PDA

View Full Version : how many "layers" of defense?

troy_mclure
March 14, 2009, 07:14 PM
how many layers of defense do you have at home? IE: fence, dog(s), alarm, primary hd gun, secondary hd gun, dead bolts, iron bars, flood lights, ready phone, etc...

right now ive only got a deadbolt door, double paned windows, some hd guns, and a phone.
so thats 5.
since its not my house i cant add alarms and stuff.

how much would a robber/intruder have to go thru to get to your stuff/family?

David Armstrong
March 14, 2009, 07:26 PM
I have a really mean cat, does that count as a layer?:confused:

Creature
March 14, 2009, 07:47 PM
Are strong words of warning a layer?

pax
March 14, 2009, 07:50 PM
Seven, or thereabouts. http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/pyramid.html

pax

David Armstrong
March 14, 2009, 07:51 PM
Are strong words of warning a layer?
I don't think they would be a layer, more like a tactic.

David Armstrong
March 14, 2009, 07:58 PM
Seven, or thereabouts. http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/pyramid.html

Hmm. Number 6 seems interesting:
"Verbal boundary enforcement is communication. It is letting a would-be assailant know that you are aware of what is occurring and that you are committed to doing whatever it takes to protect yourself."
As I said, I would think that to be more of a tactic than a defensive layer. Going to have to think about it a bit, I guess.

Keltyke
March 14, 2009, 08:31 PM
Some of you guys are asking a lot of questions about my home defense that no one really needs to know. Think about what you're asking us to post to the world.

bigghoss
March 14, 2009, 08:33 PM
Some of you guys are asking a lot of questions about my home defense that no one really needs to know. Think about what you're asking us to post to the world.

valid point. OPSEC should be #1

lets just say if someone tries to get in while I'm home that would be a mistake for them. if they get in while I'm gone they better be gone before I get back.

Creature
March 15, 2009, 07:55 AM

This is an anonymous forum. We dont know who you are.

I don't think they would be a layer, more like a tactic.

Tactic -noun: a plan, procedure, or expedient for promoting a desired end or result.

All of those layers are, in essence, tactics.

djohn
March 15, 2009, 08:27 AM
We have a 8 LB Chihauhau that has the balls of a 125LB Rotti does that count as a layer.

David Armstrong
March 15, 2009, 11:33 AM
:eek: Doesn't that make him walk funny?:D

justinicus
March 15, 2009, 02:35 PM
I have a really mean cat, does that count as a layer?

Only if the BG steps on said cat. Otherwise, the cat will only be amused to watch you be victimized :P

troy_mclure
March 15, 2009, 05:38 PM
because i know exactly where Keltyke of spartansville, nc. lives!

jesus5150
March 15, 2009, 05:44 PM
Keltyke

Nobody knows who you are or where you live. Don't worry about it.

I have 3 dogs, motion lights, and a long slippery driveway. If they get past that, I have a Blue and Gold Macaw that doesn't like to be woken up, and my benelli nova. So realistically about 3 or 4. The crap part is that I live near a dark highway so i've had to deal with breakdowns alot... My answer is always, go wait by your car, i'll call a state trooper and he'll help you out. works everytime, the people who are really broken down appreciate the help and the shady dudes realise it's not worth it. (My USP is usually in my hand during this though... Maybe that has a bit to do with it?????)

rantingredneck
March 15, 2009, 05:49 PM
I just went over a lot of this stuff in a thread I posted yesterday here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344971

Exterior lighting (a lot and planning to add more now)
Double pane windows with reinforcing bars criss crossing them between the panes.
Deadbolts and night latches (up high) on the doors.
Added these (http://www.google.com/products?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS266US266&q=Masterlock+265DCCSEN&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=sXO8SZ-gENbgtgfBnsT4Cw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title) last night based on recommendations from some forum members in that thread.
Monitored Alarm system with panic buttons if needed.
No dog at present.

Primary handgun varies based on what I am carrying when at home. Right now on my hip as I'm typing this is a Ruger SP101. Have a reload for it in my pocket (speedstrip). At night a Ruger P345 with Streamlight TLR-1 stays on a high shelf beside my bed. An 870 (one of three) stays loaded, chamber empty by the safe when I'm at home. When I'm not at home and the wife is it's a Mossberg 500 (she prefers those controls). Within 10-20 seconds I could lay my hands on a fair amount of firepower in various handguns/shotguns/rifles in the safe if needed.

