PDA

View Full Version : SAA Clones

AMT8951
February 7, 2009, 10:23 AM
Who makes the best Single Action Army clone, for less than $500?

Hawg
February 7, 2009, 11:02 AM
Uberti Cattleman.

sundance44s
February 7, 2009, 11:23 AM
I agree with Hawg 100% Uberti Cattleman .....I`ve had one for years , it was smooth out of the box ...very impressive workmanship.

DrLaw
February 7, 2009, 12:41 PM
Having some Uberti b-p revolvers, I have no doubt about their ability to handle black powder loads. I can load them light, I can load them heavy, and no problems.

So, here comes the silly question.

Insofar as cartridge guns go with Uberti, such as the Cattleman, I assume or presume that you folks who have one use smokeless powder?

So what kind of loads do you put through your Cattleman six-shooters? Once again, I assume that you are not loading heavy grizzly bear killers, but do you load low, medium or heavy enough to get the job done and still not blow it up?

This question comes because, in this area, I have no answer that I can fall back on from experience. I wouldn't mind having a 'cowboy' cartridge gun and was thinking along the same lines as AMT here.

So, can you fellows in the know tell me the answer to that question?

The Doc is out now, awaiting further education! :cool:

grendelbane
February 7, 2009, 02:41 PM
I usually use 8 grains of Unique under a 250/255 grain cast or swaged lead bullet. Or 7 grains of W-W 231.

You can load slightly higher than that, with no problem.

I don't understand why some people think that they are weak. They are capable of handling the first level of handloads for the .45 Colt. Just don't use data intended for the much stronger Ruger.

Hawg
February 7, 2009, 06:22 PM
In my 44-40's my preferred load is 35 grs. of bp under a 200 gr. RNFP but I do sometimes use 7.0 grs. of W231 and the same RNFP. Recoil isn't exactly modest with either one. I don't use light loads period so can't help with those.

DrLaw
February 7, 2009, 07:58 PM
Well, it's not that I think that the guns are weak. It's just that I do not have any experience with the SAA clones.

I remember back in the early 70's and late 60's there were some SAA clones that would not stand up to any real use.

As I said, I have Uberti B-P revolvers and they are tops in my book, but the SAA Uberti's, well, I have no experience with them to know what's what.

I've noticed that US Firearms SAA's are coming down in price now on some models. Any idea on the reason for this? They aren't Uberti's in disguise, are they?

The Doc is an enquiring mind now, but you won't find this info in the National Equirer! :cool:

Hoss Fly
February 7, 2009, 08:51 PM
Uberti Cattleman.
Dam Hawg- Cant say ya wrong that often -----------

Cimarron Mdl P of Fredericksburg, Texas. :D
Formeraly of Houston :cool:

Hawg
February 7, 2009, 10:00 PM
Dam Hawg- Cant say ya wrong that often -----------

Cimarron Mdl P of Fredericksburg, Texas.
Formeraly of Houston

He said under 500. Last time I checked a price on a Cimarron it was a little over 500. Sides a Cimarron is still a Uberti, just has a better finish.

mykeal
February 7, 2009, 10:29 PM
They aren't Uberti's in disguise, are they?
Nope.

Hoss Fly
February 8, 2009, 08:08 AM
He said under 500

If ya lookin at the MSRP i guess they wud show over $500 a tad :rolleyes:

Sides a Cimarron is still a Uberti, just has a better finish.

Ya wont find the word Texas wrote on no Uberti----------------------Naa nana na na

sundance44s
February 8, 2009, 09:33 AM
I have noticed USFA does list a single action called a rodeo for around 550.00
If I didn`t already have the Uberti ...that would be my choice ...when I bought my Uberti they were no where near the 500.00 mark though . I think I paid 250.00 for my Uberti ..now they are 400.00 and up ...for the model I have ......USFA `s 550 price tag looks purdy good .

mykeal
February 8, 2009, 11:46 AM
Ya wont find the word Texas wrote on no Uberti----------------------Naa nana na na
I have no idea what that means. Is the word Texas 'wrote' on any replica handguns?

Smokin_Gun
February 8, 2009, 01:28 PM
On the Texas Paterson, Texas Rangers Walkers.... me do believe.

SG

CraigC
February 8, 2009, 02:14 PM
Cimarron has their address stamped on the barrel which includes "Made in Italy", right next to the usual "A.Uberti, Italy" stamping. :p

I don't think I've paid much more than $500 for a Cimarron yet.

meathunter
February 12, 2009, 11:54 AM
Check the link, Uberti Cimarron for $405 @ Buffalo Brothers :D

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3974.html

I bought the old model in .45 and it handles hot loads well, and was pretty smooth right out of the box.

Hawg
February 12, 2009, 06:24 PM
Cimarron has their address stamped on the barrel which includes "Made in Italy", right next to the usual "A.Uberti, Italy" stamping.

My Cimarron says Cimarron Arms Co. Houston Texas U.S.A. on top of the barrel. Uberti, made in Italy, proof marks and date code are all under the ejector rod housing where you can't see it till you take the housing off.

VonFireball
February 12, 2009, 10:18 PM
My Cimarron says Cimarron Arms Co. Houston Texas U.S.A. on top of the barrel. Uberti, made in Italy, proof marks and date code are all under the ejector rod housing where you can't see it till you take the housing off.

Mine says Fredricksburg Texas instead of Houston.

Hawg
February 13, 2009, 04:52 AM
Mine says Fredricksburg Texas instead of Houston.

Yours is newer than mine. They moved.

CraigC
February 14, 2009, 11:40 AM
The barrel addresses on my 1872 Open Top and 1860 Richards Type II are on the top, with Fredricksburg, Texas. The Italian marks right next to it.

VonFireball
February 14, 2009, 05:51 PM
I'm still thanking myself for coming up with the extra hundred or so dollars for the stainless model. Nice and easy to clean. It's pretty much what I shoot at the range outside of rifles so it's get some serious use. Clean up is easy.

AMT8951
February 15, 2009, 05:42 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. BTW great link MeatHunter. Also, what about the single actions from Taurus, Charles Daly, Beretta, the Ruger Vaquero, etc. Are any of them worth looking at?

CraigC
February 15, 2009, 07:35 PM
Are any of them worth looking at?

They're all worth looking at. The Ruger, while it's close in dimensions and balance to a SAA, is not really a replica. Its lockwork is completely different, as is the feel. Nothing wrong with them, just different. If I wanted a quality replica in the $500 price range, I'd look at any of the Uberti-made imports. Cimarron is the only brand I'd buy sight unseen because their customer service is excellent, and most importantly, in Texas. I don't like the Stampede because I don't believe the transfer bar is necessary and I don't like their fake case colors. If I wanted a Ruger or a custom gun, I'd get the Ruger. If I wanted the highest quality SAA replica available, I'd look at the USFA Pre-War or Flat-Top Target model.

AMT8951
February 16, 2009, 09:09 AM
I don't want the highest quality replica, I want a good SAA for less than $500.00. The USFA guns a gorgeous, but to get one that isn't matt black, it'll cost me over $1000. What about Beretta?

CraigC
February 17, 2009, 02:44 PM
...to get one that isn't matt black, it'll cost me over $1000.

$786 was the last quote I got for the standard blue/case colored SAA. Come on, it's only another $286! :D