PDA

View Full Version : gearing up...

Trapp
February 14, 2009, 01:20 PM
Moving to Kodiak, AK and I am looking for a little advice on what to gear up with for hunting. ie: clothes, boots, packs, etc..

I have never been one to carry a lot of stuff with me when I go treking in the woods, but I am pretty sure this will be a bit different than Florida:eek: where I currently am.

The boots are gonna be a big one for me. I hate big boots. I like flexible soles so i can feel where I am stepping. In fact, down here I hunt strictly in rubber soled, neoprene, slip on moccasins.

Idea's?

armedtotheteeth
February 14, 2009, 02:09 PM
stay where you are, and stay warm. Cold places suck.

Buzzcook
February 14, 2009, 03:08 PM
Prepare for rain and lots of it.

hoghunting
February 15, 2009, 12:11 AM
If you're headed to Alaska, you might want to join this forum:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/

HiBC
February 15, 2009, 12:31 AM
I just about guaratee,if you are going to live there,you will want a pair of hip boots.You figure out which ones,but some hip boots.
And,Gore-tex and the like are fine in many conditions,but have a set of commercilal fisherman grade (Helly Hansen) raingear.

And,you said Kodiak? Myself,I would have a rugged,carry friendly,short,light,.338 or ,375 with iron sights.

elkman06
February 15, 2009, 07:44 PM
While I won't pretend to know about AK,, I do know this. There are critters which weigh much more than you, eat things like you, and will not die readily w/ a .223 round. See where I am going? B.F.G. 1st implement to buy I think.
elkman06

SKULLANDCROSSBONES65
February 15, 2009, 07:55 PM
G'day.
Alaska, wild.:D Or should that be Wild Alaska.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Stay warm, stay in the tropics.:)

bclark1
February 16, 2009, 08:34 AM
I for one will say I think you're doing the right thing. I've only seen Alaska once, and I'd really like to do it again with a lot more time and money. I was there in late spring, when jeans and a softshell were appropriate. However, I'm assuming you're asking more about the cold, as it's probably what you have not dealt with in FL? While I can't speak to Alaska specifically, I have hunted some pretty frigid winters in the upper Midwest. Particularly in Wisconsin I'm stand hunting, that gets pretty painful sometimes.

So I'd say the big thing I'd consider is how you'll be operating in the field. Plan for the worst if you're going to be in stands for long periods of time. You'll get away with a lot less if you're on the move.

I've used both the cheap polyesther/cotton long-john type base layer and a nicer fleece one. I get hotter much faster in the latter when I'm moving, but I won't necessarily stay warm longer in the stand if that makes sense. The wind just has a way of sucking it out of you. I'd like to try one of those Underarmour-type synthetics, as it's very thin and the few shirts I've tried of that material seem to heat up faster during exercise.

Beyond that it's been a lot of trial and error. More error, I guess I'd say - when it gets cold enough, nothing's going to keep you completely warm. I usually go baselayer-shirt-jacket-coat. I try to go 3-layers on the pants, although I'm debating trying to get a super-heavy bib one of these years. Full-face masks can be more comfortable than a hat alone, but throw another hat on top. Bring a couple pairs of gloves, not only for layering but because if you build up moisture faster than it can escape those gloves become very cold. You will unfortunately need to lose the mocassins in favor of some much clunkier boots and layered socks. One piece of advice I've heard but never tried is using a sleeping back in the stand as an outer windbreak - the real recommendation was cut holes in it and wear it upside-down over everything else. Haven't gone that far yet.

Make sure what your butt's on is always padded. Frozen ground will suck heat out of you as fast as anything (also why you need well-insulated boots). If you have a cushion you use for turkey season, that's nice - when I've forgotten that, a couple towels duct taped up to stay folded together also works well.

Hand-warmers are meh. I have a friend who always brings a bunch and gives me a few when he comes out with me. It does feel nice but I don't think it's terribly functional in that the warmth dissipates rapidly when the source is removed and you almost feel colder then.

Proper hydration and snacking also affects felt cold.

Pack's a pack. Only depends on how much gear you need. I find I tend to overpack for daytrips, but whatever. I have a two-pouch Camelbak MULE for smaller packing days and an Arcteryx Charlie for the heavier ones. I'm a big fan of Arcteryx's LEAF line, the Charlie is the commercial version of the new USMC ILBE assault pack, which is about the best-made backpack I've seen. Not necessarily the best on organization, but if you just need to stuff it and know that it'll be there when you go digging again, it's a fairly indestructible option.

