PDA

View Full Version : AR Cleaning- And my discovery of Gunzilla

PDXGS
February 9, 2009, 12:31 AM
Hi all,
I was just cleaning my AR after 150 rounds of practical rifle practice yesterday. My father, also a shooter, recently sent me a bottle of Gunzilla so I gave it a try.
My wife usually raises hell when I clean my guns in the house. Tonight, silence! And the damn stuff removes carbon and the usual sooty mess of the AR chamber and bolt in no quick time and with minimal effort.
I'm sold.
The AR in tonights story has ceramic coated components so it usually cleans up quickly but the Gunzilla made it much easier.
Here's a link to their site:
http://www.gunzilla.us/
I've got no personal stake in them other than to say that this product has moved to the front of my gun cleaning shelf.

Wildalaska
February 9, 2009, 12:36 AM
Now in contrast, we got samples of this stuff with all the usual ITS THE MOST REVOLUTIONARY GUN CLEANER EVER MADE hype and it was no better, and sometimes worse, than all of the other non wonder cleaners.

We still sell Hoppes :)

WildiusehoppeswipeoutbutchesandseetsmyselfAlaska TM

PDXGS
February 9, 2009, 12:59 AM
Yeah, and I still use Hoppes.
My experience tonight is that it cut my cleaning time in half and didn't set of the spousal Claymore! I let my father and his gun-toting pack make the first purchase of this product and they were polite enough to share a sample.
I'm sold.
Your mileage may vary....yadda, yadda, yadda...

Hey Wild, any M700/M40 Commemoratives gathering dust in your parts?

Wildalaska
February 9, 2009, 01:01 AM
I wish :)

WildbereftofsameAlaska TM

Rich636
February 9, 2009, 07:36 AM
"set off the spousal Claymore" lol, I have to remember that. Do you mean it is oderless so it didn't make her mad? I know Hoppes can be smelly, although I like it :)

JAYBIRD78
February 9, 2009, 07:43 AM
I still use hoppes at the CLEANER.

I use Weapon Shield as my Lube/Protector.

PDXGS
February 9, 2009, 08:49 AM
I've been using Hoppes as a cleaner, Sweet's as a copper remover and Weapon Shield as a lube on most of my firearms- My primary Ar has ceramic coated internals and does fine w/o lube...
The Sweets and Hoppes should be used in a well-ventilated area...whereas the Gunzilla can be used inside. I still vent as much as possible.
The smell of Hoppes has been etched into my brain since the age of seven when I started cleaning guns with my dad...personally I like it too in small doses.
I guess my point is that it was nice to have a cleaner that didn't stink up the place and that actually worked to remove heavy carbon (AR bolt and chamber) with very little effort.
My M1A will still get the Sweets,Hoppes,Weapon Shield and grease it needs but I'll likley try so clean some parts with Gunzilla to see how well it does.
Again, just my $.02...worth everything you paid for it!

Horseman
February 9, 2009, 09:43 AM
I still use Hoppe's once in a while but mostly I like Ed's Red. It cuts carbon faster/bettter than Hoppes IMO. And just like with Hoppe's I use a dedicated copper solvent anyway. I usually start with Ed's Red then a shot of Gunslick foaming bore cleaner. Let sit for 15min. Another few patches of Ed's Red and I'm set for the next match.

Al Thompson
February 9, 2009, 10:27 AM
Having been in the same boat with the smell factor, this is good info for domestic tranquility. :)

In my case, divorce worked too - but was a bit more expensive. :eek: :D

Scorch
February 9, 2009, 12:21 PM
In my case, divorce worked tooYeah, that's pretty much a cure-all, but expensive. On the other hand, I coud sleep in late, go to bed late, go hunting on Sunday, go fishing with my friends pretty much any time I wanted for a few years. But I digress.

I have heard reports both ways about Gunzilla: best cleaner ever, worst cleaner ever, so I still use Hoppe's. But it's not the same stuff as when I was a kid (Now in the NEW IMPROVED California-approved, lab rat cancer safe formulation!!! Same great scent!!! Impress your friends!!).

Alleykat
February 9, 2009, 02:20 PM
Simple Green's pretty good. I've been using Butch's Bore Shine with fine results. Just be sure and lube with THE REAL lube, Mobil 1, 15W50, and not something sissified, like RemOil!!!:cool:

Bitmap
February 9, 2009, 02:53 PM
I've used Hoppe's and CLP and never had a problem. My wife doesn't even mind the smell of Hoppe's.

TheManHimself
February 9, 2009, 04:54 PM
Sounds like a similar product to MPro-7/Hoppes Elite. Non-toxic, odorless, water-based, and more effective on carbon than petroleum-based cleaners.

rgates
February 9, 2009, 08:11 PM
I'll stick with Weapon Shield. Best cleaner, lube, protectant I've used and non-toxic, no stink.

This was an interesting thread related to this but you have to read it through to the end.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265198

mdshooter
February 9, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hoppes smells like guns... it smells like freedom. I, for one, was "free" to move my gun cleaning operation out to the shop. :D

nbkky71
February 9, 2009, 08:36 PM
I grabbed a bunch of Gunzilla samples up at Camp Perry a few years ago. I've had good results with it as well and use it to clean the bore in my service rifle.

It doesn't work too well as a copper solvent, but I think it mentions that in it's literature

dcobler
February 9, 2009, 10:51 PM
I still have a generous supply of CLP and a bottle of Hoppes laying around, but if the stocks ever run low, I may give it a try.

Three44s
February 10, 2009, 12:11 AM
I "waited" a long time ..........

........ a very long time ...........

BUT for my wait ......... I found a wife that likes to shoot ........

........ and cleans her own guns ............

I can use whatever works for gun cleaning ..........and she's usually right there cleaning her guns with the same stuff!!!

Three 44s

rgates
February 10, 2009, 08:35 AM
........ and cleans her own guns ............

I can use whatever works for gun cleaning ..........and she's usually right there cleaning her guns with the same stuff!!!

Even cleans her own... You really got 1 in a million.
Congratulations.