PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose between two classic 9mm handgun clones

Soupah
February 24, 2009, 03:52 PM
I needed a fast response on this so I've posted my plea for advice in a couple places. Long story short is that I need to choose between two 9mm clones and I can't step back and get perspective anymore, I need somebody to tell me which is the better deal.

I can either get a used $250 FEG PJK-9HP hi power clone, OR a used $320 Taurus PT92C (compact) beretta clone. Both are in similar condition. My only other 9mm is a Glock 26.

Which would you get & why?

Brian Pfleuger
February 24, 2009, 04:36 PM
A quick search shows mostly good reviews for both but more so for the Taurus. So, if I were in a pinch and had to choose, I'd go Taurus but I'd also hope for some advice beyond one guy on the internet who's never shot either one.

Dabull
February 24, 2009, 04:37 PM
Other than caliber, they aren't too similar. Do you want DA/SA or SA Only? I don't recall the 92C as being very compact, but the 9HP certainly isn't. 9HP will require a mag safety removal to improve the trigger. 92C is probably good as is. The 9HP used to go for $200 new...not sure they should have "appreciated" in price over the years.

Webleymkv
February 24, 2009, 04:47 PM
The Hi-Power is the more "classic" of the two so that's what I'd go for.

JBriggs
February 24, 2009, 04:48 PM
I had some experience with the Taurus, and I found it to be a decent shooter.

Sevens
February 24, 2009, 05:59 PM
The Taurus is a very good gun, and likely one of the best models Taurus has ever made. Yes, there's no doubt that Taurus has had it's share of problem children, but this one isn't one of them, this one is a decent pistol. Believe it or don't, there are plenty of folks who prefer the Taurus 92/99 to the Beretta because of the better frame-mounted safety setup, though you will likely get a better trigger and fit and finish out of the Beretta.

The FEG Hi-Power clone I have not actually had my hands around, but I've read a couple different reviews of them... and I'm not talking about a glossy magazine review, but rather a review of some real HP freaks who know their gear and detailed their experiences with the FEG. It seems like there's a decent pistol in there, but it takes a little work to get along with it.

IMO, I would consider the FEG for that the little amount of money you are talking about, but I would expect a pistol that needs a lot of massaging to make it worthwhile. The Taurus, IMO, is a much better pistol out of the box.

Really, I'm not sure why you are choosing either of these while you do have the G26. Why not save the cash, add some to it, and go a different route for something else you can use?

JohnPaul
February 24, 2009, 06:10 PM
+1 for the taurus

azredhawk44
February 24, 2009, 06:16 PM
I'd save my $300 and wait until I had about $500.

Then I'd get a CZ-75 of whatever type tickled my fancy. No point to buying cheap/worse guns than the perfectly good one you're carrying right now.

mflf2
February 24, 2009, 09:27 PM
For around $400 you might be able to buy a brand new Taurus Millenium Pro 9 mm. Try Impact Guns. I have good experience with them.

Rinspeed
February 24, 2009, 09:28 PM
Look for one of the Sig 225s/P6.