/12/army_carbine_dusttest_071217/

This makes people wonder what was done differently between these two test where in the first one like you said the M4 was not as bad. I assume the military gets the results it is looking for and in this case they wanted the M4 to look bad for whatever reasons. But it still stands that this test was very clear that in extremely dusty conditions the newer gas piston designs are more reliable.

Stevie-Ray
March 24, 2009, 10:21 PM
Get the Colt.

Bartholomew Roberts
March 25, 2009, 07:40 AM
From what I recall of the latest "dust test" was that the M4 came in last place and malfunctioned somewhere around 900 times whereas the HK malfunctioned somewhere around 120 times.

Out of 60,000 rounds fired (6,000 each through 10 rifles), the M4 had 863 Class 1&2 stoppages (can be fixed in the field) and 19 Class 3 stoppages (armorer level maintenance). This means the M4 fired 98.53% of all rounds with no issues, even though by the end of the test none of the rifles had proper headspace.

The HK416 had 219 Class 1 & 2 stoppages and 14 Class 3 stoppages. This means the HK416 fired 99.62% of all rounds with no issues, even though by the end of the test none of the rifles had proper headspace. So in extreme sand conditions (25 hour dust storm, lubricated only 10 times, cleaned only 5 times), the HK416 was roughly 1.1% more reliable.

Of note, the Army ran the same dust test earlier that year with only the M16A2 and M4 and the M4 had only 296 Class 1&2 stoppages with 11 Class 3 stoppages - giving it a 99.49% reliability and suggesting that even the 1.1% difference in reliability under these extreme conditions may not be that big after all.

When we further look at the cause of the stoppages, we see two areas that stand out - Failures to Feed (typically magazine problems). The M4 had 253 - 102 more than its nearest competitor (which happened to be the HK416). The M4 was using USGI mags. The HK416 was using HK HRM mags. I wonder how that test would have come out if we switched the two mags around?

The second big area is failure to extract - the M4 got blown away here. It had 271 failures to extract. Its next closest competition (the XM8) had 9. Unfortunately, this isn't much of a shock. Every other single competitor used a modern proprietary extractor that had more grip than the M4 and that required a different bolt and barrel extension design. The M4 had the black insert and 5-coil spring upgrade; but it is using a 40yr old design that was originally designed around a 20" barrel. As the barrel is shortened to 14.5", you increase the forces on the bolt around 1.5 times past the original design due to the way DI works (remember the comment about shorties and suppressors?).

But it still stands that this test was very clear that in extremely dusty conditions the newer gas piston designs are more reliable.

Yes, they are around 0.28 to 1.3% more reliable in these extreme conditions. The question then becomes is the price difference worth it for that reliability in conditions you will never see or is it better to just add lube every 300 rounds instead of every 600 rounds?

Funeralfog
March 25, 2009, 07:46 AM
i bought a Colt and probably shot 3000 rounds through it, never jammed once. and the value of it went up anywhere from 300-500 dollars, plus it feels nice to own a Colt, and not some foreign version

lipadj46
March 25, 2009, 08:03 AM
Yes, they are around 0.28 to 1.3% more reliable in these extreme conditions.

There were 2 tests. I am speaking of the second one, whach one are you speaking of? You can spin the numbers any way you like because there is approxamately a 9 out of 10 chance that 98% of all M4 supporters would not agree with even 35% this test's conclusions anyways. You say the HK is only 1.1% more reliable I say the M4 had 4 times more malfunctions than the M4. The fact is that the M4 jammed 14.7% of the time and the HK jammed 3.7% of the time. That is an order of magnitude larger and is significant (out of 6000 rounds):

• XM8: 127 stoppages.

• MK16 SCAR Light: 226 stoppages.

• 416: 233 stoppages.

• M4: 882 stoppages.

the results of the test were “a wake-up call,”

I am not knocking the M4 but this test offer evidence that the gas piston designs are more tolerant to dirt and dust. The next military rifle will be a gas piston design it is just a matter of time. Will that make you AR any less of a rifle? No. They replaced my personal favorite rifle back in the 60's.

