PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XD models

jfost
March 3, 2009, 06:00 PM
I don't have any of the Springfield XD models, but from what I have heard they are pretty dam good guns. A fellow firearms owner at the range testified to it's performance. He owns a Springfield XD Subcompact 40 S&W. I shot it as well. It's a pretty nice gun. It appears to be readily equipped for all types of accessorizing. So, I got to thinking, maybe I should get the same one? Can't go wrong with a Springfield rifle and I would have to believe the same is true for their pistols. Please leave any comments that you have about the Springfield XD and any information that a gunowner of this model has relayed to you.

Shane Tuttle
March 3, 2009, 06:37 PM
There are claims of the .40SW cartridge in Xds being snappy. Also, some complain of high bore axis and its contributer to muzzle flip. The subcompact's short barrel length and small grip multiplies this apparent issue even more in some. Now, if YOU didn't have any problems firing this gun when you tried it out, all of the said issues are moot.

I have the XD40 and XD45ACP in service model (4"). My wife and I have used both of them through tough training courses without any issues of relliability or finish. I, myself, prefer the "muzzle flip" some complain about. It settles back down on target quicker and easier for my taste. I had Springfield Armory perfrom trigger jobs on both of them and other upgrades and they are the cat's meow. Their customer service is absolutely outstanding by backing their product in every facet from warranty to custom work.

For a service duty firearm, I have nothing but good things to say about them.

ElectricHellfire
March 3, 2009, 06:44 PM
I currently have a 4inch model in 9mm and a Subcompact in .40sw. No problems with either. Very reliable and good solid handguns.

BLUEZ4U
March 3, 2009, 06:53 PM
I have the .40 Sub.

No issues, it's a fine gun.

doh_312
March 3, 2009, 07:27 PM
I have the 5" .45 and the 4" .40 and I love them both. I'm looking to find a compact or subcompact soon. Never had any issues with the two I own

Ozzieman
March 3, 2009, 07:33 PM
No experience shooting one myself, but a good friend picked up a 40 3 weeks ago and has been spending his lunches shooting the gun every day for the past two weeks. He has been averaging 100 rounds a setting so you can count them up your self. No problems at all, he has been very impressed with the gun but does complain a little on the recoil of the 40. His main gun up in till now has been a Glock 19 and he said that he liked the XD a lot more, in fact plans on buying a 45.
Hopefully this weekend we will get to the range together and I can put a few through his XD.

#18indycolts
March 3, 2009, 07:35 PM
without reading any of the other posts: Its very simple, any caliber, any size frame....just GET ONE!:)

INMY01TA
March 3, 2009, 07:41 PM
Love my .45 XD. :D
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j311/INMY01TA/Guns/100_0260.jpg

carprivershooter
March 3, 2009, 07:59 PM
I own 1 XD9 4in barrel great shooter never any problems, 1 ea XD 9 subcompact again great gun ,it's one of my carrys, I have an XD 40 4in barrrel also great shooter I also carry this also most as often as the 9, And I have a XD45 4 in barrel good gun better shooter than I am, some muzzle flip but something i have learned to work with. I had a 40 Sub compact good gun didn't like the muzzle flip. XDs are good reliable guns, I have never had a problem with any of them. My only issue is the thickness, a bit harder to conceal. Try them all you'll like them. I am thinking about picking up the XDm series in my favorite Cals.

chris in va
March 3, 2009, 08:05 PM
I had the XD9 Service model a few years ago. My large hands couldn't reliably disengage the grip safety, and the distance from the trigger face to back of the grip (LOP) was too short for my tastes. I couldn't shoot the thing worth a darn.

I understand the XD45's have a larger frame which would help that.

Can't go wrong with a Springfield rifle and I would have to believe the same is true for their pistols

BTW not that it makes any difference, but understand the XD's are not really Springfield per se, but made in Croatia. Don't want you to think they are made in the USA.

Bauer
March 3, 2009, 08:16 PM
+1 for .40 S&W Subcompact.

FlyboyTx
March 3, 2009, 08:21 PM
Sweetie and I have owned and shot both the XD9 sub and XD45 (4" and 5"), with thousands of rounds through them. Until very recently, when I switched to a Kahr CW9, the sub had been my daily carry gun for years; she still uses hers, likes the safety features and it fits her hands very well.

