PDA

View Full Version : Cold Barrel Shot Delema

HSU308
February 24, 2009, 04:06 PM
Rem 700ADL 308win (synthetic stock)

My last 4 cold barrel shots have been almost exactly 5 inches to the right of the center of the target @ 100yd, (I have a nice steady rest and feel good about the shot). The second shots have been 2 inches to the right. After the initial first two shot everything comes to the center and my groupings are good again (near or less than 1 in.)

My rifle just started doing this a week ago. I clean my rifle after each trip to the range and the last time I clean it with copper solvent (it didn't help)

Any theories or similar case stories would be greatly appreciated, Thank You.

garryc
February 24, 2009, 04:18 PM
If it didn't do this before then something has changed. A sythetic stock doesnt warp so I'd start off by checking the action screws. Then I would put it on a bench and check the bore sight, fire one round then check it again and see if it moved. Then I'd take the scope off and see if it does it with irons. Process of elimination.

Of course if you changed anything about how you are shooting you may be causing the stock to contact the barrel with differant pressure or pressure at a differant angle.

taylorce1
February 24, 2009, 04:25 PM
Don't clean it next time, and when you go back to the range see where it shoots. Most rifle sends fliers with clean bores, leave it fouled or just shoot a couple of fouling shots before you start shooting for groups. Your rifle might just need a couple of shots to settle in after a good cleaning.

I don't clean my hunting rifles once I confirm zero with the load I'm using until after the hunting season is over.

garryc
February 24, 2009, 04:31 PM
I don't clean my hunting rifles once I confirm zero with the load I'm using until after the hunting season is over.

Me niether. But he said he's been doing the same all along, so something has changed. One of the thing would be to shoot it, let it go completely cold ( like it sits for an hour), then shoot it again and see if it repeats. If it does then it has little to do with bore condition.

HSU308
February 24, 2009, 04:31 PM
I didn't change anything. I tried not cleaning. thanks for the tips, (keepum coming)

If my action screw where loose would it only through off the first couple of shots?

HSU308
February 24, 2009, 04:36 PM
I thought it might be my scope, so I call Leupold and asked them if it was possible that the reticle was screwed up but they informed me that my shots would be all over the place, not in one given direction. most likely not the scope I guess.

garryc
February 24, 2009, 04:42 PM
If you still have the irons yank the scope and try it with irons. If it does it most likely its action screws or a bedding issue. I've seen guns go sour only to find that a stick or small stone got stuck between the barrel and stock. If it doesn't do it then its scope or mount. Don't believe Leupold nessesarily, scopes and mounts going bad can do lots of weird stuff. While your at it, since you are using a loopy, better check the paralax.

bcarver
February 24, 2009, 04:45 PM
You have two new conditions; a clean bore and a cold bore.
They may be working in conjunction to cause this shift in point of impact.
Clean bore. Shoot the number of shots until it is shooting good groups.
From what you said 3 or 4.
Set the gun aside until it is cold cold cold.
Check cold barrel point of impact.
This will eliminate and "clean/oily bore" affect on the shot.
I am assuming this is a hunting gun.
All shots will be cold bore so set your sights to this point.

HSU308
February 24, 2009, 04:48 PM
I'll try letting it cool like you said, if that doesn't work I'll take it apart and see if any foreign object are present, thanks. (Have to wait until this weekend... sucks)