PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 60 Or Ruger 10/22

OttoJara
March 13, 2009, 05:50 PM
I have it narrowed down to two different .22s. The Marlin 60 or the Ruger 10/22. I would like to hear everyones pros and cons about each if possible. If you have owned one or both, please respond. I am just going to use it to plink,maybe hunt small game, and teach my boys (14 & 6) to shoot. Thanks.

TPAW
March 13, 2009, 06:18 PM
I own both. If you want better accuracy, get the Marlin 60.

feudalson
March 13, 2009, 06:23 PM
model 60..

Quickdraw Limpsalot
March 13, 2009, 06:24 PM
In my honest opinion, you really can't lose with either one. They're both fun rifles. I would suggest, though, that you think of maybe getting something other than a semiauto for teaching your boys. Doesn't necessarily have to be a single shot, but it'll help if they have to do something in between shots other than just yankin' the trigger over and over.

OttoJara
March 13, 2009, 06:59 PM
That is a good point there Quickdraw, I am getting either an old marlin pump .22 or a Winchester bolt action from my mom. They were my dad's and she is just waiting till she can find something to replace the gun cabinet. I still have to box it out with my brother to see who gets what.

Quickdraw Limpsalot
March 13, 2009, 07:18 PM
Just don't let it get ugly over which one you get - popping a squirrel with either one of those would be a nice way to honor your Pop in my book.

a7mmnut
March 13, 2009, 07:22 PM
I have had a Model 60 for about 20 years. It wears a 3X9 Tasco from that era. I still routinely get 1/2" groups @ 50 yds. from the bench with plain ol' CCI Minimag HP's. I never wanted nor expected any better. The trigger sucks, as it contains plastic parts. Other than that, I have recently only been drawn to the Ruger by the SS 22" model at Walmart for only $238. Seems like a good chance to try one for me.:) -7-

Average Joe
March 13, 2009, 07:50 PM
Flip a coin, I have both, either will serve you well.

OttoJara
March 13, 2009, 07:51 PM
QuickDraw, We're going to be quite civil with this, I get first pick (Browning A5 Light Twelve) and he is going to get the cabinet. We already have the revolvers,I carry mine everyday, S&W Mod. 64 snubby.

feudalson
March 13, 2009, 08:02 PM
the model 60 is far more accurate out of the box the only 2 advantages of the 10/22 is the detachable mag, and the after market support... i personally perfer the marlin because after extensive use with both i find the marlin edges it out on reliablity and is far more accurate out of the box

rantingredneck
March 13, 2009, 08:07 PM
Marlin 60 was my first gun at 9. Still have it. Very good shooter. I've owned a couple of 10/22's and have one in the safe now that I just bought used a few months ago. Still haven't shot it. My last one was fairly accurate stock though.

Another possibility if you don't mind looking around for one used is the Marlin 75. Basically a carbine version of the 60. Would be a little lighter and easier to handle for the kids. LOP is the same though, but that can be remedied with some basic woodworking skills.

DiscoRacing
March 13, 2009, 08:12 PM
i have both but like the 60 better.. it eases worry about lost clip...feed problems due to clip not seating properly...

Sarge
March 13, 2009, 08:18 PM
I've had several 10-22's and they always get sold to somebody who want's 'em more than I do.

I've also got an old 35 dollar Revelation 120, which is simply a yellow-label Model 60 from the Vietnam War era. That gun always works, it shoots right where it looks and it's so beat ragged that six months behind a dusty pickup seat would almost be a compliment to it. I like it's trigger better than any 10-22 I've ever had and it's easier to hit with offhand, too. That gun will probably stay around until the kids divide up my stuff. I just hope one of them takes it out and shoots it before they toss it in the For Sale pile.

bigghoss
March 13, 2009, 08:43 PM
I grew up shooting a 10/22 which my dad still has and I've had one of my own for about 6 years now. after the initial break-in with CCI's it' eats anything and hits anything. now I've never done a side-by-side bench test for accuracy but there are a lot of empty shotgun shells at the range today that will attest to the accuracy of my 10/22

Inspector3711
March 13, 2009, 09:07 PM
I've got a 10/22. I did have to put an extra $150 into it to make it drive tacks. That said, it'll run neck and neck with the best Model 60 out there. I'd buy the 10/22.

