PDA

View Full Version : Newbe here: 1858 .44 New Army

dlw
March 18, 2009, 08:52 PM
Bought a 1858 .44 New Army (Pietta) today. Been lurking for some time.
Finally made the plunge. Made a wish list at Cabelas. Now I need to figure out how to pay for it all. If anyone knows of a website that has good deals on stuff I'd like to hear about them.

One thing I've noticed in watching vids of black powder pistol shooting on YouTube is the loading lever falls down sometimes when firing. After studying mine for a bit I'm wondering if there is a stouter spring to fit in the lever behind the piece that locks it in place. Anyone have any ideas.

TIA
dlw

drftrman
March 18, 2009, 10:31 PM
On a Remington New Model Army the loading lever has a catch that will prevent the lever from falling. The Walker pistols are the only ones that are notorious for falling levers.

kirpi97
March 18, 2009, 11:51 PM
I shoot two Pietta 1858s and I have never experienced a lever problem. I will have to agree that maybe on You Tube you are watching someone fire a Walker.

When you get your piece, come back with what you have and what you need. There are so many different sites that it would be hard to direct you. A couple of sites for parts and equipment are:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com
http://www.kitterytradingpost.com

But we need a little info in order to better direct you. But the Remmy is a good first choice. Though I own and shoot the 1858, my heart lies with the 1851 Colt Navy or the 1862 Colt Navy. I just like the feel of a Colt. But the Remington is easier to swap out cylinders and with my son, it is his favorite.

Welcome to the world of smoke and balls.

Doc Hoy
March 19, 2009, 05:53 AM
I also shoot one brass frame and one steel frame 1858 and they are fine.

I will agree with drftrman but would add that I have an 1851 Navy with the same problem. I must hasten to also say that the problem is not design but a worn (or perhaps badly manufactured part.) I have never had a new 1851 with the problem. I bought this one used.

Bottom line is that I agree with drftrman.

Tnx,

Barry

dlw
March 19, 2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks all for replying.

All I have thus far is the weapon and a lot of questions... searching the net for answers.

Well, I do have 6, .44 Magnum rounds but can not figure out how to load them in the gun. LOL :)

dlw

mykeal
March 19, 2009, 09:27 AM
Well, I do have 6, .44 Magnum rounds but can not figure out how to load them in the gun.

:eek:That's a good thing.

Raider2000
March 19, 2009, 10:34 AM
Well, I do have 6, .44 Magnum rounds but can not figure out how to load them in the gun. LOL

That's a good thing.

I agree, Thank God you can't.

kirpi97
March 19, 2009, 04:55 PM
Maybe you could separate the lead and the brass. Toss the brass and the powder. Take the lead and put it in a pot. Get your ball casts ready and pour your own .454 balls from the lead of the six magnum rounds.

Not sure we are up to receiving your next transmission from your bed in the hospital. Some things are better left untried.:D

williamfeldmann
March 19, 2009, 05:41 PM
Well if you take the nipples out and start the rounds into the chambers from the back, and then use, figure a 2 lb ball peen or framing hammer and just give each round a wack they should either get in the cylinder or they just ain't gonna fit.

DO NOT TRY THAT!!!

I like my remington, you will too.

ClemBert
March 19, 2009, 05:46 PM
You convinced me to join the club. Today I ordered a Uberti Cimaron 1858 Remington Army. I missed the $189.99 deal that Cabelas had a few weeks ago on the Pietta Remington. My buddy got that one so I decided to be different and get a Uberti. Oddly, the Cimarron was cheaper than a Taylor's import. But, whatever...I'm convinced there is no difference other than the importation mark. And when it comes in I bet my buddy's Pietta is just as good as a Uberti. :p

grymster2007
March 19, 2009, 07:51 PM
My '58 Remmy's loading lever flopped down on nearly every shot until I examined it with the OptiVisor on and saw that the spring loaded pawl was not engaging the catch much. I little judicious use of a file and it works well now. :)

dlw
March 19, 2009, 08:53 PM
grymster2007;
That's what I see happening with mine even though I haven't fired it yet.
The depth the lever extends into the notch is almost nothing.
I can see where a good hard jar might dislodge it.
But... I'll have to wait and see and I do have a good, small three sided file.

As far as the .44 Magnum rounds fitting... could I put them in from the front?
LOL!!!

dlw

grymster2007
March 19, 2009, 10:02 PM
I do have a good, small three sided file.In the absence of a milling machine, the perfect tool! Exactly what I used... and I do have a milling machine. :)

madcratebuilder
March 20, 2009, 10:23 AM
In the absence of a milling machine, the perfect tool! Exactly what I used... and I do have a milling machine.

A lot less setup too. A dovetail cutter would make short work of it.

grymster2007
March 20, 2009, 10:37 AM
A lot less setup too. A dovetail cutter would make short work of it. Yeah... the thought of pulling the lever off and setting up the machine convinced me that I could be really careful with the file. :) A little at a time, keeping the file perpendicular to the long axis of the lever and it came out pretty nice.

Don P
March 20, 2009, 06:22 PM
dlw, I too have a 1858 reproduction. I hope you know you DID purchase a black powder revolver. If you want to shoot metalic cartridges you will have to purchase a conversion cylinder made for that purpose and the cylinder will cost more than the gun itself, but like you stated you can put them in from the front