450NE
March 25, 2009, 09:11 AM
This kind of arguement always cracks me up.

I was there when the M16 first hit the ground in Viet Nam. Man you should have heard the whining and crying. 80% of my fellow Marines were completely convinced that the furniture was being made by Mattel. And they weren't joking.

I own 4 FA M16's. All Colts except for a 416 clone (FA). I own three 416 uppers and an LWRC upper.

Do I own them because I think they are superior? No. I own them because they are such a great investment. Armchair warriors everywhere are spending their hard earned money on the 416 because of it's "coolness" factor and nothing else.

I mean seriously, who is going to spend all that money on an H&K and even allow it fall in the sand. In fact, judging by current pricing, if you even shoot your H&K upper you have just had a thousand dollar experience.

I know, I know. When the balloon goes up and the bikers, mutants and zombies are circling and you are trapped on the sandy volley ball course in Paduka, you'll be glad you spent extra on that 416 upper.

Personally, I love my Colts.

Bartholomew Roberts
March 25, 2009, 09:56 AM
There were 2 tests. I am speaking of the second one, whach one are you speaking of?

There was the original M16 and M4 test in June. That test had the M4 at 307 stoppages. The second test was the M4, HK416, FN SCAR and HK XM8. That test had the M4 at 883 stoppages. I discussed both in my reply to you.

You can spin the numbers

Actually, you can't spin the numbers. They say what they say. That is the whole point of having an objective test like this. In this case, they say that the M4 is 1.3% less reliable in extreme sand conditions than the top finisher (the XM8).

You say the HK is only 1.1% more reliable I say the M4 had 4 times more malfunctions than the M4.

Under conditions where the rifles were only wiped down and lubricated every 600 rounds and only cleaned every 1,200 rounds, while going through a 25 hour dust storm and firing 6,000 rounds per rifle in a short time period. This test was hard enough on equipment that all of the rifles exhibited unsafe headspace after the test. In these types of extreme conditions, the HK416 was 1.1% more reliable than the second test and 0.13% more reliable than the M4 from the second test. Does that mean YOU will see that difference in reliability? Not necessarily since you won't be shooting in those conditions most likely.

Also take a look at how successful the wipedown and lube was in halting malfunctions for all rifles (see the link I gave earlier to the Powerpoint discussing results). Just re-lubing after every 300 rounds would further reduce stoppages and make differences in reliability even less obvious, even under these extreme conditions.

The fact is that the M4 jammed 14.7% of the time and the HK jammed 3.7% of the time. That is an order of magnitude larger and is significant (out of 6000 rounds)

60,000 rounds were fired (6,000 rounds out of 10 rifles). So your numbers are off and should be 1.47% for the M4 and 0.37% for the HK416. That is not an order of magnitude in difference, though it may be significant for some users.

Again, looking at the table, most of the malfunctions occured in cycles 15-25 for the M4 and on cycles 20-25 for the HK416 (which had a huge spike in malfunctions towards the end of the test as rifles wore out). This seems to suggest that the M4 wore out first, followed several cycles later by the HK416. It also points out the glaringly obvious - if you maintain your weapon and replace parts before they wear out, you will continue to get good, stoppage-free performance regardless of the weapon. Based on the sand test, the M4 needs preventive maintenance around 3,600 rounds if exposed to constant dust storms while firing and the HK416 needs preventive maintenance around 4,800 rounds in the same conditions.

So, if you clean your rifle and periodically inspect and replace worn parts - pretty much any of the four rifles tested will have negligble stoppage rates. If you don't do these things, then buying the HK416 or FN SCAR will get you an extra 1.1% reliability over the M4. That's a user choice and I can't say what solution is right for you; but you can buy a lot of CLP and spare parts if the price for the MR556 is in the $2-3k range.