T191032
March 13, 2009, 09:58 PM
Well, just to throw another .22 in the mix, have you considered Marlin's clip-fed Model 795?

New_Pollution1086
March 13, 2009, 10:19 PM
10/22. more after market. Hi-caps.

T

gedenke
March 13, 2009, 11:13 PM
10/22. more after market.

+1

Just stick with Ruger rotary mags and spend the $12 on a Volquartzen Exact Edge extractor, and it'll run like a champ.

I had an old Marlin 60 that I got so fed up with, I gave it to a guy at the range and walked away. Granted it was really beat up and fairly abused by the guy that gave it to me, so, probably not a good representation for Marlin.

Jim243
March 13, 2009, 11:33 PM
Ruger 10/22 hands down - no compation. Get the Rifle not the carbine has a longer barrel. 10/22 has a ton of add ons and they shoot like champs. I can pop 10 golf balls in a row at 50 yards like Tiger Woods. A good way to teach the boys how to golf, works for me.

Jim

guruatbol
March 13, 2009, 11:40 PM
I own both as well and I prefer the 10/22...I also trained with a Mini 14, so I guess I am a bit partial.

I also have several large capacity mags for it.

Just my .02....

T. O'Heir
March 13, 2009, 11:48 PM
More aftermarket stuff available for a 10/22. However, you'll have to try a box of as many brands of ammo as you can to find the ammo either will both shoot well and cycle the action.

7mmsavage
March 14, 2009, 05:36 AM
If I could only have one I'd go with the 10/22. If it is for teaching the kids, I'd say get a bolt gun, but for me I'd get a 10/22. I've got a five year old carbine and love it, the only mods are the addition of Tech Sights and sling studs. It has put a lot of rounds downrange, usually cheap bulk carton type, with 1 jam. Thanks to the removeable mag, clearing that jam was much easier than what I have seen with the Model 60, which often involved a pocket knife. It also performed flawlessly at an Appleseed event last year. The thing that would turn me off to them now is how high the price has gotten, I paid $130 for mine but now $200 + seems the norm. My father and several friends own model 60s, and they are good, accurate rifles, and lots of fun, but my first choice is not a tube magazine. On that subject, I have 3 Ruger 10 round mags and have had zero problems with any of them.

OttoJara
March 14, 2009, 06:02 PM
OK now does anyone in Florida have one or the other for sale?:D

cecILL
March 15, 2009, 08:40 AM
Model 60. But if you go with the 10-22, try to find an older one.

kymasabe
March 15, 2009, 05:15 PM
I've owned both and I'll never buy another Marlin 60. Mine wouldn't feed worth a darn after it warmed up. Was totally unreliable and a waste of money.
My 10/22 carbine that I have now that I bought at WalMart has been 100% reliable. All I did were some minor/cheap mods. I put in a YellowJacket bolt buffer, an extended mag release and a PowerCustom Hammer. All together cost less than $50 and took about 10 minutes to install. The gun is surprisingly accurate and has never let me down. It's a keeper.

amprecon
March 15, 2009, 06:45 PM
I have owned both also, I still have the Marlin 60. I didn't like reloading those little boxy magazines, after awhile it wore my fingers out, not an issue with the 60. The sights on the 10/22 are atrocious, I just cannot use them with any degree of accuracy at all. The sights on the 60 are great for me. The 60 also fits me better, both the stocks are about the same length, I just felt all scrunched up behind the 10/22 where the 60 fits alot nicer. The 10/22 does have one good edge over the 60 and that is when they jam, the 10/22 is relatively easy to clear, whereas the 60 sometime requires a pair of needlenose pliers to wrangle that round out of their. But if you keep it relatively clean and use quality ammo, it'll treat you right.

Akgeezer
March 15, 2009, 07:36 PM
No experience with the 10/22, but have owned the model 60 for 10 years, when I inherited it from my dad. At first it jamed repeatedly until I found out how to properly break her down and cleaned the built up gunk out of her. Since then, she feeds flawlessly and is very accurate at the 50 yard range I use her for. I would reccoment one to anybody, but clean the action thoroughly after putting several hundred rounds through it. ;)

kymasabe
March 17, 2009, 10:39 PM
The Marlin 60 - vs - Ruger 10/22 argument has probably been going on for years. Both guns seem to be a love/hate kinda gun and so many people have had so many varied experiences with either one, it's interesting.