Also, though I'm presently at home and armed, the doors are locked and the perimeter sensors for the alarm are armed (motions aren't of course).

hogdogs
March 15, 2009, 06:16 PM
Yard full of hunting dogs on chains that bark... house sits in the center of 5 acres. 3 indoor dogs, only one of which is a serious threat but only mildly serious... Armed folks at both end of the home. Junior isn't to draw unless called to service. Primary weapon is a 20 gauge shot gun... 2nd, third and fourth down the line needn't be mentioned...
Brent

Keltyke
March 15, 2009, 06:58 PM
because i know exactly where Keltyke of spartansville, nc. lives!

That's why I have people watching you. :p

FM12
March 15, 2009, 07:00 PM
Just a thought from the life safety aspect (from the INSIDE) of your home: be sure you're able to get OUT in the event of fire or other emergency. Deadbolt locks and window security bars, et al, can be tough to manipulate sometimes, especially in the confusion of a housefire.

Be safe, and replace your smoke-alarm batteries twice a year.

FM(Fire Marshal)12

rantingredneck
March 15, 2009, 07:02 PM
Indeed ^.

Which is why when I had my alarm system installed i paid a little extra to have a hardwired and MONITORED smoke detector installed over and above the other smoke and CO detectors we already had.

Thanks for the reminder FM12. Other people aren't the only threats to health and safety after all.

djohn
March 15, 2009, 08:04 PM
IMO I think the dogs are the best deterent for first line of defense to ward off any intruder in the first place but pets are not practical for everyone.However as I said I have a little guy a chiuhua thats not the typical Yaper he barks when he hears something outside whch is a good thing even if its a rodent or cat roaming around outside I praise him and reward him for the warnings.IF he was the yapie type that barks just to bark then hey would be just a annoyance and wouldn't think twice of what the dog is barking at.

djohn
March 15, 2009, 08:14 PM
@ Rantingredneck,IMO you did great with your Home with security setup and can't get much better then that and ment to say so with your other thread I responded to.Nicely Done

ElectricHellfire
March 15, 2009, 08:25 PM
I have a ill-tempered Chupacabra. Does that count?

rantingredneck
March 15, 2009, 09:11 PM
@ Rantingredneck,IMO you did great with your Home with security setup and can't get much better then that and ment to say so with your other thread I responded to.Nicely Done

Thank you, but I still consider it a work in progress. ;)

kgpcr
March 15, 2009, 09:27 PM
door locks, Dog and a 12ga. thats all i need

SquidWarrior
March 15, 2009, 11:23 PM
Thank you for the excelent link. Even though this kind of stuff comes natural, its nice to have it spelled out and articulated to the person using it. Very good, thanks again.

onthejon55
March 16, 2009, 11:31 AM

If i can punt it out of the way I wouldnt consider it a layer of defense:D

I have a deadbolt, noisey sqeaky old floors, various HD guns and a cell phone.
4 layers

i dont consider my dogs a defense because they are raterriers and one of them is deaf.

Father Time
March 17, 2009, 11:20 PM
My only layer of Defence is the will to survive anything else (locked doors, firearms, safe habits,) are just tools to aid me.;)

jbrown50
March 18, 2009, 08:13 AM
Quote:
I have a really mean cat, does that count as a layer?...

If i can punt it out of the way I wouldnt consider it a layer of defense

My two cats, Ju Ju and Cuddles, aren't mean at all.

http://www.freefoto.com/images/01/28/01_28_1---Lions_web.jpg

My first layer of defense is a bottle of BBQ sauce over the front door. If you come through another way THEN they'll get mean.

scorpion_tyr
March 18, 2009, 05:01 PM
Not all layers are shown here, but some are. This is how my night stand is set up every night. I sleep pretty good at night knowing I have plenty of options to grab depending on the situation.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44168&stc=1&d=1237413103

1. Cell phone to call 911
2. FNP-40 with Trijicon night sights and laser pointer
3. Scorpion tactical flashlight to illuminate/blind BG
4. Knife
5. Remington 870 Express Super Magnum with 3-dot fiber optic sights, 7 rounds of #1 BK in the tube, 5 1oz HP Slugs on the stock.
6. Holy Bible in case of zombies, vampires, werefish, etc.
7. Guard Dog in the making.

matt nasty
March 18, 2009, 06:47 PM
1-Dead bolt on front and rear doors

2-locked windows

3-Dog (more noise than anything lol)

4-Taurus PT111 pro (loaded with 124gr hydra shok)

5-Remington 1100 (00 buck shot)

6-old ka-bar fighting knife

hopefully never have to use these in a real life situation but i have them if needed.....