I am not knocking the M4 but this test offer evidence that the gas piston designs are more tolerant to dirt and dust.

I think you are jumping to conclusions here. It offers evidence that modern firearms designed in the last five years are more tolerant to dirt and dust than a 10yr old modification of a 40yr old rifle design (the M4). If we look at some of the failures (magazine-related, bolt locking to the rear prematurely), it is clear that a lot of them have nothing to do with the gas system. On others (like the failures to extract), you could easily design a direct impingement with an improved bolt/extractor and barrel extension (and several companies have) instead of using a bolt/extractor designed for a 20" rifle. We also know that the M16 using a bolt/extractor designed for a 20" rifle did around 250 stoppages in the second dust test - pretty much comparable to the SCAR and HK416 despite the direct impingement system. In this case, it isn't the gas system that is the problem so much as it is using the same parts from a 20" rifle in a 14.5" carbine with only minor changes to accomodate the different pressures and work loads.

450NE
March 25, 2009, 10:41 AM
If I came across condescending that wasn't my intention and I apologize. Discussions like this are fun. No doubt about it. But they should be kept in perspective.

It is doubtful that any of our guns will ever be put through such a rigorous test and then be expected to work. Still it's fun to play "what if".

The problem with the MR556 is that it's not an AR. After they changed the pin to prevent the uppers from being used they destroyed the one thing that makes the AR platform so cool. The fact that it's modular and you can put it together any way you want.

I would imagine the MR556 will go the way of the SIG556. Yeah, they're cool but everyone want the AR platform.

HK416 parts will continue to climb in value (at least I hope so) because of their scarcity.

A very good friend of mine just returned from the SB and he used his own personal LWRC upper. He loved it. Is the H&K any better than LWRC? Better than POF? I don't know. Doubt it though.

Does H&K make excellent products? Sure they do. But so does Colt. I guess what really bothers me is the way people want to jump on the HK bandwagon and talk down Colts based on tests that don't really have that much real life application.

It's like when they feed a four ounce mouse a pound and a half of swee&lo every day and then announce that it causes cancer.

publius
March 25, 2009, 11:00 AM
I'd get an AR, the Colt if you can find one or a LMT. the AR-15 is a proven design, the HK is not and I don't really care for the way HK treats the civilian market.

lipadj46
March 25, 2009, 11:04 AM
I am talking down colt or talking up HK. I am just saying that a piston gas system is a more reliable system than DI. When colt comes out with their next generation design for the next big contract you better believe it will be a gas piston design (if they have not already I don't really follow these things too closely). Like I said above my M1A is my favorite military style rifle and I will probably never buy an HK anything or colt for that matter.

HorseSoldier
March 25, 2009, 11:47 AM
Combat proven indeed. That's exactly why Delta force were cooperating with HK on 416 development. Obviously these ungrateful bastards issued with a superb M4 without that obsolete whoopeedo pistons were just fancying a new shiny toys.

My last unit before I ETS'ed (white side SOF, not Delta or other JSOC guys) had some ODAs equipped with HK416s. When putting the 416 through its paces, some of the team guys noted that the HK rifles were notably less accurate than the M4A1s we otherwise had issued. Group sizes were about double what an M4 did at the same range, and in the case of M855 green tip the HK416s were just on the ragged edge of shooting 4 MOA, maybe a little sloppier than that.

4 MOA is combat acceptable for normal combat ranges, but it certainly isn't very good. On the other hand, the HKs run very well with suppressors, as Mr Roberts noted, and run cleaner if you're going to be shooting a bunch of rounds with a suppressor fitted.

My conclusion would be that CAG/Delta didn't purchase a hands-down superior weapon system, but rather that they opted for a different set of pluses and minuses that were better suited to their particular and peculiar operating requirements. The HK416 definitely does not seem to be a one-size-fits-all improvement.

Bartholomew Roberts
March 25, 2009, 12:38 PM
I am just saying that a piston gas system is a more reliable system than DI.