Regarding cleaning my 10/22, I rarely pull the bolt out of it, maybe after a 500 - 600 rounds aproximately, I don't keep an accurate round count on that gun. After a range trip, it gets a few passes with a bore-snake and that's about it until it's mega-round tear down and cleaning. Then, after a tear down and thorough cleaning, it looses accuracy for the first 20-30 rounds until it starts to foul up the barrel a little, then accuracy tightens back up.
In the Marlins defense, it never did that. My Marlin was accurate, did have better sights, the stock did fit better, just wasn't reliable enough for me.
That, and I prefer the Rugers mags to the Marlin tube feed.

onthejon55
March 17, 2009, 11:35 PM
Ruger hands down. Just as accurate as any other semi auto if you try different ammo. The aftermarket goodies for them are EVERYWHERE!

.300 Weatherby Mag
March 17, 2009, 11:50 PM
Shot both... Don't own either currently... If I was to buy a gun and leave it totally stock it would be a marlin 60... If I was to buy a gun to customize and tweak, it would be a 10/22...

Jayhawkhuntclub
March 18, 2009, 12:29 PM
My dad's Model 60 is a tack driver. I can't imagine what it'd do if it didn't have a 48 lb trigger:(

Tucker 1371
March 18, 2009, 12:38 PM
Can't go wrong with a 10/22, super accurate and a helluva lot of fun to shoot. Plus, theres a plethora of upgrades you can load it up with later to make it a more adult gun.

paladin-34
March 18, 2009, 06:07 PM
I bought my first marlin 60 in the 70’s and had a tone of fun with it, beat the dickens out of it. In the late 80’s it was getting lonely so I bought it a mate. About 4 years ago I bought a ruger 10/22 for silhouette because I thought ruger was a better gun (more accurate) and soon fell back to my marlin 60s. when savage introduced their mark 2 (bolt action) with accu-trigger I bought one and it is hands down the most accurate.
As semi autos go the ruger is more tolerant of ammo, the marlin 60’s do not like Aquila std velocity but are more accurate
(between the semi-autos).

Joe

TonsofOregonBrass
March 18, 2009, 06:56 PM
Model 60.

i have had several 10/22's. love them also, but i have sold a lot of them. the aftermarket for the 10/22 is incredible, and you can make an amazing gun with it.

However the model 60 i have had since i was 8. i think the first time i cleaned it i was 24. i have shot 10k's or rounds through it. it doesn't matter if it is cheap federal ammo or mini-mags. it just shoots and is very accurate. i still take it shooting with me all the time because if i absolutely need to hit the target i know i can. (Not for SD purposes, more small game hunting and targets. I know some one will take it there with the whole need to hit thing).

the 10/22s ar3e easier to clean but are more picky on ammo. the stock on the 10/22 is garbage and you will need to put another $150 into the 10/22 to make it as nice as the model 60. but either way they are both great guns, but i would say get the 60 it has served me very well all these years. my 10/22s i cannot say the same for.

TEDDY
March 18, 2009, 08:14 PM
FROM WHAT I MAKE OUT MOD 60S ARE ACCURATE OUT OF BOX.10/22s are easier to clear jams.60s are shot and enjoyed,10/22 you upgrade and spend a lot to make them cool.
so I have a marlin 60 bought new for $60 from Kmart.10/22 was to expensive foe me.I have 5 mossbergs,3 144/44/44 and a26b an a 42b.the mossbergs 44 series are target grade.I grew up on mossys a 43b target I could shoot better than a win 52. and my 42b cost $7.50.
so thats my take.confusing good.:rolleyes:;):D

Big Bill
March 19, 2009, 07:27 PM
Everyone needs a Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin Model 60. So, get one now and one later. I'm buying another new Marlin 80 for $149. They are a great buy.

94bluerat
March 19, 2009, 08:14 PM
I just traded my 60 to a friend for a 10/22.

I love them both, the 60 was sweet and had an awesome "old-timmey" look. I wanted the 10/22 for a project. They both shoot really well when you find the ammo the gun prefers. Both of mine worked great with the 525 count golden bullet from Remington.

Pick the one that feels good to you and go have fun shooting!