jgcoastie
March 19, 2009, 02:56 AM
1. Gate Guard (live on a military base)
2. Live across the street from MILPOL
3. Doors and windows are always locked
4. Golden Retriever will lick them to death
5. Very light sleeper (three years of waking up to SAR alarms, general alarms, chemical alarms, collision alarms, and toxic gas alarms will do that to ya)
6. G22 coupled with Browning 210 lumen LED on the nightstand
7. Wife calls the cops and then grabs the S&W 642CT and maglite
8. Downstairs neighbor (who I trust like a brother) will come investigate any/all disturbances armed with his P229DAK and Surefire (I'm a Coastie on a cutter, we have an arrangement in case I'm underway)
9. Did I mention that MILPOL is across the street???

I think I'm set. :p

Ub3rn00ber
March 19, 2009, 10:14 PM
1 - Alarm with wireless panic button rigged on my shotgun
2 - 3 dogs
3 - High end deadbolts
4 - Double paned windows
5 - Security latch strike plates with 1/8 steel strip behind door frame
6 - And of course 2 guns next to the bed

Am about to get 3 motion detected flood lights for the front back and side but that will be a week or 2. So that will make 7.

Anyone have any ideas on what else i can get?

Nnobby45
March 19, 2009, 10:22 PM
Not all layers are shown here, but some are. This is how my night stand is set up every night. I sleep pretty good at night knowing I have plenty of options to grab depending on the situation.

LOL, hey, if a burglar came around when you weren't at home, I bet that dog would wag his tail and show them were the silverware was.:D Cute little guy.

Ian0351
March 20, 2009, 12:14 AM
1. Preparedness- I tend to expect the worst from people, and have trained to react accordingly.
2. Awareness- I am a light sleeper and have a dog who loves to let me know when anything happens outside.
3. Sticktoitivness- I will not quit my home or my property to an infiltrator, and will do everything in my power to secure the safety of myself and my loved ones.

FWIW: regardless of anonymity, I am fine with people knowing that I am prepared and ready to defend myself.

Mr Odd Six
March 20, 2009, 02:38 AM
I had an officer tell me the sign on my garage door would get me in trouble.

It siad, trespassers will be shot, surivors will be shot again.

So I replaced with a sign that says:

"Welcome to my palor said the spider to the fly"

scorpion_tyr
March 20, 2009, 11:52 AM
LOL, hey, if a burglar came around when you weren't at home, I bet that dog would wag his tail and show them were the silverware was. Cute little guy.

He would at least show them where his toys are so they could play... but we're working on that. If he gets as big as his dad he'll at least be one heck of a deterant.

Evan Thomas
March 20, 2009, 02:27 PM
I have a ill-tempered Chupacabra. Does that count?

:eek: :eek: You mean there are good-tempered ones?

To me "layers" are piled on top of each other, like a cake, y'know?

So:
1. Being on good terms with the neighbors.
2. Lighted exterior with no foundation plantings.
3. Steel doors, double-paned windows, good locks (if I had bars on windows, that would be the same layer...).
4. Alarm system and dog.
5. My plan for what to do if someone tries to get in, and any hardware associated with that plan.
6. Ditto, if someone succeeds.

In thinking about this, I'd rather collapse things into the same layer than split them for the sake of racking up the numbers... The door doesn't count as a separate layer if someone's coming in through the window.

Dragon55
March 20, 2009, 02:32 PM
Heck everybody around here is armed.

America's1stFreedom
March 20, 2009, 04:00 PM
If he gets as big as his dad he'll at least be one heck of a deterant.

Love the pic of the pooch!!! Priceless!

Looks like he's one of those rare shepherds that was crossed with a...

...Clydesdale!

When he grows into those paws, he's gonna be a 145# meat eater that loves his family!

"Woah, how big is your dog?"

"Cross between a 10 gauge and .50 BMG!" lol. "He poops Brenneke Black Magics!"

Scubasimmons
March 20, 2009, 05:25 PM
It is a little known fact the when the chupacabra gets a taste of human blood they become quite ill-tempered. Always approach the chupacabra from down wind because if the chupacabra knows you are there your life will be ended in a fury of pain. The chupacabra is probably the most dangerous thing (can you really call it an animal?) on the planet.

WVfishguy
March 20, 2009, 05:42 PM

I know I'm going to be called a liar, but I'll write this anyway:

I had a 30 pound cat. Honest-to-God - 30 lbs.

Freaked the vet out. When she saw him, she practically screamed, "Oh my God, he's not even that fat - he's just huge!"

