PDA

View Full Version : ruger 22 hornets

SuperTodd
February 14, 2009, 04:02 PM
Since I have just about shot out my H&R 157 22 hornet, that I have had for over 20 yrs(how time flys) I was looking into getting a newer hornet. A friend of a friend knows a guy that might be selling both a ruger #3 and a 77-22 hornet. I would love to get the #3, I just don't know what he is going to sale them for. What is a good asking price for like new condition on both.

I have read about lots of problems with the 77/22 hornets, I know one guy that has one and has no complaints. So are some better than others.

lets hear your 22 hornet cents worth

ThomasT
February 14, 2009, 06:16 PM
I didn't know you could shoot out a Hornet. How many rounds do you think you have fired? Couldn't you just send it to H&R and have a new barrel fitted?

I can't help you on the Ruger 77 hornets. I have also read on the internet that ruger 77/22 rimfires are only so-so in the accuracy department.

I found a 77/22 used made in 1987. I took a chance. With Federal bulk it will stay around 3/4" at 50 yards. I was shooting it about three weeks ago at 30 yards. The first 4 shots were dead center all in the same hole. The hole was just slightly oblong. I pulled the fifth shot and that made it a 3/8" 5 shot group. That was also using a cheap 4X Bushnell scope. I have a couple of new minis that shoot much better than internet experts said they would.

Now when I read on the internet that a gun wont group the first thing I think is that the poster can't shoot. I would bet that a Ruger 22 hornet shoots much better than you have been told.

SuperTodd
February 14, 2009, 07:18 PM
I got it used and I estimated two years ago I have over 10K rounds through it. What hurt it was shooting some old miltary ammo that I think was corrosive. The bore got small pits. That and this was my rifle I carried when running trapline in the winter so it was exposed to all kind of weather. I shot a 1000 rounds in a 4 day period in eastern oregon shooting sage rats and squirrels when I was in HS. I took a huge blacktail deer once with it one head shot and it was down when I was 15. I have a 22-250, but its the hornet I grab when plinking, predator calling, or just out messing around.

The new H&R company owned by marlin is different from the old H&R and the new company will not do barrels for the old ones. I have looked for a new barrel and cant find one. :-(

Big Caliber
February 14, 2009, 09:04 PM
I bought a Ruger 77/22 Hornet varmint model used from a friend. He wanted a bigger caliber. He let me shoot his handloads through it before offering it for sale. I shot 2 groups of 5 each, both into < 1" at 100yds. Condition was like new. I found no scratches, dings, scrapes, or anything cosmetically lacking on it. He let me have it for $400, no scope, but threw in 500 pieces of fire formed brass and a set of Redding dies. The rings that came with the rifle were too low for me so they got replaced. I don't know anything about the #3.

.300 Weatherby Mag
February 14, 2009, 11:29 PM
If I was going to buy a .22 hornet right now and didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on something custom...... I would get a Savage model 40... Here's a review...

http://www.gunblast.com/Savage_Model40.htm

HiBC
February 15, 2009, 12:17 AM
I don't know for sure,but if you like your rifle and just need a fresh bore,relining might be an option.

44 AMP
February 15, 2009, 05:53 AM
But I have't shot it very much. Lately I have seen them at gun shows for about $750, but that was last year, before Obamanation. A bit shocking for me then, as I only paid $450 for mine a couple years before.

texfar
February 15, 2009, 08:46 AM
Can't speak for the Ruger 77/22, but I own an old #3 (95+%) and would not trade it for the world. It is a very handy carbine single shot and is very accurate now. If you can find one in good shape, as in 95% they can run as high as 600-700 bucks. Just remember, they don't make them any more. If you can get the #3 for a reasonable price, jump on it. If you buy it PM me and I will give you some accuracy tips to get it shooting not good, but great.
Ken:D

SuperTodd
February 15, 2009, 01:02 PM
supose to meet the guy next saturday, so I will let you know if I get it.

