PDA

View Full Version : Kimber History please.

Hornett
March 9, 2009, 10:18 AM
It seems that every one is bashing Kimber these days.
I can see why, the have had some real issues...
Bad slide to frame fit, casting flaws in finished pistols, broken parts, MIM, plastic MSH...

But
Almost everyone who bashes makes a statement similar to this.

"At one time, many years ago they actually built a nice pistol. They were the first to offer a semi custom 1911 with all the bells and whistles."

Here is my question:
What year or at what model did they begin to go bad?
I know they had a real bad run with the external extractors.
But, is that where all the trouble began
What year was that?

Edit to add:
I have a Kimber Aluminum Stainless (Series I) manuf in 1997 and I love it.
I was just wondering if it qualifies as one of the really nice pistols or not.
It has no effect on my feelings for my particular Kimber. I know it's good.
I was just looking for some history.

Sturmgewehre
March 9, 2009, 10:47 AM
I believe Kimber of America moved to Yonkers in 1998. Kimber of America hadn't been around all that long (previously Kimber of Oregon which failed in 1989 and had its assets liquidated) before being moved.

There was a power struggle between Greg Warne (wanted high quality guns, original owner of KoO before bankruptcy) and Les Edelman (of Nationwide Sports fame, purely interested in profit). Greg lost the power struggle.

The company moved to Yonkers and grew quickly, and their quality slide just as quickly. A number of shady things went on, including their CFO Denis Shusterman being indicted for embezzling 10m from Kimber America and Nationwide Sports.

Here we sit today with poor quality, massive production capabilities and an interest in nothing more than volume. If Greg Warne had won the power struggle, Kimber would still be building world class pistols.

Series 1 pistols are generally more desirable than Series 2. Clackamas pistols (before the move to Yonkers) are by far the most collectible and the best built.

Hornett
March 9, 2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks Sturm,

That explains a lot.
And gives me the date I was looking for.

BanditSRT8
March 9, 2009, 11:14 AM
The 1st Gen pistols were absolutely amazing, and highly collectible.

They were Jericho frames, the same frames used in Wilson pistols. The fit and finish was top notch.

They initially sold for about $425. Can you believe that?

They soon went to absolute crap.

Freakdaddy
March 9, 2009, 11:24 AM
Here's some more info:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=183961

FWIW, all Kimber 1911's have been made in Yonkers. When they first started manufacturing 1911's, the Kimber HQ was still in Clackamas, OR. They were in the process of moving when these first came out therefore the earlier produced one's had the Clackamas rollmark. Since there were fewer of these made (<7500 I believe), these are considered more collectible. The Series I are also more desirable and don't last too long when they come up for sale.

fomalley
March 9, 2009, 03:18 PM
Kimber was highly touted when I bought my Gold Match in 1998. (Blued version, this preceded the stainless versions.) At that time I had been looking for a Colt, but the gun dealer, whom I respect, pushed me to buy the Kimber. The reviews in the gun mags were stellar. It has been a terrific gun. I finally had some work done on it last year when the action froze up; I also had the feed ramp polished to accept more ammo. But, otherwise, no troubles. Too bad about the newer guns.