PDA

View Full Version : Glock 38Super

38superhero
February 3, 2009, 07:48 PM
what r the chances of gettin a gunsmith to convert a glock to shoot 38 super?
i think only the mag would be a problem. on a G17,G19, or 357sig. some good ideas would be welcome.

goodspeed(TPF)
February 3, 2009, 07:50 PM
It can be done. But it's NOT worth it. May I ask WHY you would want to do such a thing?

Brian Pfleuger
February 3, 2009, 07:52 PM
Isn't it obvious? He's 38super-hero. Why else?

Not being condescending here... I assume he just likes the round so it would be fun to do? Why else be named (38super)hero?

goodspeed(TPF)
February 3, 2009, 07:55 PM
Well, laa dee daah. Why didn't you say so in the first place? *pulls decoder ring out

MXLPLXM

Webleymkv
February 3, 2009, 08:06 PM
I'm sure it could be done, but you'd probably have to do it on the larger frame such as a G20 or 21 because of the .38 Super's length. I'd think that it would require a different magazine and barrel and possibly modification or replacement of the slide do to the difference of the diameters of the caseheads (you might be able to get away with a stock 10mm slide but there's no guarantee). .357 Sig would give you nearly identical ballistics out of a stock handgun and 9x25 Dillon would give you superior ballistics with only a barrel change on a 10mm.

45_Shooter
February 3, 2009, 08:06 PM
The action would have to be long in order to cycle the 1.260" .38 Super, as in a .45 ACP or 10mm. These guns are quite large and bulky in Glocks, and many object to the size. Personally, I don't think the size would be justified by what is essentially a hot 9mm, but to each their own.

Mags would need to be custom made, and you'll need to make sure they play nice with the mag catch while you're at it.

Sights on a .45 or 10mm Glock would be way off for the comparatively light .38 Super; custom sights may need to be made, or adjustables fitted.

Obviously a custom barrel would need to be made.

Somehow you'll need to edit the extraction geometry (9mm slides and .45 frames don't mix unfortunately) to feed the semi-rimmed .38 Super. A 10mm slide may get you close but I bet it will still need some custom work.

The ejector will need to be edited or replaced to play nicely as well.

So, is it really worth all this money and trouble to get a significantly oversized and slightly hotter 9mm? I'd just get some 9mm NATO or +P+ and feed them to a G17 personally.

ljnowell
February 3, 2009, 10:07 PM
The glock .45s have a very nice recoil pulse, I wonder if the .38 super would be even softer shot out of that glock frame size?

Alleykat
February 4, 2009, 09:41 AM
The .40 Super makes the .38 Super look like the Barney Frank version of a 22 l.r. I've fired a few thousand .40 Supers through my G21, and the G21 handled the recoil just fine. Shooting a threaded, compensated barrel, it handled the recoil superbly. :)

floydster
February 4, 2009, 09:47 AM
Buy a .38 Super Witness Elite Match.