PDA

View Full Version : Best replacement barrel for Glocks?

45_Shooter
March 22, 2009, 07:40 PM
Anyone have a preference one way or another? I really just want to be able to shoot lead bullets out of my G17 and G21 without worrying about cleaning out the lead fouling all the time.

I'm thinking KKM, Bar-sto, Storm Lake, etc. After hearing that Lone Wolf is made in China I think I'll stay away even though their pricing is very nice.

What do you all use in your Glocks?

jgcoastie
March 22, 2009, 08:13 PM
I use EFK Firedragon National Match barrels in my G20SF (10mm) and G22 (.40S&W). Picked them up on gunbroker from a company in AZ - Southwest Weapons and Accessories. They handle both lead and jacketed rounds. My groups tightened up considerably as well. The chamber is also fully supported which eliminates the "Glock bulge" typical of cases fired from factory barrels. They're a little more expensive than other brands, but the quality is much better IMO. Also, I haven't had any feeding failures in either barrel.

Best of luck.

vox rationis
March 22, 2009, 08:26 PM
I use EFK Firedragon National Match barrels in my G20SF (10mm) and G22 (.40S&W). Picked them up on gunbroker from a company in AZ - Southwest Weapons and Accessories. They handle both lead and jacketed rounds. My groups tightened up considerably as well. The chamber is also fully supported which eliminates the "Glock bulge" typical of cases fired from factory barrels. They're a little more expensive than other brands, but the quality is much better IMO. Also, I haven't had any feeding failures in either barrel.

Best of luck.

I'm assuming that these are drop in like the others yeah?

jgcoastie
March 22, 2009, 08:48 PM
Yes they are drop-ins designed as factory replacement barrels. They're available in various lengths and styles as well (ported, etc).

ScaryWoody
March 24, 2009, 08:27 PM
I have a Storm Lake .357sig for my Glock 23, no issues fits like a glove. I don't use it for carry though.

tom234
March 24, 2009, 09:43 PM
LWD works for me.

mssurrey
March 24, 2009, 09:55 PM
I have a 9mm and a .357sig both by Lone Wolf for my g22. Bought them a couple of weeks ago.

Drop in barrels. Very accurate and seem to be finished well. No issues so far with 200 rounds down each

I did polish the feed ramps but then again I do that with ALL my barrels (no matter if they are factory or aftermarket barrels).

vox rationis
March 25, 2009, 01:20 PM
I have a 9mm and a .357sig both by Lone Wolf for my g22. Bought them a couple of weeks ago.

Drop in barrels. Very accurate and seem to be finished well. No issues so far with 200 rounds down each

I did polish the feed ramps but then again I do that with ALL my barrels (no matter if they are factory or aftermarket barrels).

What mags do you use to shoot 9mm out of your G22?

And exactly what kind of accuracy are we talking about?

Thanks

p.s. any reliability issues with these barrels with the better chamber support (in .40S&W)?

p.s.s. and how about the POI differences when you switch barrels, or do you have adjustable sights?

flight954
March 25, 2009, 01:23 PM
Jarvis

45_Shooter
March 25, 2009, 07:51 PM
It looks like most of the replacement barrels are pretty similar in terms of customer satisfaction so far. I'd like to stay away from Lone Wolf just because I don't like sending my money to China, otherwise it seems like they're a pretty good bargain.

Alleykat
March 25, 2009, 07:53 PM
You wouldn't be sending your money to China, you'd be sending it to JR and his family. I can assure you they're REAL Americans. Nothing wrong with the Lone Wolf barrels. I use one in my G20, and it's great. I don't suppose any of your money went to China relative to the computer that you used for visiting this forum?? ;)

45_Shooter
March 25, 2009, 08:33 PM
I don't suppose any of your money went to China relative to the computer that you used for visiting this forum??

In that case you are correct. However, when there is a choice to choose between a company that outsources for cost reduction, and a company that manufactures in a Western country in order to provide a higher quality product to their consumers, I will support the company that does not outsource if I am at all able to do so.

The companies that do not outsource often accept less profit margin and less sales volume in order to produce that higher quality product, and I wish to encourage those companies to continue this practice.

I have nothing against Lone Wolf products at all, in fact they seem to be a good bargain. But my intent with the thread was to compare the barrels manufactured in Western countries since that is what I am interested in buying.

Alleykat
March 26, 2009, 08:37 AM
No doubt, a fitted Bar-Sto barrel would be superior, at least accuracy-wise, to a Lone Wolf barrel. I don't know where Lone Wolf barrels are made. If they're made in China, that's fine with me.

oldcspsarge
March 26, 2009, 07:46 PM
Lone Wolf Barrels are NOT made in China. They are made in the USA.

I wonder what motivates someone to post such a slanderous statement.