Slug shotgun is probably a good inexpensive firearm option that will sort out most of what you'd encounter. If you've got a few more bucks, .40-cal leverguns seem to be popular. I used my friend's goal of getting to Alaska as an excuse to buy a .45/70 Marlin and a .44 mag Ruger. Unfortunately, he's only made it as far as Whidbey Island in Washington, so far, but I regret nothing. For planned hunting (as opposed to spontaneous self-defense), a lot of folks will probably say go with a .30-cal magnum. Certainly not a bad choice, I'm a big believer in the .30/06 though and think that if you're on any kind of budget it will do most of the work pretty readily for you if you're confident and accurate with it.

Of course, the real pros can chime in whenever - I'm at best recommending by analogy. If you want somebody to figure it out with, I'll see what I can do about getting fired and heading up with you. :p

jgcoastie
February 16, 2009, 08:00 PM
Moving to Kodiak, AK and I am looking for a little advice on what to gear up with for hunting. ie: clothes, boots, packs, etc..

I have never been one to carry a lot of stuff with me when I go treking in the woods, but I am pretty sure this will be a bit different than Florida where I currently am.

The boots are gonna be a big one for me. I hate big boots. I like flexible soles so i can feel where I am stepping. In fact, down here I hunt strictly in rubber soled, neoprene, slip on moccasins.

Idea's?

I will tell you what's been working for me for the past 15 months. I grew up in Mississippi, transferred to Kodiak in 07.

As far as boots go, I picked up a pair of Kamik rubber knee-high boots. I got the ones with felt liners as felt will retain heat even when wet, as I've discovered to be true. Last week we went rabbit hunting and the snow got a little deep... Waist deep... When I got back to the truck I poured about a liter of water out of each boot... Feet never got cold... My buddy on the other hand, was miserable with his Irish Setter leather boots with thinsulate... His were soaked and his feet were just about frozen...

I also picked up a Camelbak backpack not the ones that just hold the bladder, but a true backpack with bladder... It's got enough space to hold a spare set of socks, extra ammo, water bottle(the straw for the Camelbak bladder freezes in the winter, great for summer though) first aid kit, map, compass, gps, lighter and steel wool (great for starting a fire when it's wet and it's wet a lot up here) granola bars, etc...

I'll normally carry a tarp and 50ft of double-braid nylon line in case I need to string up shelter in a hurry...

Get a good, two piece, waterproof outer shell for hunting. Get something either lightly insulated, or non insulated. One that has zip-in/out liners would be best as deer season get's kinda warm, but you'll want the waterproof shell come cold weather hunting.

If you plan to do much fishing, hiking, or small-game hunting, I'd recommend that you invest in a somewhat powerful handgun in case you run into a Kodiak Brown Bear with a bad attitude. I don't care what anyone tells you, you are not going to grab your 12ga every time you want to go catch some salmon. Too much weight, too much hassle. Most people recommend .41/.44mags, anything bigger (.460/.500 S&W) is just overkill and wasted money. Personally, I carry a Glock 20 10mm Auto loaded with either 200gr or 230gr WFNGC Beartooth from DoubleTap. You can PM me and I'll give you my number and I'll sell you a box or two, I've got plenty. The 10mm is a much debated round, but it saved my buddy's life in Saltry Cove.

If you're going to do any fishing (you will, the salmon run up here is a sight to see) you'll want a set of good quality chest waders and wading shoes, I'd recommend a set with interchangeable soles (felt, spikes, felt with spikes, rubber) as different rivers have different bottoms. You can get all the fishing gear and more than you'll ever need up here, I use a Ugly Stick and it's served me well.

The #1 survival tool up here is a buddy. Never go hunting, off-roading, or hiking alone. It's preferable that you find a buddy that runs slower than you do, in case Yogi Bear is in a foul mood.

Anything else that you want to know, any more questions that you have about the area, just PM me and I'll hook you up. If I don't know, I'll find out for you. Kodiak is the best kept secret in America, the best place on earth if you ask me. Safe travels.

Also, are you a Coastie?