Like I said earlier, maybe so if we are talking new rifles built from the ground up. I am less convinced that is the case when you try to shoehorn a gas piston system into the existing AR architecture.

When colt comes out with their next generation design for the next big contract you better believe it will be a gas piston design (if they have not already I don't really follow these things too closely).

Actually, Colt just won the Marines' Individual Automatic Rifle solicitation using a direct impingement M16 variant. I don't know all of the competitors against Colt; but I know at least one of them was a gas-piston AR.

Wildalaska
March 25, 2009, 01:05 PM

More parts to break and I have seen it already before you ask

WildspringsAlaska ™

KChen986
March 25, 2009, 01:09 PM
Mr. Roberts is right, Colt and some other large defense manufacturers advanced in the IAR selection over POF & LWRC--however a couple of things:

1.) First, this may have been based off of the company's reputation more so than its superior design. Only FN and Colt won--both companies have provided weapons in the past. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a company which won a defense contract have trouble meeting supply schedules?

Source: http://weaponizedculture.wordpress.com/2009/03/04/the-pentagons-culture-of-risk-aversion/

2.) Colt's coming up with it's own Piston system--see the Short Compact Weapon--somewhat conceding that a piston system is more reliable than DI.

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1183

I will however agree though, that shoe-horning a piston system in to an AR isn't the most ideal--most notably both the SCAR and the XM8, piston systems, posted lower failure rates than either AR system (right? I'll double check the #'s later).

Just my .02 :)

Bartholomew Roberts
March 25, 2009, 02:27 PM
Actually Colt proposed a gas-piston M16 during the 1960s and the Army was uninterested. Colt refloated the piston idea in 1990s when the Army was working out teething issues with the M4 and was declined again. Whatever else you can say about HK, they can market well.

As for Colt, they make what people want to buy. If black powder Kentucky rifles sold like ARs, Colt would manufacture one. I think Colt offering a piston is more about keeping market share than any actual advantages in that system -note that Colt also builds a DI-piston hybrid just to cover its bases.

lipadj46
March 25, 2009, 02:49 PM
I guess we will have to wait and see what the m4 replacement will be. Personally I don't think it will be a DI system. Do you guys really think it will be DI with the FN SCAR and HK rifles selected already?

I don't know you don't hear many complaints about AK gas systems break.

ZeroJunk
March 25, 2009, 02:50 PM
I bought an AR15 from a guy that needed cash several years ago for $250. Having no interest in them I passed it to a friend for what I had in it. I must have been nuts.:mad:

Wildalaska
March 25, 2009, 04:08 PM
I don't know you don't hear many complaints about AK gas systems break.

Different system

WildthatswhyAlaska ™

KChen986
March 25, 2009, 04:25 PM
AFAIK, AR gas piston systems, at least the POF & LWRC all use short stroke systems, incorporating multiple parts.

There had been reports about short stroking (IIRC) if the POF piston was put in the wrong way. LWRC has *some* issues with the carrier key screws coming loose (from the shearing force of having a piston impact against a key that was not designed to take repeated solid impact).

So, although you might be gaining some reliability in one aspect, you're losing it since you're, again, adapting a piston system in to a rifle engineered to run DI.

On the other hand, the AK piston is just this one huge rod mated to the bolt....very simple and robust...

(Full disclosure, I am a *HUGE* LWRC fan and have two rifles on order).

As for Colt, they make what people want to buy. If black powder Kentucky rifles sold like ARs, Colt would manufacture one. I think Colt offering a piston is more about keeping market share than any actual advantages in that system -note that Colt also builds a DI-piston hybrid just to cover its bases.

Duly noted :).

IZZY
March 25, 2009, 08:26 PM
Bart,

Thank you for the links...here is what I found a bit preterbing:

"...we don't yet know specifically who put it together, i.e. who created it (individuals and/or agency or unit). The brief may have come out of U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC), or it could have been generated independently. We simply don't know, at this point, but we'll try to find out, and we appreciate any assistance any of our readers can provide on this."

