PDA

View Full Version : Frequency of concealed carry (civilian, not LE)

Cousin Pat
March 5, 2009, 09:47 PM
For those in legal concealed carry states, how active are you in actually doing so?

Brian Pfleuger
March 5, 2009, 09:56 PM
You missed one:

I carry every time I leave the house but don't own or have any desire for a back-up gun.

treg
March 5, 2009, 09:56 PM
Every day.

gmoney
March 5, 2009, 09:59 PM
I live in the dreaded, criminal state of Illinois where our governors make our license plates and nothing is allowed .........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chemgirlie
March 5, 2009, 10:00 PM
Would do it every day if I weren't in WI.

Gadget
March 5, 2009, 10:09 PM
I'm strapped every time I leave my home. No backup guns allowed in NM at this time (we're not THAT trusted.)

ar15chase
March 5, 2009, 10:12 PM
I always carry here in THE LONE STAR STATE. There is no limit to how many handguns we carry. A long as we can keep the concealed.

seaville
March 5, 2009, 10:12 PM
Everyday
If I go to the woods I may have two or three weapons on me for fun, sport, or protection.

partemisio
March 5, 2009, 10:22 PM
You missed one:

I carry every time I leave the house but don't own or have any desire for a back-up gun.

x2

2kflhr
March 5, 2009, 10:27 PM
I've never carried a BU but it's not a bad idea.

orionengnr
March 5, 2009, 10:27 PM
You missed one:

Yep. What he said.

moose fat
March 5, 2009, 10:45 PM
Missed two, Vermont and Alaska;

I don't have a license and carry every day.

Sixer
March 5, 2009, 10:49 PM
Every day when possible... No BUG, one is good enough for me.

ElectricHellfire
March 5, 2009, 10:56 PM
G26 for EDC. No BUG.

MrClean
March 5, 2009, 10:56 PM
If I die before my brother..... I expect him to bury me with my HK.....
Just in case. LMAO :D

freakshow10mm
March 5, 2009, 11:01 PM
I carry every day, from the time I get up to the time I go to bed, whether I'm at work, at home, in between, etc. If I'm awake, I'm armed.

isanchez2008
March 5, 2009, 11:11 PM
Concealed and open carry in my state. I carry all day every day. Unless I have to go somewhere that I can not legally carry. Sometimes I have a BUG. I will begin carrying the BUG all the time when I find a more comfortable holster. Having it will not make me less able to defend myself so I don't see why not. Its like having more than one bullet you hope the first one will do the trick but you fire couple more to make sure. ;)

Brit
March 6, 2009, 04:14 AM
If I am awake, including working, I am armed, if asleep, G19 waits for me to awake.

The Great Mahoo
March 6, 2009, 08:17 AM
I carry most of the time; dress permitting. No need for a back-up, atleast for me.

Open carry is legal, and usually OC on the ranges.

hoytinak
March 6, 2009, 08:39 AM
If I'm wearing pants or shorts I'm carrying....and no backup for me.

Creature
March 6, 2009, 08:41 AM
Same here. I even carry concealed when I'm at home.

Glenn E. Meyer
March 6, 2009, 10:26 AM
A guy I know from the TX CHL trainers association said an informal survey indicated that about 80% of folks with CHLs don't carry. They like to have a 'car' gun - like that is worth crap in most scenarios.

scorpion_tyr
March 6, 2009, 11:08 AM
And people in TX don't need a CHL to keep a firearm in their car. If it's a handgun it just has to be concealed. I will agree that the car gun won't do you any good while you sit inside McDonalds and a crack head starts threatening people with a weapon.

Bauer
March 6, 2009, 12:40 PM
Glenn E. Meyer:
A guy I know from the TX CHL trainers association said an informal survey indicated that about 80% of folks with CHLs don't carry. They like to have a 'car' gun - like that is worth crap in most scenarios.

Wow I would have never guessed that many don't actually carry. And I agree; if you are in your car you have a weapon, safety barrier, get-a-way tool in your hands already.

Anyways, thankfully WA is a shall issue/stand your ground state even though it's quite liberal. I carry whenever I can. Unfortunately the damn law prevents me from carrying on campus and I am a college student so there is a few hours a day that I am not armed. :mad:

EDIT:
Scorpion if that Texas law is like the Oregon law then it's the opposite. You can have your firearm in your vehicle without a permit only if it is NOT concealed. It has to be something like 75% visible; on the dash, seat, etc.

Sixer
March 6, 2009, 12:41 PM

That sounds about right. Most of my buddies that have their CCW do not actually carry a gun that often. I kind of started out the same way. I took the class shortly after I bought my first handgun. I mainly took it so I would be up to snuff on my state handgun laws and for the safety portion. I also wanted to have it "just in case"...

