PDA

View Full Version : Replacement stock for 700 "mountain" rifle

fireroad
March 2, 2009, 05:42 PM
Does anyone know, other than Remington, who makes a replacement stock for the 700 mountain rifles with the "mountian contour" barrels. I have a 280 with the original wood stock that I would like to put a laminate stock on similiar to the new 700 mountian LSS.

jmr40
March 2, 2009, 05:58 PM
Bell and Carlson makes one that will fit but may require a little work. It is the same stock they but on their titanium versions and is currently only offered in the ADL version. You will either have to modify the stock for a floorplate or convert your rifle to ADL. They are offered at www.lockstock.com

They are listed under miscellaneous when you click on "Bell and Carlson rifle stocks"

Other more expensive stock makers such as McMillan, Brown Precision and Bansners will also build a stock you want.

I didn't read your post carefully enough, I'm not sure about laminate, but these are good synthetic options.

fireroad
March 2, 2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks, but I want to stay away from plastic/fiberglass. Never owned one I liked. I was hoping for laminate, but have yet to find one (other than manufactured by/for Remington) that was inlet to fit the "mountian" barrel contour. Remingtons stock prices are outrageous, I wish I knew who supplied the stocks to them.

taylorce1
March 2, 2009, 08:36 PM
Real easy find anyone who makes a laminate stock and tell them what you want. Most of them will either make you the stock with the inlet you want for the barrel or they will inlet the action only leaving you to inlet for the barrel. Sure it probably isn't one of the more common contours but I'm sure if you ask some one will make it for a premium unfortunately.

jmr40
March 2, 2009, 08:39 PM
Best bet would probably be to check out E-Bay, Gunbroker or check the free classifieds in some of the shooting forums for someone who has taken a laminated stock off to replace it with a synthetic.

Flatbush Harry
March 2, 2009, 08:48 PM
Wenig makes a line of very nice laminated stocks with a wide choice of style and color. I'd think that checking with them might yield a possible choice.

Cheers,

HC

ogree
March 2, 2009, 09:07 PM
These guys may be able to help you out.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-for-Remington-s/7.htm

fireroad
March 3, 2009, 05:26 PM
Haven't heard back from boyds, but did hear back from stocky's (who carries boyds)....they said the only match was the Bell&Carlson 5221-XX, but it's been discontinued.

G-BO
March 3, 2009, 09:25 PM
Cabelas and Midway USA carry Boyd's stocks. My last one was cheaper through Cabelas

kyle1974
March 3, 2009, 11:00 PM
PM sent...

fireroad
March 4, 2009, 12:03 AM
Cabelas doesn't carry replacements for the mountain stocks, I haven't checked midway but it's doubtful.

Scorch
March 4, 2009, 12:07 AM
Richards MicroFit Stocks will make you a Rem 700 stock with the Mountain Rifle barrel contour. You'll have to finish it yourself or have someone else do it, but they make the stock you are looking for.
www.rifle-stocks.com

Waterengineer
March 4, 2009, 09:10 AM
Seems counter-intuitive you want to take a nice light-weight carry rifle and put a big ol' heavy laminated stock on it.

Sure you can do it but why? Looks? Tryin' to make a bench rifle? I don't get it.

Maybe you would be better served to sell/trade the rifle and get one for the (untold) use you are trying to get to.

fireroad
March 4, 2009, 11:35 AM
Seems counter-intuitive you want to take a nice light-weight carry rifle and put a big ol' heavy laminated stock on it.

Sure you can do it but why? Looks? Tryin' to make a bench rifle? I don't get it.

Maybe you would be better served to sell/trade the rifle and get one for the (untold) use you are trying to get to.

It's not counter intuitive at all, I think you are reading too much into a rather simple question. I never mentioned bench rest or heavy stocks, in fact I specifically stated I'm looking for the mountian rifle stock.

I'm trying to replace a damaged lightweight wood mountian stock with a lightweight laminate mountain stock. The stock has to be replaced, and if I can go with a weather resistant stock of (almost) equal weight....why not? I cover long distances on foot when I hunt and a laminate would open up more opportunities (like not ending a hunt early for rain). The mountian rifle is very popular, so somebody has to be making OEM replacement stocks other than remington.

Scorch - I thought about Richard's, but I have heard alot of bad press about their work as of late (lond delays, slow shipments, no one answering the phone, poor inletting).

Scorch
March 4, 2009, 12:00 PM
I thought about Richard's, but I have heard alot of bad press about their work as of late Their long lead time turns a lot of folks off, but apparently not the folks who are ordering and causing the long lead times. Last time I spoke with them, lead times were 16 weeks for non-stock items. That is a long time to wait for product these days. Richards is a small shop, and no, there is no one to answer the phones. Their product and the workmanship is good. As far as inletting goes, if you buy a "press-fit" stock, you will need sandpaper and scrapers to fully inlet the stock. I use their stocks, I think they are a very good stock for the money. That said, they are not a "drop-in" stock, but I don't believe in those, kind of like the tooth fairy and pro-gun Democrats.

Seems counter-intuitive you want to take a nice light-weight carry rifle and put a big ol' heavy laminated stock on it.Not all laminated stocks are chunky and clunky like the ones you see on Savage rifles. You can build a very strong, lightweight stock with laminated wood.

jmr40
March 4, 2009, 12:34 PM
I know you do not want synthetic, but even if you find a factory laminated stock made for the Mountain Rifle it will be heavier than the walnut stock currently on you rifle. As Scorch said it is possible to have a fairly light weight laminated stock, but other than the factory version all that I have seen are designed as heavy stocks.

It may take a while, but I still think your best bet is to keep looking for a factory takeoff stock. Will probably be the cheapest route as well. I have seen them for sale because a lot of guys wanting a lightweight buy them and replace with synthetic.

fireroad
March 4, 2009, 12:57 PM
Scorch - Good to hear a positive review of Richards. I had read of one OP who used Richard's for years but now has gone to Boyds because of the 16 week lag for all items, not just non-stock.

jmr40 - I have been looking religiously for a take-off, but since Bell & Carlson stopped making the their mountian rifle synthetic the take-offs market (at least for what I'm looking for) is pretty slim.

Thanks all for the help and advice!