Lone Wolf has long been a quality supplier of Glock parts and accessories.

Are there other barrels to choose from..yes. At least Lone Wolf barrels are properly chambered and heat treated barrel to SAMMI specs....which GLOCK made barrels are NOT.

IF you are going to shoot lead or reloads...Lone Wolf barrels are a good choice, especially for the $$$ .

WESHOOT2
March 28, 2009, 10:51 AM
(Mine, a M20, had a Jarvis barrel fitted by Mr. Jarvis.)

KKM

45_Shooter
March 28, 2009, 01:43 PM
Lone Wolf Barrels are NOT made in China. They are made in the USA.

I wonder what motivates someone to post such a slanderous statement

OK, I had a local gun shop tell me Lone Wolf barrels were made in China (which is believeable although not necessarily true due to their low price point), and there looks like some internet buzz to that effect with not alot of evidence to the contrary.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? If the Lone Wolf barrels are in fact made in the US I probably will buy one just for running lead at the range.

Alleykat
March 28, 2009, 03:21 PM
Are there other barrels to choose from..yes. At least Lone Wolf barrels are properly chambered and heat treated barrel to SAMMI specs....which GLOCK made barrels are NOT.

That's a truly absurd statement. Only somebody totally ignorant about firearms could make such a ridiculous statement.

Brian Pfleuger
March 28, 2009, 03:23 PM
I have two Lone Wolf barrels in 357sig. They have better chamber support than I have seen on the stock 40cal but somewhat less than the stock 357. They are both accurate and seem very well made.

Creature
March 28, 2009, 03:35 PM
I was also told that Lone Wolf barrels are imported from China, not the US. Where exactly in the US are they manufactured?

Superhouse 15
March 28, 2009, 03:44 PM
bought a KKM "drop in" Glock barrel for a customer in .45ACP. The chamber was so short a .45 GAP wouldn't even fit in it. I'd use a Lone Wolf, nice people with great service.

Alleykat
March 29, 2009, 07:45 PM
Well, after all the verbiage I spouted about my lack of concern about buying from China, I e-mailed JR, owner of Lonewolf and apprised him of this thread. JR says that his barrels are not made in China. He was pretty urinated that anybody'd spread such "crap"(quoting JR) on forums like this.

Feel free to buy Lonewolf's barrels. They're not made in China. :cool:

Creature
March 29, 2009, 08:02 PM
So where in the US are they made?

curt.45
March 29, 2009, 08:36 PM
are the .45 replacement barrels better supported than the factory barrels?

GuateShooter
March 29, 2009, 09:45 PM
KKM its a fine piece

Alleykat
March 30, 2009, 10:56 AM
So where in the US are they made?

Where in China are they made? :rolleyes:

Creature
March 30, 2009, 10:59 AM
posted by Alleykat: Where in China are they made? :rolleyes:

okay, call me slow...but did you not just get through telling us in post #21 that the owner of Lonewolf said that his barrels are made in the US?

Mark B
March 30, 2009, 11:26 AM
I don't claim LWD is the best but here are a couple 10 shot groups from my G30 with a Lone Wolf bbl. The dots are from tracing a quarter. These were shot offhand slow fire. I'm not the best shot but I'm pretty happy with this barrel. http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa302/Mac_Bast/IMAGE_006-1.jpg

Chuckusaret
March 30, 2009, 11:42 AM
With a business name like Lone Wolf Distributors Inc. and not Lone Wolf Manufacturing would tend to make me believe the parts are made else where. I just tried to contact them to no avail.

Alleykat
March 30, 2009, 12:06 PM
okay, call me slow...but did you not just get through telling us in post #21 that the owner of Lonewolf said that his barrels are made in the US?

Don't know how "slow" you are, but have some concerns about your reading ability. ;) How about pointing out the post where I said that the barrels were made in the U.S.?? I don't know where they're made. The OP's concern was that they were made in China. They're not. I like my Lonewolf barrels and don't care where they're made.

Creature
March 30, 2009, 12:14 PM
This is what I read:

Well, after all the verbiage I spouted about my lack of concern about buying from China, I e-mailed JR, owner of Lonewolf and apprised him of this thread. JR says that his barrels are not made in China. He was pretty urinated that anybody'd spread such "crap"(quoting JR) on forums like this.

Seems to me from your post that JR is claiming that his barrels are not made in china...which is why I am asking where they are made. If you spent the time to email him, why wouldn't you ask where in fact they are made?

Alleykat
March 30, 2009, 02:43 PM
If you spent the time to email him, why wouldn't you ask where in fact they are made?

As previously stated, the issue is moot to me, as I'm perfectly satisfied with MY LWD barrel, regardless of where it was made. Why not e-mail him yourself? The ONLY original question was whether they were made in China.

Creature
March 30, 2009, 05:35 PM
And the now that you have totally confused the issue, the answer to that is...what exactly?

