PDA

View Full Version : What load

ultramagshooter
February 4, 2009, 02:07 PM
is recommended for a 300 mag for deer sized game and big game. I wanted to use 165 federal fusion amo for deer sized game and remingtons new copper tip bullet for big game. Remingtons new copper tip b.t looks good m.v 3290 m.e 3640.

Daryl
February 4, 2009, 03:27 PM
Use anything that shoots good in your rifle. The .300 mag doesn't need fancy ammo to kill a deer or elk.

Pick a load that uses any decent bullet and shoots good in your rifle, and use it. I'd avoid fragile type bullets simply because they'll ruin a lot of meat.

Daryl

bswiv
February 4, 2009, 03:31 PM
Daryl is right. You've got a ton of rifle there for shooting deer. Like he says think about how much meat whatever bullet you use is going to ruin. You may be hunting horns but there is no good sense in squandering the meat that comes along with the horns as a bonus.

ultramagshooter
February 4, 2009, 03:56 PM
the federal fusion bullets.

Daryl
February 4, 2009, 04:12 PM
Here's what Cabelas says about Fusion ammo:

Molecular bonding for perfectly uniform jacket
Designed for maximum weight retention
Boattail bullet
Excellent penetration and delivered energy

So, it's doesn't sound like it's fragile ammo. If it shoots good in your rifle, it'll more than do it's job on about anything you'll want to shoot with a .300 win mag.

The only word of caution I'll offer is that the bullet may be TOO well constructed. Heavily constructed bullets that are designed for large game will oft-times shoot completely through a deer withour much expansion; especially if you don't hit any bones. It'll still kill the deer, but it might run a few feet before it dies. For deer with that particular bullet, I'd suggest putting it through the front shoulder blade on the entrance side.

I've never shot the stuff in any of my rifles (I shoot handloads almost exclusively), but I've shot .300 win mag before. Like I said above, anything that shoots good in your rifle will work; I'd only stay away from fragile bullets because they destroy too much meat.

Daryl

HammerOfThor
February 8, 2009, 06:41 PM
Do you reload? If so the sky id the limit.

Fusion looks like good stuff, if it shoots well I'd use it for deer/elk/black bear/ moose/ whatever.

If you switch load types every time you hunt a different species your point of impact may be off. Don't assume it'll be the same with every load. I'd pick a load with a quality bullet and appropriate weight bullet and leave it at that. 165 grn Fusion is an appropriate weight for any big game other than maybe grizzly Bears.

crowbeaner
February 12, 2009, 09:55 PM
Try the Hornady 165 flatbase Interlock over 67.0 of WW760 or 67.5 of H414 in WW brass and a CCI 200 primer. If you shoot a 180, start lower and work up to 65.0. Mag primers will cause a bit of increase in the pressure, but I've used the CCI 250 for a lot of years because the performance is predictable with those 2 powders. CB.

Art Eatman
February 13, 2009, 08:53 AM
Ya ever notice that if you don't shoot Bambi in the eatin' part, you don't ruin meat? You don't shoot "a deer". You shoot a specific little 2" spot on a deer--preferably not in the hams or backstrap.

hogdogs
February 13, 2009, 09:12 AM
Art, That is why us sorry shots in florida need to "shoot *dozens* a deer":D:eek:
Brent

Daryl
February 13, 2009, 11:03 AM
Ya ever notice that if you don't shoot Bambi in the eatin' part, you don't ruin meat? You don't shoot "a deer". You shoot a specific little 2" spot on a deer--preferably not in the hams or backstrap.

You're right, Art, but even so, I've found that larger calibers/cartridges oft-times damage less meat than smaller calibers/cartridges.

For some reason, I've always got more meat/tissue damage from my .243 Win than I have with my 7mm mag.

The velocities, according to a chrono, are within about 10 FPS of each other on average with my loads, yet I get more damage from the .243. The 7mm mag punches through with less "violent" expansion, due to better bullet construction, perhaps.

This, even though I shoot the same bullet brand and style out of both cartridges.

That said, the 7mm mag does penetrate better on larger animals, which is what I'd expect.

Daryl

Byron Quick
February 13, 2009, 02:16 PM
I've had poorer performance on game taken with the .300 WM with bullets lighter than 180 grain. By poorer performance, I mean the bullet blowing up and making a hell of a mess. After having that happen to me a couple of times, I stick to 180 grains.

I don't know how to explain it but with deer taken with the same shot placement and same ammo, the deer shot at closer ranges(under 75 yards) have run the farthest. All but one of the deer shot at farther ranges have been DRT. The exception ran and fell under a tree within sight of my partner in some broom sage. And wasn't there when we walked over to check. No blood trail. Never found that doe.

BIGR
February 14, 2009, 12:42 AM
I used my 300 MAG on one deer hunt just to see how well it would perform. I was shooting reloads (180 Grain Hornady bullets) and it knocked a doe down like a sledge hammer. As far as the federal fusions I have taken several deer with the 180 GR. 30.06 shells (yea too lazy to load the 06 shells lately). The fusions did a great job.

indy245
February 15, 2009, 03:23 PM
I have been using 150gr. spitzer bullets from Sierra (one of the cheapest I can find) for Deer, Coyote, Raven, target, etc. I use 200gr. Noslers for Moose, Elk, etc. I would have no problem using the 150gr. on Moose and Elk they preform excellent on any deer I have shot. I use them because I reload and 100 bullets cost 20 bucks up here.

I shoot my deer in the head or the heart/lung. I usually don't ruin very much meat unless I miss my shot.

Indy.

armedtotheteeth
February 15, 2009, 05:41 PM
look at the Hornady SSTs. I use 180 Grain one s in my 300 Mag. They are very accurate, and dont expand too much. I bored a 4 foot long meat trench through a pair of large boars a few months ago. Worth a look!!
For powder, you want something slow, Like H4350, or IMR 4350

butta9999
February 18, 2009, 01:58 AM
I use 180gr Accubond in my .300 win mag, doing about 3000fps. They work fine. Have used woodleigh 200gr weldcore but they act like a solid if you dont hit bone, and as said before the animal can run off. Makes for a good tracking session though.

publius
February 18, 2009, 10:53 PM
the fusion is a great bullet, use it with confidence.

Like Art said, if you hit them right you haven't lost much, or any, meat. I even shot a whitetail doe w/a 416 rem mag once. straight pass through both lungs, no wasted meat.