PDA

View Full Version : my first Sig...?

wolfe 21
February 7, 2009, 03:19 AM
went by my local shop today looking for a 1911. Didn't have much, so I looked at a Sig 229 in .40 S&W(12 round mag) with a rail and night sights according to the guy behind the counter, but being fully lit inside the store I couldn't tell for sure. I really liked it. It felt good, had good size for my hands and I could easily work all the levers, though I don't like how the slide catch is so far to the rear or the lack of some manual safety.

Anyway, I just have 2 questions:
1. are the night sights a good investment over the regular versions, and do they offer any benefits in normal firing conditions.

2. is 719.00 plus tax a good price? Seems about average from what I'm finding online, especially since the first of the year price hike.

Also, can anyone tell me if sigs come with 1 mag or 2 from the factory.:o

Playboypenguin
February 7, 2009, 03:31 AM
First off, the slide release being far to the rear is a nice design in my opinion. It is easier to access. The gun does not need a safety since it is a true DA/SA gun with a decocker.

To answer your questions...

1. I have little use for night sights but I do not have a problem with them. I can see where they could come in handy. I would never pay extra to get them, but I do not mind guns that come with them.

2. I am not sure of the price on the blued ones. I bought the elite stainless.

Wayward_Son
February 7, 2009, 08:38 AM
At that price it' s a steal. That's a very nice gun at a very good price in today's market. Sig 226s and 229s are going for about $900 around here.

#1 Moses
February 7, 2009, 11:28 AM
Its a new gun correct? with nite sights, nice price the night sights are pricy But the glow for 10 t0 12 years, you can also buy a 357 Sig barrel for the 229 and have two guns a 40 S&W & a 357 sig the 357 Siug is a awsonr round very flat shooting and powerful, Our pa game wardens went to Golock 31 in 357 sig and love them, very rifle like cartridge in many respects.

guypowell
February 7, 2009, 12:05 PM
I own a SIG 229, as well as several other SIGs, and can tell you that they are fine pistols. The price is pretty good IF it's a new one. In the 17 years I've spent in law enforcement I've never come to need my night sights as much as I did in my own front yard last summer while trying to shoot a Copperhead. Glad I had them!

AK103K
February 7, 2009, 12:23 PM
Price wise, for a new gun, its a good deal. I paid around $750 for my P226's and 229's with night sights, and that was a few years ago.

I'd suggest looking at both the P226 and P229 together, side by side if your looking. They are basically the same size, but each has a different feel.

Night sights are well worth the money. SIG's are easily replaced down the road. If you have a couple (if you get one, you'll soon have at least a couple :) ), the tool is well worth the money. Makes the sigts very easy to install, and can be used to adjust the sights too.

As was mentioned, if you go .40/357SIG, you gun can be either with a simple barrel swap. I'd get the 357SIG. :)

I have barrels for both, the .40's dont get out much.

wolfe 21
February 8, 2009, 01:50 AM
-Yeah, it was a new gun. I thought it seemed reasonable compared to the internet, but I wanted to check to be sure.
-I had heard about the barrel interchange for a different calibers on .40's, but I wasn't aware that the .357 sig was that good a cartridge. I honestly was interested in the .40 because it's what the state police carry here. Figured if it's good enough for them,...
I was looking for a 226 when I found the 229, but it seems lately that getting anything besides kimbers and hi-points in my area is incredibly difficult after the election. I guess the LE and military communities are taking up the majority of what's available right now or everybody is preparing for killer zombies or something... I only have a shot at the 229 because it has been in the dealer's case for a while.

benzuncle
February 8, 2009, 08:14 AM
I own 2 Sigs, a P220 Compact and a just-acquired P239 chambered in 357sig. The ability to change barrels in the 229 is a great feature. I've let 5 different people shoot the 357sig and they all said the same thing: is doesn't snap; it shoves like a 45acp. Good luck with your decision/purchase. I doubt you will be disapponted.

Logs
February 8, 2009, 08:20 AM
Or you could look for a used one for around $450- $500. Many CPO's are under $500 (Certified Pre Owned - Sig tuned them up). I prefer the standard sights myself.

Que
February 8, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'd suggest looking at both the P226 and P229 together, side by side if your looking. They are basically the same size, but each has a different feel.

I agree, look at both. I ended up going with the P226 DAK in .357 SIG. I will eventually have a second .40 barrel. I bought my 226 DAK in mint condition (possibly unfired other than the factory) for $559. Also, the DAK is a great trigger variation, basically DAO with two trigger reset postions. Mine came with a total of two mags.

hknut
February 8, 2009, 08:20 PM
My first Sig, I said that too about 14 years ago. Now I am on my 5th Sig and three still reside in the gun safe. They are excellent guns and will serve you well.

Nnobby45
February 8, 2009, 08:27 PM
Night sights may be of use in dim light, and really come into their own as it gets even darker. The white outline around the tritium if for the rest of the time.

Now that you have a DA/SA, train well with it so that you never forget to decock the pistol--especially under stress. If you have to think about decocking it, you aren't there yet.

Simple: decocking the pistol makes it safe. Forgetting to do so makes it hazardous. No in between. I give that advice because you appear to be new to pistols and to that system.

wolfe 21
February 8, 2009, 10:22 PM
Actually i've got 2 ruger handguns with the same DA/SA trigger design, though one's decock function also works as a safety. Still, I only shoot one maybe 200 rounds a year and haven't shot the newest one at all yet. My main experience is with single action army style revolvers and cocked & locked carry .22 autoloaders (ruger 22/45 and beretta neos). Neither of these seem like useful defensive arms, which is one of the reasons for the sig, the other being to familiarize myself with what is basically the standard duty issue pistol for several state and federal agencies. Everything else I ask is because of a lack of experience with centerfire handguns, sigs specifically.

Thank you,