I had my license to carry for about 3 weeks before I actually used it. I finally figured that it was just a waste of money if I wasn't using it. After being "enlightened" by my fellow TFL members, I now carry it whenever possible.

pax
March 6, 2009, 12:42 PM
If my pants are on, so is my firearm. It's my default setting.

pax

NavyLT
March 6, 2009, 12:55 PM
If my pants are on

I'm not about to comment on that one.

I didn't realize you were in Washington state, what part?

pax
March 6, 2009, 01:16 PM
NavyLT ~

I'm outside Chehalis/Centralia.

pax

Bauer
March 6, 2009, 02:15 PM
Seems to be a decent amount of PNW members here. I'm either in Ellensburg or Seattle during the year.

doh_312
March 6, 2009, 03:48 PM
Everyday, all day, I have one gun on me. Often times I have two guns on me.

Brian Pfleuger
March 6, 2009, 03:53 PM
I can tell you that I know at least 4 cc permit holders persoanlly (it's not a big thing around here), just off the top of my head, and NONE of them carry on a regular basis. One of them carries about 50% of the time, maybe, the rest- never.

Playboypenguin
March 6, 2009, 03:57 PM
I almost always carry but Inever have a BUG...unless you count the one in the safe inside my truck. :)

mrt949
March 6, 2009, 04:21 PM
I Never Leave Home Without It BAD Habit To Get Into Once You Start.:(

Cousin Pat
March 6, 2009, 05:53 PM
My conclusion so far is that only about 25% of people who routinely carry also routinely carry a BUG.

I also conclude that forum members are unusually active in concealed carry. I found a 2008 book (by Chris Bird) that has this data for 32 states with right-to-carry:

Total population: 197 million
# licenses to carry: 3.5 million (2%)

The highest percentage states are --

Pennsylvania - 5.4%
Indiana - 4.3%
Washington - 3.7%
Connecticut - 3.6%
South Dakota - 3.5%

The largest absolute numbers of licenses are in --

Pennsylvania - 668,000
Florida - 399,000
Texas - 276,000
Indiana - 274,000
Washington - 237,000

It appears this data is as of 2007.

curt.45
March 6, 2009, 07:13 PM
I took mine off to sit down and type this answer, that answer your question.

Brit
March 7, 2009, 07:34 AM
Also no comment on the pants on statement! In fact I am sat at the Laptop now, in a big thick dressing gown, two deep pockets! Right hand one has my Glock 19 right now. Worked till 4AM, same Glock on belt, to bedside table, to pocket (someone called and woke me up!) now back to Mr. Pillow, Mr. Glock back to bedside table. Plus G17 Magazine and a Surefire G2.

Freedom, Florida style!

Re4mer
March 7, 2009, 09:25 AM
I would carry a backup if I had one...:(

Re4mer
March 7, 2009, 09:27 AM
Hey Pat where did Michigan and Ohio come out in number of CCW carriers?

Mello2u
March 7, 2009, 10:43 AM
pax

If my pants are on, so is my firearm. It's my default setting.

Ditto, plus I carry a spare mag and a Surefire 6P.

Georgia with a population of over 9 million has over 121,000 concealed carry permits out for 2008 up over 79% from 2007.

Crankylove
March 7, 2009, 10:58 AM
I carry every day, every where it is legal to do so. Never carried a back up gun, never wanted to. Don't carry a flashlight or pepper spray, about half the time I have one spare mag with me, rest of the time its just my springer with a full mag and a round chambered.

Cousin Pat
March 7, 2009, 12:16 PM
This book shows Michigan with 149,000 licensed residents (1.5%) and Ohio with 98,000 (0.9%). This puts Michigan at #6 (after Washington) in total number of licensed residents. Ohio is 9th (following Virginia and Connecticut).

guntotin_fool
March 7, 2009, 02:58 PM
just like American Express, Don't leave home without it.

Nnobby45
March 7, 2009, 04:56 PM
:rolleyes:Frequency of concealed carry
CC is not legal in my state
CC is legal, but I have no current plans to get a license
I am licensed (or have one pending) and occasionally (will) carry
I am licensed and often carry but rarely with back up gun
I am licensed, often carry and often carry a backup gun

I ALWAYS carry. Not usually, not if I feel like it, not only if I decide it's necessary. ALWAYS. If I have to go into a place where I can't carry, I lock my gun in my car and re-arm myself immediately when I get back.

If I'm, tempted to not carry because it isn't "fun" anymore, I remind myself of the comittment I made to myself, and also of Murphy's Law.

I'd have checked "always carrry, almost always carry a backup". But then, I didn't have that option. Seems like there have been a number of polls lately, with limited options.

CAP1
March 7, 2009, 08:20 PM
My state doesn't allow a BUG (legally).