45_Shooter
March 30, 2009, 09:18 PM
This whole thing is just as clear as mud now!

If the owner of LWD is irritated that the place of manufacture of his products are being wrongfully identified as China, then I would encourage him to clearly indicate somewhere (like his company website or even this thread) where his barrels are made.

It appears that I'm not the only one who is possibly mistaken in this matter, so for the record it might prove beneficial in attracting customers like myself to whom the place of manufacture does affect potential purchases.

Alleykat
March 31, 2009, 09:27 AM
Why not just e-mail JR? I've already done that, and it was established that the info previously provided in this thread that the barrels were made in China was not correct.

How "confusing" could that be? The "issue" WAS (have to repeat for some guys!) whether the barrels were made in China. According to JR, they're not. Still confused? ;)

jgcoastie
March 31, 2009, 09:55 AM
Just get an EFK National Match.

Here's a few pics of my recent range outing...

All groups fired from 15yards, standing, strong hand, supported, aimed slow fire. (No rest of any type was used.)

Gun:
Glock 20SF - 10mm
EFK National Match Barrel

Load Data:
155gr RNL
9.4gr Power Pistol
Federal Large Pistol Primer
New Starline Brass

4-Shot Group
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44829&d=1238479628

5-Shot Group (Hole at top left was 3rd shot, shooter error. I got jumpy on that one.)
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44830&d=1238479628

Alleykat
March 31, 2009, 12:25 PM
Per Ayoob, you get to "throw out" that flyer!! ;)

jgcoastie
March 31, 2009, 02:04 PM
Per Ayoob, you get to "throw out" that flyer!!

I wish I could, but for the sake of honesty I included the 5 shot group as well... Still respectable, but not as good...

But I do like the .67" 4 -shot group a lot better...;)

45_Shooter
March 31, 2009, 02:10 PM
Why not just e-mail JR? I've already done that, and it was established that the info previously provided in this thread that the barrels were made in China was not correct.

Post or PM me with his E-mail address and I'll post my message and his response in this thread.

Mark B
March 31, 2009, 03:03 PM
4-shot groups? pffft empty that magazine son! :D
nice shootin by the way!

voyager4520
April 1, 2009, 07:41 AM
Quote:"After hearing that Lone Wolf is made in China..."

Thank you for saying that. I knew they were too good to be true. I'll start looking into Storm Lake now.

Edit: Even if they're not made in China, I'm not buying their barrels now until I find out exactly where they're made. I'll still get my guide rod and magazine springs from them though. These stock Glock guide rods suck.

Alleykat
April 1, 2009, 11:22 AM
[email protected] Sherlock Holmes would have just checked out Lonewolf's website for the contact info! ;)

mssurrey
April 1, 2009, 11:28 AM
I have both a 9mm and a 357sig barrel from Lone Wolf for my G22 and to date, I've had absolutely no issues.

In fact the sig barrel is a ported barrel that's an inch or so longer than the standard length and I just love it.

Both are drop in barrels.

Don't forget; I also had to buy a couple of 9mm mags for the 9mm barrel. The 357sig can use the standard G22 .40 mags.

JBJ16
April 1, 2009, 02:03 PM
"Lone Wolf Barrels are NOT made in China. They are made in the USA.

I wonder what motivates someone to post such a slanderous statement."

If someone said Lone Wolf barrels were made in Switzerland, would you still say it is a slanderous statement?

Aah prejudice!:eek:

45_Shooter
April 1, 2009, 02:32 PM
[email protected] Sherlock Holmes would have just checked out Lonewolf's website for the contact info!

It sounded like you had a direct E-mail address for JR (the owner of Lone Wolf?), not just the standard contact info posted on the website, that's why I asked.

The following was sent via E-mail to [email protected] today:

To who it may concern,

I was hoping to obtain the location of manufacture of Lone Wolf Distributing's Glock replacement barrels. There is some debate on an online firearms forum pertaining to this subject, and since certain people such as myself do weigh the place of manufacture into a potential purchase this information would be valuable to myself and others.

Your response will be posted on the following thread: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346804&page=2 in order to clear up any erroneous information previously posted regarding this matter.

Thank you for your response,

45_Shooter
April 1, 2009, 03:40 PM
This is the response from Lone Wolf Distributing that I received today:

(My Name),

I am sorry to disappoint you but we do not release this information. It has no bering on the materials, performance or quality of the barrel. I can tell you that Lone Wolf barrels carry a written Lifetime warranty: Lone Wolf Distributors will replace any of our barrels or barrel accessories which are found to have manufacturing or material defects.

We produce more Glock barrels each year than all the other aftermarket manufactures combined.