And it was MEAN. I had a neighbor come in to feed the pets while we were on vacation, the monster cat would not let him up the basement stairs. Being former military, he got past the thing - eventually.

I miss that cat. :(

Willie Lowman
March 20, 2009, 06:11 PM
Doors, windows, those are ways in. Locks only keep honest men honest. A good dead bolt means that your door may require more than one kick.

That bit of negativity out of my system... Here is some more. Most of us have some kind of home-howitzer. A shotgun or a rifle kept for when those 15 JHPs in the side-arm just aren't gonna cut it. Guys remember to put those long arms in the safe when you go out. If someone breaks in while you are out and the gun is in the open, then Christmas came early for some scumbag. Badguy got a new gun and you loaded it for him.

jlj676
March 24, 2009, 05:24 PM
I just have a helicoptor hover over my house with a spot light on it ;) But if they get passed that I have a monitered security system with panic buttons flood lights deadbolts steal doors sd guns double paned windows and two angry jack russells and my wife has a baseball bat:D

pistolpackin29
March 25, 2009, 01:39 PM
How funny!

pistolpackin29
March 25, 2009, 01:44 PM
I just have a helicoptor hover over my house with a spot light on it But if they get passed that I have a monitered security system with panic buttons flood lights deadbolts steal doors sd guns double paned windows and two angry jack russells and my wife has a baseball bat!:D

jlj676
March 25, 2009, 07:12 PM
sorry forgot about that one:D

Re4mer
March 25, 2009, 11:58 PM
Basically we have 5 layers of protection.

1) Outside security lights which are motion activated.
2) An alarm system that beeps whenever any one of our doors is opened and notifies the police if someone trips the alarm when we are not home.
3) A motion detectors in the house and garage for when we are away.
4) Deadbolt locks on all the doors leading into the house or garage.
5) Guns

armsmaster270
March 26, 2009, 12:50 AM
Same as Re4mer plus a dog that hears everything my wifes 1911 and my Sig.

SilentSoul
March 26, 2009, 05:24 AM
The question raised about "reviling your secrets" is very valid in my opinion, take it from a retired black hat, if someone really wants to know where a member of this forum lives, it aint hard.. putting a 10/15 mile dot on a map, in which your house is located is childs play to say the least

and that a lone is more than enough, making an educated guess as to which house is yours would not be hard with a little effort and snooping, hints and clues in your very posts in this thread could be a giveaway, fences.. dogs and lights etc., how many houses near you have the same features? even the simple fact that you are a big gun owner or hunter could be enough as well

likewise, other posts in other threads, how much information have you revealed about yourself? hell.. there could even be pictures of you, family members, animals or even vehicles here, though.. why would a common thug go through the effort, or even be able to do so, most of us don't have that kind of enemy, and if we did.. would they know to come to this forum and find out about your defenses? doubt it... but still, its wise to think about this sort of stuff, a lot of f*cked up people out there.. no telling what wackjob on this or another forum, could decide to seek you out

that said.. i didnt see anyone mention cameras :D aside from the dogs and fence here, i have an infrared camera overlooking the backyard, connected to my TV, stays on the camera 90% of the time.. im not a big TV watcher, and a full color camera that i have connected to one of my other PCs, stays on all the time since its my network file sharing bot, camera is always on.. i blocked off my windows inside and out(stupid hurricanes), so i need a way to see outside, cameras are hidden out of reach

im not paranoid, just a little eccentric:cool:

PS, not trying to scare anyone, but information is important, the more you know the more you have to think about.. and thinking is good

RobertRogers
March 26, 2009, 10:14 AM
* Razor wire fence
* Outdoor alarms, security cameras, and lighting in Strategic Locations
* Several pit bulls roaming the property outside
* thorny hedges all around the perimeter of the house
* Home locked up tight with special passcodes needed
* All windows at least ten feet off the ground
* Home alarm security system
* Several pit bulls roaming inside the home
* Shotguns and tomahawks in hidden compartments in every room
* Manstopper handgun on my person
* Small canister of pepper spray on my person
* Bullet proof vests worn throughout the day by every member of the family.
* Saferoom with hidden door made of reinforced concrete and stocked with 7-days provisions.

I think I left a few things out, but that's a start

edistomick
March 31, 2009, 10:42 PM
Mobile door bells.

Great Dane that investigates, Retriever gets in front of me and monitors the Dane.
I react accordingly.
Both dogs are old females. Our vibes are akin. I react to them, they react to me.
Certain barks, certain reaction.
I got their backs, they got mine.