PDA

View Full Version : Ran across the new Colt Delta Elite today

Playboypenguin
February 24, 2009, 03:36 AM
I was a my dealer making a payment on my Colt Anaconda and he had just received a new Colt Delta Elite. It looks like Colt is doing a bang up job on these. The one I handled today was super well put together. It took all the self control I had to not put it on lay-a-way. :o

hoytinak
February 24, 2009, 03:36 AM
I was gonna ask....when you picking it up? :D

AZAK
February 24, 2009, 04:13 AM
So, the big question is: how much is the asking price for the Delta Elite?
Colt does not even have it up on their website.

Playboypenguin
February 24, 2009, 04:29 AM
It was just under $1k. If I remember right it was $969.

AZAK
February 24, 2009, 05:30 AM
Thanks!

ohen cepel
February 24, 2009, 06:04 AM
Good to hear that one is actually out! I've been so disappointed in trying to buy Colts over the last several years that I just wrote them off.

I hope they continue and put out more product. Would be great to have them back in full force.

RickB
February 24, 2009, 12:29 PM
Someone on another forum reported seeing one, and members seemed to almost be trying to persuade him it was an old one. Colt does work in mysterious ways.

sundance43.5
February 24, 2009, 06:30 PM
Looks like I might be expanding into 10mm after all!

Wildalaska
February 24, 2009, 06:31 PM
Yeah baby!!!!!!

WildsoonsoonAlaska ™

Austin HiPowers
February 24, 2009, 09:27 PM
When are they gonna update their website with their actual products?

Tamara
February 24, 2009, 10:23 PM
It looks like Colt is doing a bang up job on these. The one I handled today was super well put together.

That's a relief. The ones at Colt's booth at the NRA show in Louisville last year looked like hammered dookie. I was saddened. You'd think if you were going to have a demo gun out where it would be fingered by the media that you'd take the time to fit the grip safety and extractor a little better than your average Taurus or RIA... :o (Srsly. There was, like, three feet of extractor hanging out of the back of the slide.)

RickB
February 25, 2009, 12:39 PM
I heard the ones at the '09 SHOT show WERE twenty years old. The XSE versions shown in '08 looked very nice.

Tamara
February 25, 2009, 12:49 PM
I heard the ones at the '09 SHOT show WERE twenty years old. The XSE versions shown in '08 looked very nice.

This wasn't at SHOT, it was in Louisville. The guns I looked at were definitely in an "XSE"-type configuration.

Again, knowing that these guns were out there to be fingered by people who knew what they were looking at, what was Colt's thinking? If I'm going to put a demo model of a kilobuck 1911 out for people to fondle, I'm going to take the time to fit the grip safety so it's not snug on one side and sporting a gap you could drop a quarter in on the other, knowhatImean?

Wildalaska
February 25, 2009, 12:51 PM
Srsly. There was, like, three feet of extractor hanging out of the back of the slide.)

Thats probably because the firing pin was out

WildintsallinterrelatedAlaska TM

SilentHitz
February 25, 2009, 12:53 PM
(Srsly. There was, like, three feet of extractor hanging out of the back of the slide.) The new buttstock option maybe?;)

Tamara
February 25, 2009, 01:03 PM
Thats probably because the firing pin was out

No, Wildalaska, that was not the cause. There was a stub of an FP, and even if there wasn't, the FP stop would have secured the extractor. And the FP certainly did not have anything to do with the slop in the trigger fit or the grip safety. Thank you for playing, though. :rolleyes:

(Hey, I've still got two bare frames in the basement, an RRA and a FedOrd. Wanna come over and play "Let's build another 1911!" with me?)

azredhawk44
February 25, 2009, 01:08 PM
So when are you gonna get some in, WA? You've been talking about a new Colt DE coming out for maybe 6 months now.

I just bought my first pony 2 weeks ago (Commander Lightweight), but I could be convinced to blow some dough on one of these too.

AZRedhawkwhyaren'tyouthefirstwithoneofthesethings?44

Wildalaska
February 25, 2009, 01:31 PM
There was a stub of an FP, and even if there wasn't, the FP stop would have secured the extractor. And the FP certainly did not have anything to do with the slop in the trigger fit or the grip safety. Thank you for playing, though

You welcome. I'm sure that when they tossed some parts together as a demo they really werent concerned. Sort of like our show Copilot thats built so sloppy it wont shoot....And you know what I mean about the FP, you just want to argue with me :)

(Hey, I've still got two bare frames in the basement, an RRA and a FedOrd. Wanna come over and play "Let's build another 1911!" with me?)

I have been waiting for that invite for years :) Can it wait till my next trip back East? I'll go on a diet! You got a milling machine I hope.....

WildihavetotellswmboimleavingAlaska ™

Like the doorbell will ring, I'll be there with a bag ful of ed brown parts, a file, a Barsto, my Totoro hat...O my gawd where is my cologne, my gun oil, I feel like a 14 year old at my first prom! Note to self...brush tooth!