JR

Thank you for your business
Lone Wolf Distributors Inc. <http://www.lonewolfdist.com/>
Worlds largest selection of Glock accessories
208-437-0612 Office
888-279-2077 Fax

If you haven't already I would like to encourage you to return to the Lone Wolf Distributors Web Site and sign up at the Registration Page. We have formed this list to notify our valued customers of special inside deals, limited time offers and close out information regarding Glock items we carry. You will realize significant savings should you choose to take advantage of these specials.

Stevie-Ray
April 1, 2009, 05:13 PM
If someone said Lone Wolf barrels were made in Switzerland, would you still say it is a slanderous statement?Certainly not. Why, that would make those guns run like a swiss watch.:D

Creature
April 1, 2009, 05:19 PM
I am sure that like any company not trying to hide something, Lonewolf would proudly say that their barrels are made in the USA...but they arent, so they wont.

Mark B
April 1, 2009, 09:10 PM
Interesting reply from LWD
I am very satisfied with my Lone Wolf barrel. I'm not satisfied with the reply 45_shooter recieved. I read it as, "we ain't gonna tell ya where they're made son, but sign up on our website so's we kin sell ya more stuff!"
I'll take this reply into consideration when purchasing replacement barrels in the future.

vox rationis
April 1, 2009, 09:11 PM
Anybody have any POI difference issues when you put in the aftermarket barrel?

45_Shooter
April 1, 2009, 10:30 PM
Interesting reply from LWD
I am very satisfied with my Lone Wolf barrel. I'm not satisfied with the reply 45_shooter recieved. I read it as, "we ain't gonna tell ya where they're made son, but sign up on our website so's we kin sell ya more stuff!"

Thats pretty much what I took out of it as well. If they have an interest in concealing where they manufacture their product then I'm really not interested in purchasing that product since I don't know where that money is going.

Now that we're back to where the thread started, anybody have a recommendation between Storm Lake, KKM, Bar-Sto, etc?

I've actually been running a few hundred rounds of 230 gr. hard cast lead ball through the stock barrel in my G21 and it seems to lead very little and run fine with a hard alloy bullet driven at modest velocity. Maybe just by adjusting my load and cleaning it regularly I'll be able to completely forego buying a cut rifled barrel just to run lead for target games.

Glockeroo
April 2, 2009, 02:04 AM
Storm Lake Barrels are awesome!

chroode
October 5, 2009, 01:42 AM
http://www.efkfiredragon.com/

All of our products are proudly made and manufactured in the USA. :D

AZAK
October 5, 2009, 02:03 AM
Since this thread was resurrected:
I wonder what motivates someone to post such a slanderous statement.

Technically since what is being referenced here is a printed statement, it would be libel not slander.

And in direct response to the OP: I have never replaced a barrel yet. I reload, but not with lead for my Glock 29. (My only Glock that I have kept; and really the only candidate for a barrel replacement, if any.) I personally like jacketed bullets; cost more for practice, but oh well. At least I am still shooting my 10mm handguns by reloading, while I have not seen any ammo for them for many moons in any stores.

45_Shooter
October 6, 2009, 06:13 PM
And in direct response to the OP: I have never replaced a barrel yet. I reload, but not with lead for my Glock 29. (My only Glock that I have kept; and really the only candidate for a barrel replacement, if any.)

This thread is kinda old now; the whole summer I've been reloading for my 9mm and .45 Glocks using cast lead bullets, experiencing no side effects other than the G21 not liking my LSWC's.

I passed on the Lone Wolf barrel for reasons previously stated in the thread, and never found the free money to buy one of the more expensive ones. Instead, I'm actually now quite happy with running my lead reloads through my pistols; they actually seem to lead less than my 1911 barrels do with the same load and prove accurate. The Glocks do seem to like the loads on the hotter side though.

As far as the "slanderous statement" goes, I think the owner of Lone Wolf refusing to admit where even the general area of manufacture of his product is reinforces my original belief. I have heard generally good things about their product though in their defense.

Dave T
October 6, 2009, 06:33 PM
Over on GlockTalk it has been reported a couple times that Lone Wolf barrels are made in Korea. The after market slides they sell are too. That's sure not China...but then it ain't in the USA either.

Dave

LanceOregon
October 6, 2009, 07:03 PM
Dudes, Lone Wolf does not make ANYTHING!!

They are NOT a manufacturer. They are a distributor, that's all. They don't operate or own any factory. Their corporate name is:

Lone Wolf Distributors

Their barrels could be made in China, Mexico, Albania, Nevada, anywhere!!

I would much rather buy a barrel from a company that actually makes the product that they are selling to me.

Bar-Sto is one of the oldest and most trusted handgun barrel makers that there is. And Storm Lake Barrels has been gaining a good reputation in recent years too.

I would trust both of them, as I know that they make their own products.

Lone Wolf barrels could be made anywhere.

--