PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, reloading 9mm Luger

89blazin
March 13, 2009, 07:16 AM
New to the forum and so maybe this has been discussed before. I am a long time shotshell reloader and just getting into metallic. I am wanting to start reloading 9mm. I bought a Lee carbide die set, and the loading chart that came with it raises a question regarding bullets:

What is the difference between reloading:

115 gr. FMJ jacketed (copper)
115 gr. FMC (copper)
115 gr. Berry's plated (copper)

Example (from the chart)

115gr jacketed bullet 4.5 to 5.0gr of Universal.
115 gr. copper plated ... Universal not listed
115 gr. FMC not listed

Apparently a copper jacket...or plating...or whatever FMC is consider, have enough differences as to greatly affect reloading/pressures/whatever??

I noticed that some have copper surrounding the entire bullet while some do not cover the base of the bullet. I'm confused (and sometimes easily so) about what the differences are.

All insight is appreciated.

rduckwor
March 13, 2009, 07:32 AM
Generally plated or coated lead bullets load out using the lead bullet data. However, you need to get a couple of loading manuals and work your loads up starting at or near the minimum load data for the bullet you are loading. Remember that powder measures are NOT perfect and will vary a bit in what they drop. Stay away from max load data until you have some experience with your equipment and the expendables you are using (bullet, powder and primers).

Do everything you do while reloading very deliberately and carefully. The life you save will be yours.

Good Luck,

RMD

89blazin
March 13, 2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks...but...I have a couple manuals and the loading charts show significant differences between reloading lead and jacketed.

SMITH910
March 13, 2009, 07:58 AM
Ask this in the reloading forum (below a bit) and you will get the advice you seek. Good luck.

89blazin
March 13, 2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks Smith.