OttoJara
March 19, 2009, 11:47 PM
I am very happy that my thread has brought so much info. I think I am leaning towards the Marlin 60 due to it being a little cheaper, and that savings could go to 5000 rounds of .22lr. I do like the abilty to change the 10/22 with all of the after market add ons. Damn, now I'm back to where I started.

railroader
March 20, 2009, 08:29 AM
Here's a guy from rimfire central that recuts the chambers on stock 10/22 barrels. This is suppose to really tighten up the groups. You could make a real sleeper rifle with a little trigger work too. http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/member.php?u=22658 Mark

Winchester_73
March 20, 2009, 09:23 AM
I own a ruger 10/22 SS. I placed a green mountain barrel on it, a bushnell scope and a butler creek stock. I like it better, than before. However, I was pleased with my accuracy and trigger pull out of the box. I did get mine black friday in 2006 for $150 at dicks, maybe it was $200 but I think $150 which was a bargain. The thing you have to realize is its really all in all what you want to do with the gun. If its going to be lightly used and just for plinking then the 10/22 probably isn't worth it. I would want the better trigger myself. When you factor in the ability to customize the 10/22 you can really put it in a different world than a marlin model 60. Its all in the $$$ and how serious you want to be and how much you plan to use the rifle. I have no regrets with mine. For around $400 a 10/22 can be made to outshoot a lot of rifles that cost more $$$. The sky is the limit with a 10/22.

lomaxanderson
March 20, 2009, 10:31 AM
...I paid 120 for one with a scope and the only thing else I've done to it is feed it ...was a tack driver out of the box...and my friends with several hundred more in their 10/22's won't shoot with me any more on those dueling target spinners :D

12GaugeShuggoth
March 20, 2009, 10:43 AM
If I was to buy a gun and leave it totally stock it would be a marlin 60... If I was to buy a gun to customize and tweak, it would be a 10/22...

+1. I have a Marlin 60 that my parents gave me when I was 11 or 12 I think, very accurate little gun and real handy to carry around. If it gets too dirty from cheap-O bulk .22's it can get a little finicky about loading, but as long as it's kept relatively clean or fed decent ammo it'll shoot as fast as I can pull the trigger.

The only 10/22's I've shot had some pretty constant feeding problems, but that could've been from the long banana high-cap magazines the owners' had, I don't know. I couldn't shoot them near as accurately as the Marlin, so I just figured I'd stick with what I already have.

I really like my dad's old Remington 522 Viper though, it's been extremely reliable over the years and quite accurate.

paladin-34
March 20, 2009, 09:48 PM
As I stated before I bought my first marlin 60 in the 70’s, it was used. I did not start tracking the amount of rounds through it till I bought the second one and it is just over 10000 rnds. To that point the only money I had spent on it was ammo, and it was feeling its age. So I spent less than $20 and replaced the hammer spring (new was 1/8 in longer), recoil spring (new was ½ in longer), and a firing pin, and its like a new gun.

Joe

jammin1237
March 21, 2009, 06:30 PM
teaching young kids... get the marlin 60 or the 795 (same gun different magazine)...
the main difference between the two is that the marlin uses a microgroove rifling and the roog 10/22 uses standard button rifling...microgroove rifling is faster and more accurate with the 22lr round( yeah i know i'll catch he11 for that one)... i'd want the best accuracy for the cheapest shoot...

GuateShooter
March 23, 2009, 09:12 PM
I have both, ruger its nice, you cant upgrade it with many options, marlin dont have this benefit, but marlin its more safety for kids. to fill the tubular magazine you can use a spee D loader and the problem become a joy.

223 shooter
March 24, 2009, 04:38 AM
I like the magazine loading of the 10/22. The tube feed to me is more of a pain having to hold the entire rifle to reload.

Evidently the 10/22 is accurate enough for most shooters. At the 2008 Rimfire Sporter National Championships at Camp Perry out of 180 shooters there were dozens of 10/22s used including 3 of the top ten. About 4 or so Model 60s out of the 180 entries.

auto11_87
April 5, 2009, 07:02 PM
Ive been using my dad's marlin 60 for years and what Ive found is that it is accurate, but unreliable for a long day at the range. It reloads reliably for about 5 tubes, but then starts to jam at every round.