But yes, carry most all places it's legal. (There are a number of places it is not legal to carry concealed.

partemisio
March 7, 2009, 08:29 PM
My state doesn't allow a BUG (legally).

What's your state?

Sand Rat
March 7, 2009, 08:49 PM
Everywhere I can. BUG in winter (concealment reasons) and when travelling.

Shadi Khalil
March 7, 2009, 09:07 PM
I carry pretty frequently but never with a back up.

markshere2
March 7, 2009, 09:45 PM
When I leave the property, I strap on my pistol.

Church, store, bank, library, friends, barbershop - everywhere.

Hardtarget
March 7, 2009, 10:59 PM
When I'm up, its on me. On my belt right now.

Mark.

Cousin Pat
March 7, 2009, 11:26 PM
My state is California. Out here we are still allowed to defend ourselves by calling 911 from our cellphone -- I think we can even conceal... the phone.

jesus5150
March 8, 2009, 01:31 AM
Out here we are still allowed to defend ourselves by calling 911 from our cellphone -- I think we can even conceal... the phone.

Hey now! I think you're being unfair to Cali... You've got plenty of options.

1) Fingernail clippers
2) Pencil's (Number 2 only I believe)
3) Combs
4) Roll of Quarters

All of which are still legal to conceal... Let's try to be less negative here... Geez.

thepipe
March 10, 2009, 09:03 AM
every dang day since 01/20/09......

12GaugeShuggoth
March 10, 2009, 09:16 AM
I carry every day, whether I'm out 'n' about, or just relaxing at home. Trouble can and does strike anywhere, regardless of what you're doing. When dress and daily activities allow it I carry a primary and a backup gun. Often the backup gun will come off my person while driving so I can have easy access if something should happen while in the truck.

Dustin0
March 10, 2009, 10:06 AM
Carry 1911 cocked and locked all day everyday.

Lee Lapin
March 10, 2009, 08:04 PM
From pants on till pants off, except when I'm forced to go into a criminal empowerment zone. That includes at home, working in the garden, etc. I'm still trying to learn how to schedule my emergencies, but I haven't worked it out yet, and the only way I know to have a gun if I need one is to have one all the time.

Reload, yes- backup, no. I carry an airweight J frame and a speedloader.

lpl/nc

VHinch
March 10, 2009, 08:11 PM
Full size and a backup all day everyday, unless in an off limits area, which other than the post office isn't very often.

Dallas Jack
March 10, 2009, 08:34 PM
I carry all the time except where it is not legal, and in the shower.:eek:
Dallas Jack

ooreach
March 28, 2009, 02:16 AM
I have a glock so I can even wear it in the shower....:rolleyes:

Glock 27 in smart carry in shorts, pants or just about anything or
Taurus 651 in shorts, pants.
Both with CT lasers. Only differance is revolver I always carry 2 speed strips
Glock I may or may not carry another magazine.
No BUG.

jgcoastie
March 28, 2009, 07:15 AM
You left one out...

"I do not have a permit and I carry every day."

ooreach
March 28, 2009, 10:34 AM
You left one out...

"I do not have a permit and I carry every day."....legally. IN the other 48 states we are not trustworthy so WE THE PEOPLE need a license, permit or such to use our 2nd ammendment right.
Your system is so much easier, but then how does the goverment get more money...errrrrr, tax you for your right?

jamaica
March 29, 2009, 06:49 PM
I carry all day every day. With the exceptions: at church and into the post office. I also would not carry into any secure area, but seldom have reason to go to one. In Utah we can carry in a bar, to school, and openly if we want.
Like everywhere else, some employers won't allow their employees to have guns on the property. I am retired.

Yes, sometimes I carry a bug.

I don't suppose I will ever need a gun for self defense or defense of family. I have lived a good many years here without ever needing one. Yet, I am prepared and will continue to be prepared. About a year ago some young punk was breaking into homes of older people stealing drugs and money.
The little jerk knew his victims and was picking on older people. He went into one house when the owner was home. There was no confrontation, but the owner saw him leave and the cops got an ID.

You just never know, even in good almost crime free areas. Stuff happens.

Carry on!

djc7
March 29, 2009, 07:17 PM
One word...Illinois. :(

Radioman
March 29, 2009, 09:38 PM
Concealable Handgun --> $600
Holster ---> $49.95
Ammunition --> $59.95
CPL Class --> $150
CPL Processing Fee ---> $105

Defending an Anti and opening a mind

PRICELESS

for the normal everyday there are sheeple, for the moments that really count there is a CPL holder.

If you hadn't guessed I am like PAX and a few others. When I get up it goes on, when I go to sleep it goes on the nightstand next to me. :cool:

Radioman