Tom Matiska
February 15, 2009, 01:11 PM
I have a stainless/laminated stock 77/22 and have no complaints.

Crankylove
February 15, 2009, 11:35 PM
My 77/22 Hornet is blued with the walnut stock, and shoots 3/4" groups at 100 yds with a cheap Tasco scope from Wally World :barf:. I have heard bad things about the Ruger .22 Hornet rifles as well, but have yet to experience any problems with my rifle, which I have had about three years now.

Magnum Wheel Man
February 16, 2009, 10:03 AM
I would love a #3...

as far as Rugers 22 Hornet bolt actions.. maybe they are getting better, but when the new 77-22 Hornet came out several years ago, I bought a beautyful used CZ 22 Hornet, that shot really well... story is, that it was traded in the day I bought it, & the original owner traded it for a new Ruger, only to show back up 3 days later, wanting his old rifle back ( the CZ definately outshot the new Ruger )... ah... soory dude, that rifle sold the same day you traded it in...:D

the CZ in 22 Hornet or the Browning Micro would make a great choices as well...

BTW... if you like the single shots, the Thompson Contenders aew awesome as well... my scoped 10" Contender has been used on P. Doggies out to 150 yards with good results... I just might have to get a carbine barrel in that caliber as well...

Allan S.
February 17, 2009, 12:40 AM
I Have a 77/22 Hornet stainless matt gray.
I was going to have it punched to a K- hornet but shot it first and decided not to go for the extra 100 fps.
I load 12.6 grains of Lil-gun under a 35 gr V- max.
The rifle handles well and goups very well. The grandsons like it also.
I put a Burris fullfield II 3x9 on top. Very handy and fun.
Allan

tuck2
February 17, 2009, 06:14 AM
Now that we can get a moderen case 221 Fireball ,why is the 22 Hornet popular ???-I stoped using my Kimber Mdl 82 Hornet since getting the Rem 700 Fireball. I find the Fireball much eazer to reload than the long tapered thin Hornet case. I get a lot more reloads from the Fireball case. One can load mild loads with the Fireball and not have much muzzle blast than with the Hornet..

B.L.E.
February 17, 2009, 07:10 AM
My Ruger No. 1 in .22 Hornet seems to shoot pretty good when loaded with 13 grains of Li'l Gun and 40 grain Sierra hollow point bullets.

Here's a 100 yard 10 shot group shot at an indoor range.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u260/ben_eberle/IMG_0132.jpg

flashhole
February 17, 2009, 05:41 PM
I like the Fireball too. This is my Rem 700 LVSF, I changed out the stock with a Boyd's Laminate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/NewStock2.jpg

Here's a photo showing (left to right) the Fireball, 218 Bee, and 22 Hornet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/Smalltrio1.jpg

SuperTodd
February 20, 2009, 01:37 PM
I always see loads with 13 grns of Lil-gun the Win. brass I have is completely full with 13 grns is this a compressed load. I use 12.3 just to make setting the bullet easier

dgludwig
February 20, 2009, 03:07 PM
What hurt it was shooting some old miltary ammo that I think was corrosive.

Where are (were) you getting military .22 Hornet ammunition?

WIN71
February 20, 2009, 04:24 PM
Here's what a guy over on the Shooters Forum had to say about it back in 2006.
I've never seen any for sale. It was produced for some of the aircraft survival rifles and combination guns.
The rifle is a standard grade and factory stock. Long ago, I came upon a batch of 22 Hornet military loaded ammo. Half the case was 45 gr FMJ, the other half was 46 gr Open Point ammo. All loaded by Winchester. I believe the ammo was designed for the little M4 (?) survival rifle. The ammo was in white boxes and the hunting ammo had a warning that is was not to be use for combat purposes.

That was the most accurate ammo I have ever owned or loaded for my rifle. It would shoot 3/4 MOA all day long at 100 yds.

dgludwig
February 20, 2009, 07:32 PM
Interesting. I've never heard of .22 Hornet military ammo being made available to the public, certainly not in any large quantities. Learn something (maybe) every day.