Playboypenguin
February 25, 2009, 01:45 PM
WildihavetotellswmboimleavingAlaska
Won't the electronic tag the Parks and Wildlife department put on you to track the migration and mating habits of the rare (thank goodness) WildAlaskan go off if you cross out of Alaskan territory? Couldn't they just tell her? :D

Wildalaska
February 25, 2009, 01:49 PM
Won't the electronic tag the Parks and Wildlife department put on you to track the migration and mating habits of the rare (thank goodness) WildAlaskan go off if you cross out of Alaskan territory?

Its not the Parks and Wildlife tag...its the Fed Chip

WildonlygoesoffifiamgunbuyingAlaska ™

sneaky1
February 25, 2009, 07:47 PM
Note to self...brush tooth!

TOOTH? eh, just one....

Now that is a funny/scary image.

Bart Noir
February 25, 2009, 08:45 PM
A kilobuck for a Delta Elite?

OK, I like Colt 1911s and have several. But that is twice the price of the Witness 10mm I fondled, er, closely examined, just yesterday. And that had some sorta electroless nickel finish.

Bart Noir
Who expects to soon learn the opinions of several others, concerning Witness products.

Tamara
February 25, 2009, 10:04 PM
Here's some 10mm Witness joy (http://turonistan.blogspot.com/2009/02/cracked-slide.html) for you. :)

IZinterrogator
February 26, 2009, 01:13 AM
Wild, is Colt making any blued Deltas or stainless only?

Wildalaska
February 26, 2009, 01:25 AM
Stainless only I think

WildbuthenagainmyhtoughtsaredisjointedAlaska TM

IZinterrogator
February 26, 2009, 01:38 AM
:(

Back to Gunbroker to search through the used ones, I guess...

Stevie-Ray
February 26, 2009, 01:40 AM
I hope I don't run across one. I don't need a stainless one parked next to my blued one, and that's probably what'll happen. Price is steep though, ouch!

CWO4USCGRET
March 3, 2009, 06:10 PM
http://iwantthatknife.com/Gallery/albums/EBR/delta_elite_2.jpg

ElectricHellfire
March 3, 2009, 06:27 PM
The launch sequence has started....

Sgt Pepper
March 3, 2009, 10:19 PM
Hhm, oog, aag, me like. me caveman trade fire and wheel for new delta elite.

vox rationis
March 3, 2009, 10:40 PM
Very nice, but if I had to pick a picayune issue I'd say that I don't know if I'm diggin' the grips

Playboypenguin
March 3, 2009, 10:51 PM
All I can say is that some people are just jerks...and I hope a hot 10mm shell casing goes down the front of their shirts. :D ;)

AZAK
March 4, 2009, 04:07 AM
Aside from a different texture on the wrap around grips, looks just like the "original" stainless Delta Elite from the past. They even went with the "pre-enchanced" serrations angle, hammer, grip safety, etc... I personally prefer the original texture grips.

I did not see any other differences. Quite a bit different than the 2008 Delta Elite images that have been running around for a while.

Edit: after taking a more detailed look, mag release on "original" is different than 09 pictured above.

CWO4USCGRET
March 5, 2009, 12:38 PM
on issue to resolve will be to somehow knockdown some sharp edges on the frame and slide...sharp enough to almost shave with...

shadowbolt
March 9, 2009, 01:50 PM
Hey CWO,
Here's some company for yours. Uncleaned out of the bag.:D

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/shadowbolt03/NewDE10MM002.jpg

Playboypenguin
March 9, 2009, 01:53 PM
shadowbolt and CWO,

How is the build quality on your Elites? The one I handles was exceptionally good.

PS: I hate you both. :D

shadowbolt
March 9, 2009, 01:57 PM
Compared to what? My 87'?:p

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/shadowbolt03/87DE002.jpg

Playboypenguin
March 9, 2009, 01:59 PM
Compared to what? My 87'?
That, or just in general. I had the opportunity to inspect both a new one and an older one in the past couple of weeks inside and out. The new production model was superior in fit and finish to the original. :)

shadowbolt
March 9, 2009, 02:04 PM
I haven't taken apart my 09' yet. General appearance. I think they look the same. One thing though my 87' clip fit right in there and actually ejected better than the new one.

Also I like the newer wrap around grip rather than the pebble. I took off my pebble and put the newer ones on. Just in case your wondering about price. I paid $884.95 + tax. I've seen on GB people paying more than $1000

CWO4USCGRET
March 28, 2009, 12:57 PM
disassembeled, cleaned, reassembled then to the range for some shooting...

Not a single misfire, fail to feed, or fail to extract. I'm going to keep it...

Dash
March 28, 2009, 01:06 PM
argh, i wish those were available here. sweet gun

AZAK
March 28, 2009, 02:46 PM
So, are they still using a plastic guide rod with the two recoil spring set up in the new ones?

Austin HiPowers
March 29, 2009, 06:58 PM
I mentioned it before. I wish Colt updated their website. It doesn't give any information about their current products. It is really needs an update.
I am very interested in the new Delta, and get more info by reading other members post then I get from checking their website.:rolleyes:

kentucky_smith
March 29, 2009, 07:19 PM
Those are the same grips on my newly purchased Gold Cup, except for the medallion.