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1084

BASICLY they don't know where thier INFORMATION came from.... WOW

So I did a simple search on "m4 extreme dust test"

And I found what may be a better source...the Army times:

"Officials tested 10 each of the four carbine models, firing a total of 60,000 rounds per model. Here’s how they ranked, according to the total number of times each model stopped firing:

• XM8: 127 stoppages.

• MK16 SCAR Light: 226 stoppages.

• 416: 233 stoppages.

• M4: 882 stoppages. "

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/12/army_carbine_dusttest_071217/

Further confusion is in order becuase there was MORE than ONE TEST:

"Out of the 60,000 rounds fired in the tests earlier in the summer, the 10 M4s tested had 307 stoppages, test results show, far fewer than the 882 in the most recent test.

in the recent tests, the M4 suffered 643 weapon-related stoppages, such as failure to eject or failure to extract fired casings, and 239 magazine-related stoppages.

Colt officials had not seen the test report and would not comment for this story, said James Battaglini, executive vice president for Colt Defense LLC, on Dec. 14.

Army officials are concerned about the gap between the two tests because the “test conditions for test two and three were ostensibly the same,” Brown said."

AND

"Miltary.com reported that the US Army sand tests will include 10 samples of each weapon through which engineers will fire 6,000 rounds. Each weapon and loaded magazine will be exposed to “extreme dust” for 30 minutes then test fired with 120 rounds. Each weapon will be wiped down and lubricated every 600 rounds, with a full cleaning every 1,200 rounds. The firing, collection of data and analysis of data is expected to take approximately 5 months.

One’s first reaction upon seeing the proposed testing regimen was to compare it very unfavorably with the regimen Delta Force put the HK416 through, firing it day after day without maintenance for thousands of rounds. Or even the testing HK itself uses for its HK416s. Indeed, it seems on its face to be a test designed to minimize the very weaknesses in the M4 incumbent that have triggered this controversy. Those who believe the cycle is reasonable cite 300 rounds as the soldier’s 1-day load, and say that under sand storm conditions, a once a day wipedown is the bare minimum for any weapon. Every 600 rounds is thus a safety factor of 2 against the worst possible conditions. Of course, sandstroms have a way of lasting more than one day, and when they do – as in the initial portion of Operation Iraqi Freedom – even vehicle interiors may feature a fine particulate haze."

"...One source noted that the first dust test new M4s had 9,836 jams in 60,000 rounds – almost one jam every 6 rounds. The Army kept working on the test until they figured out a “generous lubrication” approach that used far more than the manufacturer recommended, but lowered jams to 1 in 88 rounds. A fair test must match the manufacturer’s manual for each weapon, or use the same lubrication for each weapon based on the minimum recommended among all test weapons."

www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-usas-m4-carbine-controversy-03289

lipadj46
March 25, 2009, 09:17 PM
OK you guys win the M4 and it's DI gas system will live forever and never be replaced because it is perfect. We shall see.

LoneWolf22056
March 26, 2009, 12:57 AM
FWIW, i've shot about 1000 rounds through my new AR-15 M4 clone and haven't had ONE stoppage, even with purportedly "crappy" ammo. And by "crappy", i do NOT mean wolf ammo. using steel cased ammunition in an AR style rifle is really asking for trouble in the long-ish haul. If I'm not mistaken, the extractor is made of steel, and a large percentage of the AR receiver is aircraft aluminum. Steel is harder than aluminum, and harder metals coming into contact with a softer metal with some force behind it causes abrasion, even if only at a microscopic level. Some have argued that the steel used in the casings isn't quite as hard as we typically think of common steel to be, but knowing what I know about properties of materials, I'd rather not take the chance.

