PDA

View Full Version : Lee Enfield Dsitance Sight

golfnutrlv
February 16, 2009, 06:14 PM
Alright guys, need some help.

I have a Lee Enfield .303 No. 5 Mk I (Jungle Carbine), from Birmingham Small Arms, mfg 1945.

I need help with how the distance sighting system is used. Its the sight that came with the rifle. I get the basic idea, turn the knob for distance correction, etc. I don't know however, what the numbers represent, how to read them, left side versus right side markings.

Any Enfield folks here who could help me? Going to go shoot the rifle soon, and want to be able to hit the target.

Thanks!

armedtotheteeth
February 16, 2009, 07:36 PM
the one I have had sights for 600 Meters and 1200 Meters.HoLY CRAP!! doing 100 yards shots left me about 35 inches high. I think I had to add 7/16 inch of blade onto the front sight to get the damn thing to shoot reasonable. Then I had to deal with Frankensight up front.
I ended up hacking the silly thing off and putting on a scope. Great guns though. I wore mine out a few times killing yotes with it. I still have that old rifle. I lost my rear sight to it 20 something years ago. Sorry I cant help.

wogpotter
February 17, 2009, 09:38 AM
There are several different versions of the sight, so this is going to be a bit generic.

The fixed sight that you use with the rear sight folded down is designed for shooting Mk VII rounds at a distance of 300 yds. Some have big holes in them, som small. The idea here was a quick reasonably accurate "Battle sight".

Once you flip up the ladder sight you've gone to the "accurate" sight which, as you've figured out is for range compensation.

Zeroing the rifle is the first step. At the least you'll need to check the zero is correct.

The rifle should shoot either dead on at 200 yds with the rear sight set so that the index (line) on the adjustable part set to "2" (200yds.) That comes out to 1 1/2" high @ 100yds.
If it doesn't then you will need to make changes & adjustments to the front sight till it does.

Assuming you're zeroed then heres how the rear sight is used.

Each "click" is 1/2" at 100yds.
The markings are ranges in yards, the numbers are the 100yd increments, the lines just above each number are +50yds from the number just below it.

(I don't know how well this is going to post for allignment, so bear with me a bit here.)

1300yds......13
1250yds.................. -
1200yds..................12
1150yds......-
1100yds......11
1050yds...................-
1000yds...................10

and so on. Thet alternate left-right-left just to keep them clearer to read.

You will notice that there are more "clicks per distance" as the range increases, this is to allow for the increasing amount of adjustment needed as range increases.

If the rear sight is the correct one for a #5 there will be a few differences.
Maximum will be "6" 600yds.
There will be no +50 marks, just the alternating 1, 2, 3, 4 indicating ranges in 100yd increments.

golfnutrlv
February 17, 2009, 12:22 PM
wogpotter,

Thanks for the informative post. My sight soes appear to be the Mk 5 stock, as far as I can tell. There are no 1/2 marks, and the markings start of the left side of the side like so:

There are several clicks in between each number marker. I assume these are 200-800 yard ranges.

If I do have to adjust the front sight, I might need some help. No knowledge on sighting in the enfield. Believe it or not, last time I shot it I was so young it nearly knowcked me on my rear!

The range I will be shooting at goes to 300 yards, depending on the day. I will see if I can get it accurate at 2-300 yards.

If you have any other info, pass it along! Thanks!!!:)

Tikirocker
February 17, 2009, 02:41 PM
The max scaled distance for the No5 Mk1 sight is 800 yards - you have the correct No5 Mk1 sight it seems.

Tiki.

wogpotter
February 18, 2009, 11:09 AM
If you need to adjust the front sight there are two things.
If you're out vertically the blade will need to be swapped out for a taller or shorter one. They come in several different heights & there is a mark on the base of the blade to tell you which height you have. It should look like this [[ .06 , or maybe -.15 ]] that is the height above or below "00".
Left right uses the incredibly precise & complex method of hammering the blade to the left or right.:eek:.

Just kidding there, sorta. Gentle taps to move the blade slightly is what's really needed, but it is a "suck it & see" adjustment. Remember that the front sight needs to move opposite the direction of movment required.