How is the recoil plug tunnel on your slides? They seem to have fixed the slide rub issue on most new guns, including my Gold Cup. It's also the best fit and finished Colt I've seen in a while with a FANDANGTASTIC trigger. Glad to see Colt fix what's been broken for awhile now.

OldCorp
March 30, 2009, 09:35 AM
Is that one of the new-model black plastic triggers? That would have to GO.

RickB
March 30, 2009, 11:09 AM
I don't think Colt's used plastic triggers in ten years; unless they've just gone back to them?

Auto426
March 30, 2009, 02:36 PM
Colt has been using black anodized aluminum triggers in place of the plastic ones for quite some time now.

I only wish that they would color match the triggers to the guns. Black looks fine with a blued gun, but out of place on their stainless guns. It's not that big of an issue though.

I'm still saving up to get a new Stainless 1991 Government model. Hopefully by the time I'm finished their will be a few left, as demand for Colts and pretty much every other gun has skyrocketed.

Playboypenguin
April 6, 2009, 01:39 AM
My dealer supposedly has a new Delta Elite arriving tomorrow. I am going to go check it out. :)

AZAK
April 6, 2009, 02:04 AM
When you do check it out, can you report back whether or not it has the dual recoil spring assembly with the plastic guide rod like the original? Don't know if your gun store likes tearing down the merchandise to that degree or not, I personally will not seriously consider buying a gun without taking it down - new or used, and will not buy from anyone who does not allow either them or me to field strip a firearm.

I am curious whether or not Colt has gone to a single spring with a metal guide rod. Wolff only sells single recoil springs that need a metal "original" 1911 guide rod, or FLGR works also.

I recently replaced the original Colt set up in my "original" SS DE with a FLGR set up from Wilson Combat, took it to the range, and was tearing one ragged holes with it. Granted my Colt dual coil spring set up was getting closer to being ready to be replaced, but the new set up, including new +10% mag springs from Wolff, seemed to tighten up my DE. I never understood why Colt used the dual spring set up with a small plastic guide rod in a 10mm.

And whatever you do, don't leave the store without it! You got hooked with 10mm starting with your G29, and continued on with DW, it really is far too late to consider turning back now!

Dust Monkey
April 6, 2009, 02:43 AM
Are these new deltas setup with a bull bbl??

troy_mclure
April 6, 2009, 11:17 AM
i saw a silver one, and black one at a recent gun show.

she had them listed for $1700! :eek::barf:

shadowbolt
April 6, 2009, 11:54 AM
Were they NIB? I admit I paid $900 for my 88' Delt Elite and it also came with 5 Colt clips. I paid more for the old one than I did the new ones.

brucea4
April 6, 2009, 11:55 AM
FIGURES....I just got a 38 super Colt XSE & love it....thought it would be the last handgun I buy for a while and now they have to come out with this beautiful Combat Elite...........:(

shadowbolt
April 6, 2009, 12:11 PM
Here's a double take for your viewing pleasure:D

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/shadowbolt03/TWODE002.jpg

Playboypenguin
April 6, 2009, 11:19 PM
When you do check it out, can you report back whether or not it has the dual recoil spring assembly with the plastic guide rod like the original?
It does. I will probably spend $12 and replace it with a metal Ed brown guide rod. :)

AZAK
April 7, 2009, 01:13 AM
I will probably spend $12 and replace it with a metal Ed brown guide rod.

I have got one of those in my bag too. It works; however, I do seem to like the Wilson FLGR (#25 I think?). Take down is a bit more work, not much but a little, still don't use a wrench. But, I just seem to get tighter groups with the Wilson. (Could be me, could be me convincing myself that it works this way, could be luck, regardless my groups are tighter with the Wilson so that is the one in the gun and the Brown is in the bag.) I have FLGRs in some and "original" length guide rods in others, just seems that my DE likes the Wilson FLGR.

So, did a Colt follow you home today?

Playboypenguin
April 7, 2009, 01:15 AM
So, did a Colt follow you home today?
No, it is being held until I can come up with the bail money. :)

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350170

AZAK
April 7, 2009, 01:37 AM
No, it is being held until I can come up with the bail money.

Maybe some of the other "residents" under the Morrison Street Bridge will be willing to pitch in! You may just find that there are a few other "gun collectors" there too! (I know that if I had just one iota less of self-control, when it comes to buying guns, you could find me there and hit me up for a few bucks! Well at least it would be warmer than living under a bridge here, our cardboard boxes, as everyone knows, are igloos!)

Stevie-Ray
April 7, 2009, 06:59 PM
I admit I paid $900 for my 88' Delt Elite :eek:Yow, that's over double what I paid for mine NIB back in the 80s.:cool:

brucea4
April 7, 2009, 07:03 PM
Sorry boys....I confused the Delta with the " Combat Elite "......that's the one I want..............

shadowbolt
April 7, 2009, 07:59 PM
I bought the 88' this year. I too had a 87' DE nib and paid around $500. Sold it in the early 90's. Kickn' myself for that.

I just picked up 3 Colt mags for the new DE. $40 bucks a pop.