PDA

View Full Version : Star Ultrastar vs. Star Firestar

kpbeckel
February 11, 2009, 08:22 PM
Just wondering if anyone has a first hand opinion on which of these two models is a better value. The Ultra is 9mm and the Firestar .45 but I'm more interested in the gun itself than what caliber you may prefer. Thanks for all the help!

orchidhunter
February 11, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hard to find parts for the Star pistols. orchidhunter

Gunfighter123
February 11, 2009, 10:16 PM
I have the Star Firestar Plus ---- 14rd. shooting machine. What is not to like , has most of the features that I have paid HUNDREDS to have put on other handguns. Checkered front strap , hooked and checkered trigger guard , Ambi thumb safety , 3 dot sights etc. -- While I only have about 500rds. thru mine , it has NEVER had a malfunction and is real accurate for it's size -- as to size , about the same as a Walter PPK but with 14 rounds of 9MM:eek:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b199/Jailbird123/Star9mm.jpg

Ranger61
February 11, 2009, 11:06 PM
I have 4 Firestars: 9mm, two 40 S&W, and a 45. I don't own an ultrastar but have seen and handled one at a local gunshop. All 4 of them have been very good guns with no problems. They are heavy for there size but have been really reliable. The extra weight really helps with the 45 though. I do not really like sights with dots for target shooting but I must say that they shoot very well despite the sights. The 45 in particular shoots nearly as well as my Dan Wesson Pointman Minor at about a third the price. I think they are great guns for the money and I buy them whenever I find them at a localgunshop. The ultrastar is a different animal. It has a plastic frame and a double column magazine so it is lighter & holds more 9mm rounds than the Firestar. I might have bought it but the gunshop wants a little over $400 and I'm not sure I need another 9mm that badly. :cool:

kpbeckel
February 11, 2009, 11:22 PM
What would be a good price on the Firestar .45? I'm new to the world of Star pistols and would like to not pay more than it's worth/goes for.

Ranger61
February 12, 2009, 08:13 AM
I paid $275 for the 45 about 5 years ago that was the gun, about 85% blue, 1 Mag and no box. The most I paid was about 3 years ago a 40 in Starvel ( electroless nickel) 95% condition with 2 Mags in plastic box with all papers $320. The cheapest one was the 9 MM about 80% blue, no box, 4 magazines: $230. Mags on the aftermarket seem to run $30 each. :)

test drive
February 12, 2009, 10:35 AM
i have owned both. both were good guns. the ultra is a much more modern gun and better for cc. mags are costly but can be found.

Gunfighter123
February 12, 2009, 11:41 AM
http://www.gunsamerica.com/968477784/Guns/Pistols/Star-Pistols/Star_Ultra_Star_9mm.htm

A Ultra for $280 is what I found --- they may still have it -- Call them

candr44
February 12, 2009, 04:49 PM
I have the Ultrastar and the M45. They are both good guns but some of the early M45 pistols had a manufacturing defect that would cause the slides to crack. The later ones had no cracking problems. The large caliber and small gun make it a little more difficult to shoot. You can also carry it cocked and locked but I don't think I would trust the safety to stay locked. Mine seems to move too easily to trust it to stay on safe. Magazines are still available from Promag.

The Ultrastar is more pleasant to shoot and mine has been accurate and reliable. The grip is a little wide for a single stack magazine. They should have made this a double stack. Magazines are getting hard to find for it but I found some for mine athttp://www.ivanhoeoutlet.com. If I remember right, the safety has a decocker and is more holster friendly than the M45.

If I had to choose one, I would choose the Ultrastar. It is a more up to date design than the M45 and it carries more rounds. I have seen both these pistols going from $250 to $400 depending on condition, accessories, and greed of the seller. Stars can often be found under $300 in good condition and I don't think I would pay more than $350 if its like new and has the original box, papers, cleaning kit, and maybe some spare magazines.

Skans
February 12, 2009, 04:54 PM
Star makes good firearms, if you don't mind them being heavy. I have a Star Megastar .45 - nicely made, rugged firearm that shoots reliably and fairly accurately. Grip feels huge in my hand, though.

kpbeckel
February 12, 2009, 08:17 PM
Well, just picked up a new Sig today, might have to wait on the star till next paycheck. I like to design better on the Firestar, but definitely would feel better about the Ultra's newer design.

HisSoldier
February 12, 2009, 08:28 PM
Firestar, built like a tank.

Ben
February 13, 2009, 08:50 AM
Is that FireStar Plus single action? It looks nice. I've always liked that blocky design.

Ben

ZeSpectre
February 13, 2009, 09:47 AM
I guess I'm not the only one who misses STAR. They made some neat stuff.