Back to the AR platform.
This was my first rifle and I have to say that I am extremely pleased. I've shot plenty of other rifles, and this one by far is the best I've ever fired. It's reliable as hell, as far as I can see. I clean it with a fine toothed comb so-to-speak after each range trip, so I haven't really tortured it... But why would you torture your own rifle when you want it to last for years and years? I don't care that an AK can go for years in salt water environments without cleaning and still reliably go bang. I'm not one to neglect my personal property, even if that "neglect" doesn't truly affect its functionality. If I did own an AK, I'd still clean it just as I do my AR. It's an investment and should be looked after as such. Why pay the extra 1000 for something that won't even really affect anything considering your intents and purposes? If you go with the AR, you won't be sorry. They're excellent weapons and let's face it... they're just plain cool. the low recoil makes it perfect for target shooting because you can shoot it all day and not feel a thing, although your wallet might be hurting due to ammo prices these days :p

Now, for more on a direct argument AGAINST a gas piston rifle.

The piston in itself is just another piece, as others have stated before. The more pieces you have, the more you have that can possibly go wrong. The AR is cycled by gas. no pistons to worry about. Clean the gas tube, good as new! given that the rifle isn't physically damaged in any way, you will be reliably cycling for a long time.

In terms of the military and what they deem as being reliable-The M16 platform has been their weapon system of choice for over 40 years. Even some precision sniper rifles are modeled directly after this setup. Look at the knights armament M110. What does that resemble? looks a lot like an AR to me! The AR/M16 must be doing something right, because it's been in service longer than any other rifle in military history. That alone should speak volumes. Sure, it had its bugs and glitches in it's early days in Vietnam. But how often do we get something of new design that doesn't have quirks to work out? What we are left with is a truly great rifle.

alberich
March 26, 2009, 10:38 AM
LoneWolf22056 Well, we are talking a military infantry rifle design. With all due respect, that means that you will spend days and week in very rough condition, freezing, wet, wounded, feverish, crawling in mud, flounder rivers, spending nights outside in rain, storm, whatever. And your rifle will be with you all of the time and you want it to go bang every time you pull the trigger.
Well almost every rifle will likely work if you keep cleaning it 24/7 but just imagine you are in real deep **** somewhere, tired as a dog, wounded, hungry, sleepy, and yet you have to keep the [sic] thunderstick meticulously clean all the time.
Now imagine that you are in combat, you run and crawl with the rifle throught every imaginable ****, slip and fall into mud, water, whatever and keep shooting. You have seen on that video what happens to the DI system when you immerse it into water?
I like the ergonomy and balance of M4 but heck I do hate that DI. I just don't trust it. Sure thing I'm going to keep my guns clean but I feel good if I know that I have a gun which would work even if very very dirty, namely if I have to shoot it outside.

Glock won the service pistol market simply because it will survive anything, will keep shooting all the time, and is capable to hit alpha of a human sized target at 20 meters. I like to shoot my other handguns but if I'd have to go into a firefight I'd take a Glock every time.

So, to summarize it: just give me a M4 with a piston preferably chambered in 6.8 SPC or something like that and I'm a happy man. But I don't want to see anything with a DI system as a future service rifle in our (Czech) army. However it will be the brass and politicians who will decide what weapon it is (note: the people who will likely never shoot and be shot at), as always. :(

kraigwy
March 26, 2009, 10:56 AM
you will spend days and week in very rough condition, freezing, wet, wounded, feverish, crawling in mud, flounder rivers, spending nights outside in rain, storm, whatever. And your rifle will be with you all of the time and you want it to go bang every time you pull the trigger.

Now imagine that you are in combat, you run and crawl with the rifle throught every imaginable ****, slip and fall into mud, water, whatever and keep shooting.

Been there, done that, Only I found I jumped into the mud or water more then I slipped and fell. I don't know about vedios, didn't have one then. But my Non piston M16A1 worked. Never failed me.

I'm gonna add, I was an infantryman, I learned you take care of your equipment before you take care of your self, regardless of how tired, cold, hot, sleepy etc you are.

IZZY
March 26, 2009, 11:03 AM
Wild and Lone,

Seriously guys, I am not ANTI Ar/M16/M4.

