PDA

View Full Version : Sightron SIII

bryceh12321
March 17, 2009, 07:17 AM
Anyone have any experience with this scope?

Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LRMD

http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6&id=4

bryceh12321
March 17, 2009, 08:50 AM
The only bad thing I've heard is that the reticle is too large for shooting at greater distances.

lipadj46
March 17, 2009, 11:30 AM
It is an awesome scope. 100 inches of adjustment at 100 yards (in other words 100 moa). They do make models with more adjustment. It is a FFP scope that is the reticle zooms as you zoom the scope. This is so you can use the mildots for range finding at all powers. Some people love them some don't because the reticle will get thicker as you zoom. Most military sniper scopes are FFP design. All in all it is a great scope and you will not find a better scope for the money. I like the 3.5-10x44 SIII 30mm model better but if you need more magnification the 6-24x is the way to go.

The only bad thing I've heard is that the reticle is too large for shooting at greater distances.

may be a consideration but has nothing to with the quality of the scope that is just the way the FFP design is.

Jimro
March 17, 2009, 02:29 PM
Most military sniper scopes are FFP design.

Not in the US Army they ain't.

Jimro

bryceh12321
March 17, 2009, 05:36 PM
As far as the FFP goes, I read in the manual that its a Second Focal Plane Reticle, and only works on the 24x magnification. This was for the 6-24 LR mil dot, so maybe the other models are different.

Jimro
March 17, 2009, 06:24 PM
If it works at 24x it also works at 12x, just double the range estimation.

Jimro

bryceh12321
March 17, 2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah i know, but what im saying is that its not First focal plane.

lipadj46
March 17, 2009, 10:06 PM
Not in the US Army they ain't.

Maybe things have changes with the DMR and urban combat and the need for a FFP but the army definitely has many FFP Leupold ER/T and LR/T scopes. The Marine Corp Schmidt & Bender sniper scope is a FFP scope design. US Optics, Schmidt & Bender, Hensoldt (Zeiss military) all use FFP designs because they are more repeatable and your scale does not change with magnification which is important for long range shooting and using the mildots as holdovers and whatnot. FFP are generally considered for the realm of the sniper and I'm not sure why an army sniper would not be using a FFP scope for long range work.

Yeah i know, but what im saying is that its not First focal plane

Yes you correct for I was thinking of an IOR model at the time for whatever reason.

Jimro
March 17, 2009, 10:50 PM
The Leupold Mk4 for the M24 is a fixed 10x

The Mk4 4.5-14x50 used on the M107 is SFP.

I haven't had the pleasure of shooting the m110. But since Leupold didn't start offering First Focal Plane scopes until 2007 I'm confident that the fielding of the m110 predates that it was spec'd with a second focal plane 3.5-10 variable.

SOCOM units have procurement abilities outside of the regular Army, so I can't comment on what they may or may not be using, except that the fixed 16x Mk4 has been used on the 300 Win Mag upgraded m24's with excellent results. I think there were some Nightforce FFP's contracted, but I don't know anything about how they were acquired.

Jimro