PDA

View Full Version : 17 HMR - 1st group

McClintock
February 5, 2009, 09:47 AM
Hi, all.

Thought I'd post the first group I shot with a new Savage 93R17-F, with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope for sights. The weather was "nice" this past weekend (with "nice" being a relative term, -5 Celsius and with a 20 km/h cross-wind at a 45 degree angle to what we were shooting), so my dad and I decided to head out and play around with the HMR. What a fun little rifle to shoot!

Unfortunately, we only got one 5-shot group in each before the wind got worse (and consequently the wind chill), but I thought I'd post the results. My brother and I zeroed the rifle at 50 yards on Christmas day, so dad and I thought we'd stretch the distance out a bit. I was able to put 5 rounds into a 1-1/8 inch group at 145 yards, and I am by no means an expert marksman, so this little rifle makes me look good! I'm sure with practice, sub 1-inch groups would be possible at 150+ yards.

The picture may not be to scale, but it's an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper; I had to play with it a bit to get it to a size that would fit in the post.

hogdogs
February 5, 2009, 09:53 AM
Very nice first group! I hear the wind plays hell on those dinky bullets... So I guess you did real good.
Brent

Shamus
February 5, 2009, 06:01 PM
My experience with the 17HMR is, as you get the barrel and trigger broke in your groups will tighten up a bit.

I think getting comfortable with shooting the rifle will have something to do with it as well. After 500 rounds you'll be better for sure and after 1000 you'll never sell it. :D

73flyby
February 5, 2009, 06:13 PM
17 HMR is the only rifle I want right now, and for no good reason other than it can do exactly what you have demonstrated. (That's probably all the reason most would need.) It just looks fun.

armedtotheteeth
February 5, 2009, 07:40 PM
you would have missed :D

MacGille
February 5, 2009, 07:44 PM
My savage 9317 bvss will put 10 rounds into a .625 hole at 100 yd. I really don't have any use for the rifle but it makes me look so good I just kept it.:cool:

joe1347
February 5, 2009, 09:19 PM
My savage 9317 bvss will put 10 rounds into a .625 hole at 100 yd. I really don't have any use for the rifle but it makes me look so good I just kept it.

Which type/brand of ammo gives you the best groups with the Savage 17HMR?

73flyby
February 5, 2009, 10:08 PM
I might miss but I would not miss the fun of trying.

Ruger4570
February 5, 2009, 11:30 PM
Armed, he did put one shot into the Chucks NUTZ :D

stevelyn
February 5, 2009, 11:42 PM
I hear the wind plays hell on those dinky bullets..

It does. I still have no clue as to what my real "zero" is as everytime I shoot I'm battling the cross-wind of the day.

jpwilly
February 5, 2009, 11:51 PM
you would have missed :D

Armed, he did put one shot into the Chucks NUTZ :D

Ha ha ha...

RedneckFur
February 5, 2009, 11:56 PM
The 17HMR is an amazing little cartrige. Seeing groups like that make me want to break mine out!

McClintock
February 6, 2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks for all the comments, guys! Nice to hear from folks who have similar experiences with the HMR. It IS just too much fun.

I'm hoping the groups will tighten up a bit with frequent use (hoping the operator improves, as I'm guessing that's where most of the problem lies!), now if I could just find a cheap source of HMR ammo! The group I posted was using Hornady 17 gr. ammo, though when we zeroed the gun we used Federal (use whatever's handy, just keep shooting!). I've also got a couple boxes of CCI that I'm interested in trying out as well.

Yes, I would have missed 3 times out of 5, but I sure would have scared the crap out of him! :D

skinewmexico
February 6, 2009, 12:37 PM
For some reason, different manufacturers ammos will shoot radically different in 17s. And if you clean it, count on about 20 shots before it starts shooting well again.

armedtotheteeth
February 6, 2009, 01:11 PM
Mclintock- just razzing you man.. Nice shooting. You at least consistently missed. :D

McClintock
February 6, 2009, 09:55 PM
Armed - no worries, I figured you were just poking fun (though it is true, I did miss 3 times out of 5... :D). Thanks for the compliment, I think the gun deserves most of the credit, it's a better gun than I am a shooter! Hope to get out again shortly and bang out a few more rounds.

I'll try a few different kinds of ammo in it and see if I notice any difference, like I said, we zeroed it with Federal, and I shot my group with Hornady, so I'll try the CCI and see what happens.