PDA

View Full Version : Meprolight Sights

FyredUp
March 7, 2009, 04:17 PM
I want to put a low light or night sight on my P89 and these seem to be reasonably priced.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

FlyboyTx
March 7, 2009, 04:25 PM
When I bought my first XD-9/sub, the gun dealer asked if I wanted night sights and so I said "sure" and he suggested them. I was pretty new into gunnin' and so didn't know much about such stuff at the time.

His point was they were just as good as ...whatever... and cost less.

But now that I've actually owned Heine and Novak on other guns, the Mepros are NOT as good. The others seem larger and brighter, mostly, and I do prefer them.

That being said, that original set is still on my XD and they still do glow. No longer an issue though, as the XD is now 'retired' from active carry duty, and rides in the SUV 24/7 as the "truck gun."

I have Heines on the Kahr P-9 that replaced it and they are outstanding.

FBT

Creature
March 7, 2009, 04:33 PM
As good as the other brands...just as bright and just as durable.

Stevie-Ray
March 7, 2009, 05:00 PM
Far as I know the night sights on my Kimber are Mepros. Love em.

chris in va
March 8, 2009, 11:29 AM
as the XD is now 'retired' from active carry duty, and rides in the SUV 24/7 as the "truck gun."

Do you have a safe in the truck to put it in?

Monkeyleg
March 8, 2009, 05:47 PM
I had Meprolight night sights put on my Pro Carry about five or six years ago, and they work just fine. I'm fairly certain that they're not as bright as they were new, but I can still see them easily in low light. They've even survived the pistol being dropped on hard floors a few times.

Don H
March 8, 2009, 07:05 PM
The Meprolights are bright enough for me to read by, if I move them along the line I'm reading, in a totally dark environment and my eyes have acclimated (an experiment I tried when I first got them).

FyredUp
March 8, 2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks for all the help. I think I will buy a set for my P89.

Re4mer
March 10, 2009, 12:44 AM
Meprolights are my favorite night sights. They are larger and brighter than most other brands and generally about the same price. Cant go wrong.

Hook686
March 10, 2009, 03:25 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/dmchinnock/rear-sml.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/dmchinnock/front-sml.jpg

Revolver, or semiautomatic, the Meprolights have proven as effective as Trijicon on my handguns.

Tamara
March 10, 2009, 06:39 AM
1) The tritium vials in all night sights are the same size. They may have larger (Mep) or smaller (Trij) paint rings around them, but the vials themselves are the same.

2) The substance that actually makes them glow is tritium. Tritium sights will glow for 8-12 years. All sight brands are the same here again; they all use the same green glowing radioactive gas. To the best of my knowledge, there is only one commercial source of tritium in the US, and another in Israel. Meps use Israeli vials. The only people in the U.S. of which I am aware that are licensed by the NRC to load vials into sights are Tooltech (http://www.tooltechgunsight.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=53).

3) The main difference in construction between Meprolites and Trijicons is that Mep sight bodies are cast and Trij's are machined. This isn't a very big deal except on certain guns with tights sight channels. Specifically, SIGs and Springfield XD's. Apparently they aren't real big on changing out dovetail cutters very often in Germany or Croatia, and this results in sight cuts that are usually on the low end of spec. Try and squeeze a cast Mep (usually Meps run a little oversize) in there, and you wind up with metal shaved off the sight body, where the Triij would have just slid in. On most brands of guns, though, it's going to come down to personal choice.

4) Personally, I think that orange or red dots are a gimmick. Tritium glows green. To make the sights another color, you have to put a colored filter over the vial. This makes the sight dimmer, and the visible glow won't last as long.