But you are pushing the envalope, and completely wrong on parts count.

52 total parts ( INCLUDING magazine) to an AK...

I count 74 parts in an AR ( NOT including magazine!!!) and full auto has just a part or two more...

so lets say 49 for the AK Vs. 75 for the M-16 (full stock).

maybe if you ADD onto an ar/M4 a D.G. piston, you will have (even) more parts...but still less than the AK

But please don't go off the handle and tell me an AK has more parts...that plain "silly buggers."

L.W.,

Keep in mind you are using your AR/ M-forgery in conditions other than what was / is in "I-wacki", and was in Vietnam/cambodia.

Light Military /Civillian use is exactly what the ar/m-16 was designed for...and it IS an IMPROVEMENT over the m1 Carbine in most respects.

So enjoy your rifle...

LoneWolf22056
March 26, 2009, 11:21 AM
you can immerse a standard M16 in water and fire it, just tilt the muzzle downward and let the water run out before you squeeze the trigger. i've seen it done before.

Wildalaska
March 26, 2009, 01:58 PM
But you are pushing the envalope, and completely wrong on parts count.

What does parts cpount have to do with anything:confused:

WildyalostmeAlaska ™

lipadj46
March 26, 2009, 03:18 PM
In terms of the military and what they deem as being reliable-The M16 platform has been their weapon system of choice for over 40 years. Even some precision sniper rifles are modeled directly after this setup. Look at the knights armament M110. What does that resemble? looks a lot like an AR to me!

Well yeah if the AR is your main battle rifle and is a easily accurizeable platform then it makes sense from a supply line and training perspective to go AR. Like I said above I don't think the AR is a bad rifle but I believe when it is replaced the next rifle will not be DI.

IZZY
March 26, 2009, 07:15 PM
Quote:

WildspringsAlaska ™

That what parts count has to do with it. You trash a Gas piston as "just annother part to break" Forgetting the AR has MANY more parts to break...

Now one also has to take into account which MAKER of AR or AK, pitting a Romanian WASR against a colt AR may not be a fair test ;)

Wildalaska
March 26, 2009, 07:26 PM
That what parts count has to do with it. You trash a Gas piston as "just annother part to break" Forgetting the AR has MANY more parts to break...

That makes no sense...we are comparing DI ARs to Piston ARs...what do AKs have to do with it.:confused:

Everyone knows that AKs are gods gift to third world robustness, whopee-do. When our GI's are allowed to use their rifles as stools in front of the fire after a hard day of pangaing women and children, then we can switch to AKs :)

WildhowdidaksgetinvolvedhereAlaska ™

IZZY
March 26, 2009, 08:51 PM
your post did not specify such a parameters.

If that is truely what you meant, it has some merit.
----------
The origional post was actualy about HK MR556 Vs. a Colt AR...that then degraded to a direct vs. piston action...

and then your post came about how a gas psiton is just another part to break...yada yada yada..

post drift:)

My Ak bullies your Honor student AK:p

Wildalaska
March 26, 2009, 10:36 PM
and then your post came about how a gas psiton is just another part to break.

it is...in an AR:cool:

WilddriftinglikebrownianmotionAlaska TM

kraigwy
March 26, 2009, 11:09 PM
My Ak bullies your Honor student AK

I was at a live fire FTX, with pop up shoot back targets, my competitiors were using AKs, I was using an AR, I'm here chatting, they arnt'

Chui
March 27, 2009, 09:22 AM
Bah! Direct Impingement was a bad idea from the get go. Yes, you get less mass but that's about it. Well, the rcoil impulse is slightly less than a gas piston design.

For a COMBAT RIFLE gas-piston is the de rigeur all around the world. Yet, the ergos of the AR-15 is second to none. MATE THE TWO AND YOU HAVE A BETTER RIFLE/CARBINE. End of story.

Playing with statistics can be very misleading and the "1.1% more reliable" claim is an example of same.