As a breed, ours are trouble free and reliable. I highly recommend them to anyone.

FBT

mike21603
March 5, 2009, 09:02 AM
i have the xd sc chambered in 9mm and i have never had a problem with this gun. shoot any type of ammo i put in it. accurate for subcompact gun also. best of all if you do have a problem with the gun something is not working right springfield has a lifetime warranty to go along with it. they stand behind there guns. not sure what years it was but xd series also won hand gun of the year awards like 3 or 4 years. thats what got me interested. some police are started to use the xd's for duty weapons.

dairycreek
March 5, 2009, 02:02 PM
I own two XD,s. A 45 service and a 9 sub compact. I am retired and have my own shooting range and have but several K rounds through each of these pistols. Never (I said never) had a problem with either of them. Just keep them clean and keep pulling the trigger. They are really, really reliabl:De!

TimNelson
March 5, 2009, 02:48 PM
my wife carries the xd9 sc and I keep the service .40 by the bedside. I like both of them but I actually like shooting the xd9 subcompact better than the .40. The .40 does have a bit of kick in my opinion but if you liked it when you shot it go for it.

jfost
December 6, 2010, 03:26 PM
I am updating some of these posts because I forgot about my account here for a while. I've been so busy with school. I bought a subcompact .40 S&W and shot pmc and winchester supreme elite and had no problems. Recoil was a little more than my compact sig p250 9mm, but not much at all. Happy I bought one and with the free mag promotion springfield is running I was more than delighted to pick up one. Thanks everyone for the help I really appreciate it.

sserdlihc
December 6, 2010, 04:06 PM
I have an XDM 40 and never had any issues. It will eat anything I feed it.

azredhawk44
December 6, 2010, 04:19 PM
I've had my XD9 for about 5-6 years and it's been, quite literally, 100% reliable.

Through about 3500 rounds so far in it, and those largely consist of lead bullet reloads. Never a single feed/fire/ejection malfunction. I also have run large amounts of factory new 9mm ball through it and about 300 rounds of various 9mm hollowpoint defensive ammo ranging from Gold Dots to Golden Sabres to Hornady TAP to MagTech Guardian Gold.

Truly 100% reliable.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p17/azredhawk44/XD9/100_0241.jpg

Philo
December 6, 2010, 04:21 PM
I love my XD9 subcompact. Great CCW. Durable, easy to clean, and accurate for a 3-inch barrel.

proxpilot
December 6, 2010, 04:59 PM
booya!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/proxpilot/002-1.jpg

Taurus_9mm
December 6, 2010, 07:57 PM
My XD .45 has been 100% with whatever I've ran through it. If you get one I doubt you'd be disappointed with its performance. :)

Shane Tuttle
December 6, 2010, 08:08 PM
My XD .45 has been 100% with whatever I've ran through it. If you get one I doubt you'd be disappointed with its performance.

Um...welll....he did start this thread way back early in '09 and updated it to say he bought one. Sooooo....

Taurus_9mm
December 6, 2010, 08:19 PM
Four others gave their own accounts after he mentioned his purchase, I was merely following suit.

xdshtr
December 7, 2010, 08:52 AM
i recently bought the xd subcompact .40 for ccw. AMAZING! i love it, never had any problems with performance and i put around 800 rounds through it in about a month and a half.

bikerbill
December 7, 2010, 10:44 AM
Had a 4-inch XD-40 and enjoyed it a lot, never found it "snappy." Sold it when I decided to cut back on calibers I had to feed and got an XDm-9, which is better in every way, a fantastic gun and incredibly accurate and reliable ...

Shane Tuttle
December 8, 2010, 12:09 AM
Well, it looks like school's in session....

Exhibit A:

Four others gave their own accounts after he mentioned his purchase, I was merely following suit.

And let's take a closer look, shall we? Merely following suit. The four others apparantly knew he ALREADY purchased the firearm and posted examples of theirs. You said IF he bought one. If you look back at his updated post, he ALREADY did. That's the whole reason why this thread was duly resurrected.

Not sayin'....just sayin'...

Class dismissed....