B.L.E.
February 20, 2009, 07:40 PM
I always see loads with 13 grns of Lil-gun the Win. brass I have is completely full with 13 grns is this a compressed load. I use 12.3 just to make setting the bullet easier

Yes it is compressed. I have Remington cases which I believe have slightly more internal volume. Thirteen grains of Li'l Gun fills the case just about 1/8 inch short of overflowing. Winchester cases may not hold as much or so I hear, I don't have any Winchester cases on hand so I don't know for sure.

Also, I neck size only, not full length resizing may allow for an extra grain of powder.

Singlesix1954
February 20, 2009, 10:14 PM
I have a #1-A in Hornet. Likes 35gn V-max over 11gn of h110. @ 100yds off the bench, 3 shot group is one raged hole. There is nothing else to say about that. Go buy the #3... or tell me where it is.

SuperTodd
February 21, 2009, 09:40 AM
A small gun shop had around 200 rounds of it, I shot all of it around 20 years ago. I have a couple of loose rounds around somewhere to see what the head stamp was. If memory serves me I think it was wcc from the 50's. I also think it was a light bullet if memory serves me correctly.

garryc
February 21, 2009, 10:02 AM
I have a buddy with a 77/22 hornet. The best he ever got out of it was about 1.2". This guy knows his stuff whaen it comes to rifles and reloading, if he got that out of it then that is the best it would do!

He rechambered to 22 K-Hornet and neck sizes, now he's getting sub 1/2". That shoulder makes a big differance.

B.L.E.
February 21, 2009, 11:14 AM
He rechambered to 22 K-Hornet and neck sizes, now he's getting sub 1/2". That shoulder makes a big differance.

My understanding is that when you ream the chamber to .22 K-Hornet, you have a round that headspaces on the shoulder instead of the rim. On cartriages that headspace on the rim, if that headspace is excessive, not only will your accuracy be mediocre, but you get a lot of case stretch and short case life. With a neck sized only K-Hornet, after the case is fire formed to your chamber, you get essentially zero headspace.

The regular Hornet does have a shoulder but it is so shallow that the cartriage can't effectively use it to headspace on.

This probably is why an accurate Hornet is such a crap shoot. If the rim headspace it on the loose side, neck sizing won't help much.

Or, it could be something completely different.

garryc
February 21, 2009, 12:50 PM
The regular Hornet does have a shoulder but it is so shallow that the cartriage can't effectively use it to headspace on.

You are mostly correct. Lets take the 303 brit for example. They are made with battle chambers and only the rim is head spaced. They have a shoulder, but it does not contact anything. If you fire the round and then only neck size it you have a whole nother ball game. Case capacity increases and the shoulder fits better.

SuperTodd
February 23, 2009, 03:32 PM
but I did get a new in box stainless contender frame. now I need to find a 22 hornet cabine barrel and come to think of it a 45-70 barrel and a 45/410 barrel and maybe a 30-30 barrel.

Magnum Wheel Man
February 23, 2009, 03:36 PM
carefull... there is an addiction there... this winter I added 4 new barrels ( & have a couple that have never been made as well )

44 AMP
February 24, 2009, 12:03 AM
for my Contender. If the ones you find shoot as good as mine, you will be happy!

Slasher42
February 24, 2009, 12:44 AM
I see you already got something else...

But wanted to 2nd the suggestion to look into Savage.

My father recently purchased a Savage 22 hornet and it is extremely accurate and fun to shoot... Also the accutrigger savage has is pretty sweet IMO. We thought it'd be fun to shoot one of those little revolving targets that are really made for 22LR or even pellet guns... its 1/4" steel plate... well it now has several large holes in it where the 22H went right threw it. And those new VMAX bullets from Hornady at 3100fps are pretty mean!!!!