Adding a short stroke or long stroke piston to an AR-15/M16 and the result is... an M16/AR15 but with a gas piston.

Whether or not HK does a better job at engineering than Colt is another matter. I think in many areas they do. It's ze German vay, nein? Yet in other areas maybe not. They are more thorough and perhaps THE most thorough of all small arms manufacturers today. This tends to make one very stubborn and resistant to change - an area where we tend to shine a bit more.

This argument is like arguing about my favorite car manufacturer - Porsche. The GT3 is the "perfect" car FOR ME but.... as an auto engineer and race car engineer enthusiast there's no way in Hell given a clean sheet of paper I'd hang the engine behind the rear axles. And neither, apparently, would Porsche. Witness the Boxter/Caiman and Carrera GT.

Progress never stops. Get over it.

lipadj46
March 27, 2009, 10:28 AM
You know I understand blind stubborn adherence to a design, I myself think the M14 is the cat's ass, but I think if the AR guys take off the fanboy hats for second they have to see that the next long term battle rifle (if it is a gas gun) will almost certainly have a piston instead of DI that is just the way things are headed. Will it be the H&K? Probably not. I myself like the SCAR but Colt will come out with something and we will see who wins the game that is the selection process for a fatty thing like that whenever the military gets the gum-shin.

IZZY
March 27, 2009, 11:41 AM
Quote:
My Ak bullies your Honor student AK
I was at a live fire FTX, with pop up shoot back targets, my competitiors were using AKs, I was using an AR, I'm here chatting, they arnt'

Probly because:

A) you are a better shot

B) the conditions were not what we are discussing, that is insainly "adverse" (this would show up any differances)

C) The scoring method ( this is just a guess) but do all Center mass hits count the same?

D) the Ak was NEVER intended to be a target/D.M. rifle. That was left to the Druganov.

Kmar40
March 27, 2009, 11:47 AM
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Yeah, just because you have real world experience doesn't mean we should accept it if in conflict with the wisdom of internet commandos and Call of Duty Rangers.

We should also not accept the reality of the conflicts in Iraq and Astan, where the enemy essential hides and uses roadside IEDs because actually firing on our guys with their magnificient AK and AKS rifles results in rapid death for the insurgents.

Kmar40
March 27, 2009, 11:48 AM
C) The scoring method ( this is just a guess) but do all Center mass hits count the same? He's talking about combat.

Kmar40
March 27, 2009, 11:50 AM
Delta force indeed

I know..Operators......can't be a operator without an HKHK or it's High Point clone. :) Where are those mall ninjas? Or maybe it's a High Point for trainee operators and HK for the real ones. :) I forget what Gecko45 carried.

PS I carry HK at work. I'd trade it for several pistols that cost half as much in a heartbeat. Our were recalled shortly after we got them. We also have USCs. Also being phased out. No advantage over our M4s. We also purchased a ton of those HK Ar mags. They are training only now. Please don't tell me about HK being perfect.

Kmar40
March 27, 2009, 11:53 AM
4 MOA is combat acceptable for normal combat ranges, but it certainly isn't very good. I don't think it's acceptable. It's the difference between making a headshot with an AR or missing with an HK. The ability to make these headshots, along with our other technological advantages such as Night Vision, is the primary advantage we have over the enemy currently. We should give that up because some of the cooks, bakers, and candlestickmakers can't remember to clean and lube their weapon every week or so.

And frankly, we won't. Beoyotch all you want but the M16 has already served as the standard issue rifle longer than the M1 and M14 combined (approximately 30 years). It's not going anywhere until something substantially better comes along. 1% increased reliability isn't substantial. Moreover accuracy is not even a tradeoff that many of us want to make.

And, according to Brig. Gen. Brown, the Army’s looking for “leap ahead” / next-generation (a.k.a. next-gen) infantry small arms technology for a replacement weapon, not just minor, incremental improvements/capabilities like the HK 416, FN MK16 SCAR-Light, and HK XM8.

Yeah, what he said.