PDA

View Full Version : I bought it...now what can I do with it?

tooldawg99
February 18, 2009, 04:45 PM
This lil Beauty... er... maybe Ugly Duckling... just called out to me while visiting a local gun shop today. Always been a fan of the Enfields, so this seemed like a good idea... what do you think?

It is an Enfield 2A Ishapore refurbed in 1968, chambered in 308. I have read tons about the higher strength metals used for these rifles, and have every confidence that they can shoot any commecial 308 or Nato 7.62 round with no problem at all. It has been sporterized: 18 inch barrel, synthetic black stock, and flash suppressor. Should hold 12 rounds of 308, and since both sights have been removed, it has a general purpose 9x30 Blazer scope, still to be sighted in by yours truly. The barrel is immaculate: good grooves, mirror bright and no pitting or rust. The exterior has pretty much been spray painted black. I probably need to strip it and have it glavanized.

My thinking was it could do well as general purpose truck gun, might be too much for hogs, perhaps too short a barrel for deer, but some range time will tell me about accuracy at 100 and 200 yards very soon.

Aside from all that, I'm really not sure why I bought it! Maybe the price tag of $150 just seemed too decent to pass up... I am hoping my range time will prove this to be a good add to the arsenal!

ThomasT
February 18, 2009, 04:56 PM
might be too much for hogs, perhaps too short a barrel for deer

WHAT? You can't have too much gun for hogs. And deer don't care what length your barrel is.

I think that is one tough looking gun. I think you did just fine. Especially getting it in 308. That ought to be a hunting gun delux. Personally I would like to have open sights. You could have them added for a hundred bucks or less. But heck, maybe not, just keep a good scope on it. I would put a 2x7 on it if it were mine.

Be sure and do a post on how it groups.

taylorce1
February 18, 2009, 05:02 PM
First off judging by the second picture, I would loosen the rings holding the scope and rotate it 90 degrees. The way it is mounted now the Windage adjustment is now the elevation! I might consider stripping all that black paint that is flaking off and spray it with something else for a new finish, I don't think I'd galvanize it however.

Other than that I'd just shoot it until it falls apart.

shooter_john
February 18, 2009, 05:05 PM
That black finish is the original Indian finish (and is a baked enamel, apparently applied via broom), and it comes off nicely with oven cleaner. I have an original Ishapore 2A, and it is an extremely handy little rifle. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to use that little guy for deer hunting... Looks like quite the brush gun to me.

Magnum Wheel Man
February 18, 2009, 05:21 PM
for a good basic gun... I like it... I'd ditch the cheap scope, & IMO, a set of fiber optic ghost ring williams sights would look right in place... again personally I'd probably swap out the composite for a laminate stock, but... the composite stock looks much better than a poorly sporterized military stock...

I'd be happy just to shoot the crab out of it... pig, deer or paper... have fun...

tooldawg99
February 18, 2009, 05:32 PM
yea... I bolted up the scope to check for fit, and realized it was not lined up properly.

I am thinking about after-market sights, but what would you suggest? I love the big Ghost-ring sights on the front, but not sure what can be fabricated for the rear, as there is only the stripper clip guide to mount something on...and I think the scope rail is attached there now.

Suggestions for iron sights?

Thanks

Jekyll
February 18, 2009, 06:42 PM
I agree that the deer don't care about your barrel lenght although, I do know of 1 doe that prefers long barrels. I missed a 24 inch shot on a doe because my rifle was about 2 inches too long. (Yes, he said 24 inches!) I was poking up a deer trail in a thicket and a doe came trotting up behind me. I turned and swung on her as she stepped off the trail to go around me. Just as I fired, the barrel hit a branch and I missed - FROM 24 INCHES. I would have stabbed her with my knife but I tried that before and it doesn't work well. I learned to stick with guns and arrows. Knives and spears are out for me.

The point being, sometimes they are in range for most any rifle and sometimmes they are only in range of 1000 meter target rifles. 18 inches will work just fine if you hunt within its envelope.