PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Power shooting

jmf
March 19, 2009, 08:40 PM
I want put a berm on my lot as a backstop 30-06 and 7.62 NATO rounds. Can I just let the truck dump the dirt and use it like that, or is there more to it?

kraigwy
March 19, 2009, 08:55 PM
A dirt berm would be find if its thick enough. Mixing straw with the dirt will help it from being washed away until your planted grass takes hold. Alfafa would be better becouse its longer root system. This is just for the back stop.

If you are building pits like in a real HP range, the you're gonna have to board up the back (pit side). Cross tys work, but they have to be interlaced and re-inforced.

dahermit
March 19, 2009, 09:21 PM
I have found that dirt will be kicked out of the berm where the rounds enter. I have found that stacking a pile of loose old tires over the place where the rounds hit (just behind my target frame), keeps the dirt from departing the berm on impact. The bullet pass though the tires, the flying dirt kicks back against the tires and bounces back on the berm...but you have to have enough tires to cover the impact place.

jpoolsmyd2
March 19, 2009, 10:23 PM
I'm pretty sure the NRA has some publications on building a berm. I saw it on this site a few weeks ago (or maybe it was highroad), but I'm too lazy to look for it. Check on the NRA site?

Hope this helps

Swampghost
March 19, 2009, 10:30 PM
All of the ranges that I go to are dirt berms. Sorry, no specifics. Dirt or sand less than 2 ft. thick can stop a lot. Ask any veteran.